Big Steve

Big Steve's First Mugs

Well, have a look at these see what you think any comments good or bad most welcome, i give a special thanks to Angster for his help and advice.

post-13996-127909953919_thumb.jpgpost-13996-127909959706_thumb.jpg

Excellent work!

alb, i thank you for taking time to comment, i found Angsters tutorial very helpfull its worth taking a look at,

Regards, Steve.

Steve did some great work on these mugs. I'm going to have to step up my game, I think! Keep it up!!!

Steve did some great work on these mugs. I'm going to have to step up my game, I think! Keep it up!!!

Angster, "oh greatest master of the mug" thanks you for your encouragement, but as i told you the other day i could not have made them without your tutorial and your additional help, i plan to make more of these as they seem to have been well received by the people over here, what i have done is to number and date each mug i have made, you never know in years to come they may become collectable LOL.. hope the inside picture is ok if not let me know i will send you a better one no problem.

Regards,Steve

nice mug,

the ''wine glass'' is the first i've seen. Look's good

Edited by yan

nice mug,

the ''wine glass'' is the first i've seen. Look's good

Yan, i like the wine gobblet enjoyed making it the template was a Burger King coke cup .. cut out the bottom cut down the side add a bit on to stitch it up simple pattern, i could not leave the wife out now could i!! glad you like it thanks for taking time to comment.

Regards, Steve.

Hey Big Steve,

Did you seal your mugs with the wax/pitch mixture or something else? It looks really clear in the pics.

Jason

Hey Big Steve,

Did you seal your mugs with the wax/pitch mixture or something else? It looks really clear in the pics.

Jason

Hiya, Jason.. the sealer i used is brewers pitch it is what is used to line the inside of wooden beer barrels theres is no smell, taste and its not at all sticky like the pine pitch that you guys use

its all i can get in the uk. but i am well pleased with it and so are my customers, i can give you a contact in the uk if you wish its danjdclark@googlemail.com

Dans company is called Traditonal Materials dont know if he ships to US it cost me £10.00 for a 500grm block dont know if thats expensive or not. Thanks for taking the time to post if i can be more help then let me know by PM or whatever.

Regards, Steve.

Edited by Big Steve

Well, have a look at these see what you think any comments good or bad most welcome, i give a special thanks to Angster for his help and advice.

post-13996-127909953919_thumb.jpgpost-13996-127909959706_thumb.jpg

Wow! Those are amazing! For the mug on the top row, far right, how did you achieve the reptile skin look? Was it a stamp? I've been looking for somehow to do this as I've seen armor and such with this kind of look to it.

Thanks for any help!

Wow! Those are amazing! For the mug on the top row, far right, how did you achieve the reptile skin look? Was it a stamp? I've been looking for somehow to do this as I've seen armor and such with this kind of look to it.

Thanks for any help!

Urshag, these were the first mugs that i made, glad you like them the effect you like was not intended, first i used a small ball pien hammer and went over the surface to create a hammer finish that was all iwas trying to do, but as i said these were my first attempt and this one was the first in the wax dont know if it was the wax to hot or it was the leather as all these were made from off-cuts, i havev tried to do it again but with no results the tempreture was around the 180 degrees centigrade i have a deepfat fryer that i use for the wax, i hope this will help you if ican be more help you can email me bigsteve@hotmail.co.uk if you get tlme there more of my work on www.bigsteves.co.uk

lets have some pictures when you have done your mugs.

Regards, Steve.

Urshag, these were the first mugs that i made, glad you like them the effect you like was not intended, first i used a small ball pien hammer and went over the surface to create a hammer finish that was all iwas trying to do, but as i said these were my first attempt and this one was the first in the wax dont know if it was the wax to hot or it was the leather as all these were made from off-cuts, i havev tried to do it again but with no results the tempreture was around the 180 degrees centigrade i have a deepfat fryer that i use for the wax, i hope this will help you if ican be more help you can email me bigsteve@hotmail.co.uk if you get tlme there more of my work on www.bigsteves.co.uk

lets have some pictures when you have done your mugs.

Regards, Steve.

Wow, that's a shame! That's a hell of a good looking mug. It's a shame you can't replicate it. I'll give it a shot myself and see how it turns out. I checked out your site, awesome work! I'll post some pics of my first mug. :)

Any suggestions for any kind of reptile skin backgrounds? I have an idea to do some armor with that kind of a pattern.

Thanks for the info!

Wow, that's a shame! That's a hell of a good looking mug. It's a shame you can't replicate it. I'll give it a shot myself and see how it turns out. I checked out your site, awesome work! I'll post some pics of my first mug. :)

Any suggestions for any kind of reptile skin backgrounds? I have an idea to do some armor with that kind of a pattern.

Thanks for the info!

Urshag, there isa book called figure carving finesse by al stohlman it shows how to carve reptile skin petterns maybe that vwould help, thanks for checking out my work.

Regards, Steve.

Steve, those mugs are amazing. Im looking forward to having a go myself. I think I will try using 50% bees wax and 50% pitch based on what Ive read on here.

How long does it take to make each one?

Steve, those mugs are amazing. Im looking forward to having a go myself. I think I will try using 50% bees wax and 50% pitch based on what Ive read on here.

How long does it take to make each one?

OdinUK, the tooling can take me between 2 hours upto about 10 hours like the sheridan style mug, to stitch the thing together about 3 hours i use 1/8" spacing and i saddle stitch it, i dont use one of those auto awls i cant get on with them, the cutting of the parts and moulding the bottom about 1 hour , if i do a plain ones and dont get to many interuptions ican do 2 in a normal working day but then they nedd to be waxed/ pitched this i do in batches of around ten as it works out to be quicker and cheaper, dont know if this is about right i would be interesed to hear from other mug makers on how long it takes them to do them, you would be well advised to have a look at Angsters mug tutorial it will help you loads i think his tutorial should be pinned ,

Regards, Steve.