HeatherLeather

I wanted to make an order on Buckleguy and the shipping is 30$

Somehow this conversation reminds me of a time at a crafts fair where a leather belt maker offered an assortment of belts with "free" buckles. So I asked him for my free buckle. "Oh," he said, "you have to buy a belt first." So much for free.

I have to 'import' everything, with its associated s&h costs.

My nearest Tandy is about 150 miles away, but there is a big bit of water between me and them, its called the Irish Sea. Minimum ferry cost is about £260. So Tandy's s&h of £8 per order is very reasonable. Even Le Prevo's fee of £15.50 per large parcel is reasonable. I factor both into my costs breakdown; ie if I get an order of buckles and hardware from Le Prevo s&h is about £6.50, rolls of leather are £15.50, this is broken down at a pro-rata rate and added to each buckle or square foot of useable leather

As a lot of hardware, especially the likes of rapid rivets, are made in China I order from there directly. Some times an order from China has arrived before an order out of England. S&h for a China order is usually £0 or at most £0.99

37 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Somehow this conversation reminds me of a time at a crafts fair where a leather belt maker offered an assortment of belts with "free" buckles. So I asked him for my free buckle. "Oh," he said, "you have to buy a belt first." So much for free.

Most UK sellers changed their wording of 'Free' on their goods after a TV comedian did a skit where he went into a shop and consumed the 'free' portion of packs of biscuits, comfectionery and drinks. This skit prompted other ordinary people to do the same. Most companies now put 'extra ~ % for the same price'

I suppose the belt seller should have been saying; 'the buckle of your choice at no extra cost when you buy a belt' ~ but thats kinda long winded, aint it?

Edited by fredk

Kind of like Barry King who insists on charging $10 for shipping in a flat rate priority mail box when I would be very happy with first class for $4.