This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. soarsing

May I ask, what’s a 29k good for?

Thank you Chris, much appreciated.
  3. Today
  4. Crispin

St. Johns Eagle from the Book of Kells

Was very happy with how this turned out.
  5. Handstitched

Prepunching Holes?

Well, just to throw a spanner in the works. I dont use the ' traditional ' diamond awl, I use sewing machine needles in sewing awl hafts. Have done for the past 15 years This works just fiiiine for me, and may never work for anyone else .., it may not be ' traditional' ...but it works . Here are my awls. The one on the far left is the one I use all the time ,at the end on the haft, theres a tiny hole that I use to help push the needle through. However, depending on the job, and needs a heavier thread, I use the one in the middle or the one on the * right. ( *its actually a needle from ' Brutus' , my saddle machine ) . The sewing needles I use are ' John James Egg Eyed Harness needles # 1, or # 1/0 . The bit of wood on the far right, is a piece of soft ' MDF', so I have something to push against, mainly because my hands do have the usual aches & pains ( and maybe a bit of arthritis) and the wood helps, and doesn't damage the needles. I do sometimes pre-punch the holes , and sometimes do one hole at at time, however, I cant always hold both the needle & the haft in the same hand, my hands aren't big enough . I have used a pricking iron on occasion, and even used my saddle machine to make holes as well because my hands are so sore. . My preferences vary from one job to the next. . The bag is just one example of the end result , using the awl on the left, and a pair of JJ 1/0 needles. Each to his or her own. Everyone here is different . Just do what works for you. Thats my 2 cents worth . HS
  6. This was a fun project that turned out pretty good.
  7. Crispin

Re-enactment needle case

Where did you get the stamps?
  8. chrisash

How to cut belt tips and holes easy

Thanks, I never considered that, stored away in the little grey cells for possible future use, (assuming any grey cells left)
  9. Allotment17

Dieselpunk pattern sale

In my search for patterns and inspiration I've seen that Dieselpunk patterns on Etsy have a 25% off patterns sale today (11 hours left). Just thought I'd mention it here if it's of interest to anyone. https://www.etsy.com/shop/DieselpunkRo?ref=condensed_trust_header_icon_items
  10. RockyAussie

Dopp Kit Cover

Bloody hell ......You've done this tooling stuff before haven't you Tim I hope to see the finished dopp kit one day
  11. RockyAussie

The knife thickness is 2.5mm and when you have that on the 2 sides to cut the tip that becomes 5mm that has to be pushed somewhere in order to get through the leather. It is more noticeable on the 30 mm pla printed one because the knife is made to go out to a 38mm wide belt. Notice though that the leather belt piece still fits in tight once past the arrow head cut out in order to get both sides cutting equally. An advantage with the 3D printed jig is that it is the same drawing for each different belt strip except for the cut out section. Being able to use the one knife for several different width belt strips also saves the $$$$. Another advantage also with the printed version is that my first print was .6mm too tight and by taking another .3mm off of each side in the drawing it was printed again without all off my usual #%*^<> etc. I had forgot to allow for the edge coat thickness. The latter one has done now over a hundred belts and still looks like new.
  12. Constabulary

Adler 167 GK 373 - Which Oil?

when the machine was not in use for a while (maybe years?) I would generously oil the machine and not only on the oil ports also where moving parts come together (and there are a lot of moving parts). Let the oil maybe soak in maybe for a day (wicks are probably dry) and then remove access oil the next day. Oil will find its way and will drip off somewhere. I`m personally oiling the machine not before using I´m oiling when I´m done with the work so oil can soak in and I can wipe off access oil before I stark sewing so it will not "spill" when sewing.
  13. DanishMan

PAFFA skiving machine

I came across a skiving machine, but I have never heard of the brand - PAFFA. I presume it is German. Anybody who has heard of this brand? Cheers DanishMan
  14. chrisash

Hi Brian I dont understand the purpose of the arrow head cutout, please can you explain
  15. chrisash

I find scribing a light line on the leather first and then sewing stitch by stitch is the best way, as the jump action can easily have a mind of its own lightly pulling to either side even when the jump stitch is locked down. Tricky with only one hand on the leather and the other on the wheel, as Brian states lots of practice required but as the only machine it can be forced to do most things and threads up to #138, but 138 gives only a few feet of sewing per bobbin whilst 69 gives a lot more
  16. chrisash

I use one of these, so you can just put a measured drop in the holes and get into small places, but each to his own https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=Nl3bW7vDKdLgkgWK1KzgDg&btnG=Search&q=fine+detail+oiler&oq=clipart+or+Vector+drawings&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2020.21071.0.21622.27.24.0.2.2.0.88.1618.24.24.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.25.1555.0..0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1.0.iKJMRD0Rj5E
  17. YSRASupply

Oh ok thanks! As for actually oiling the machine... just a few drops in each hole/point? Lastly, can I use something like this to apply the oil? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YK76/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_2wZbDb15AAQ0A&nbsp;
  18. soarsing

Thank you v much Rocky for your reply, much appreciated.
  19. Constabulary

don´t worry to much about the oil, plain Lilly White oil works on most sewing machines you seldom really need special oils. Sewing machines Co´s back then tried to sell their own "special" oil, Singer and Pfaff did this as well.
  20. RockyAussie

Heat embossing machine, anyone with experience?

A fair bit of info got covered on this in this post that you could find of help -
  21. Hi there! I just got a (new to me) Adler 167 GK 373. This is my first machine ever and I'm really excited to start using it... One thing I wasn't sure on was if there is a particular oil I need for this machine? I found some documentation online for the machine and all it says is to use oil with viscosity at 20 degrees Celsius = cSt: 193,0 and viscosity at 50 degrees Celsius = cSt: 41,0 and a flash point of 224. From what I have gathered around here, most people are recommending Lilly White sewing machine oil but I haven't been able to find any specs on it... would that be ok for the machine? Also, having never owned or used an industrial machine before, how often do you recommend oiling and how much? Once a month and a drop or two of oil at each of the points on the diagram? Lastly, for reference I have attached the "directions for use" document to this thread... (was only able to upload the English pages because of file size limitations) Thanks! Adler 67 Directions for Use.pdf
  22. RockyAussie

Techsew 441

Another thing may be worth a check is that the 2 screws with springs that hold the shuttle race body are not screwed in all the way or too far. The springs should be just showing visible and the shuttle can be pulled in and out a little by hand. Also check that the bobbin is unwinding smoothly and not catching intermittently.
  23. Wizcrafts

Techsew 441

A 441 machine is a general description of a clone of a Juki TSC-441. In this case, the current Techsew 441 clones are the models 4100 and 5100. The OP may have forgotten the model number, or the machine is in a different location than his home at the time this was posted. My machines live in a shop that I am not in when I do my posting on this forum (too busy sewing).
  24. Tim Schroeder

Dopp Kit Cover

Thanks. This piece took 10 hrs to trace, cut and tool. I usually average about 1 hour per circle plus the fill in areas.
  25. mikesc

Durkopp Adler

"market place" is on the front page of the forum, scroll down the page until you get to "market place" and then look for "items for sale"..you need to click "machinery, sewing and stitching".. Or..click here https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/82-machinery-sewing-and-stitching/ Then decide which of the two categories applies to the machine that you want to sell..click that one.. Then when the page opens..click the button marked "start new topic".. Then post your description, with some photos that you have "shrunk" using the instructions in the page that Tom showed you.. Oh and if it says do you want to be notified of replies" ..click "yes"..so you'll know if there is any interest..
  26. Scoobie

Durkopp Adler

I will try again tomorrow . Thanks I don’t even know where the market place is ???? This site is not that friendly .
  27. Northmount

Durkopp Adler

Reduce the file size! See the following. This thread has several instructions and suggestions. Tom
  1. Load more activity