Greywynd

Leatherwork Benches/Spaces

Okay...I think I'm going to house clean a section of our old basement, and set up a spot for leather working. I have a granite slab that I'll try to recess into it for working on, and will likely go find a poly cutting board as well for using the cutting stamps on and recess as well.

Does anyone have any pictures of work benches/areas that they'll share? I'm looking for ideas to try to do this once.....

I recall in one of Al Stohlman's books he had pockets that worked to receive a board for things like splitters/skivers, that way they could be removed when not in use. I plan on doing something like that myself. Any other suggestions or ideas that I should look at?

Thanks everyone!!

This has been talked about a few times before. Here's a place to start looking. Workshops

There are some great ideas in the thread that Clay linked above.

Thanks, I'd been looking around, but hadn't came across that thread. I suspected that there might be something already!!

What sort of things are 'must haves' for people if they have just one bench to work on? Obviously a place to cut, as well as a marble (or whatever) block for tooling, stamping, etc...

I plan on building a stitching horse, so sewing will be done elsewhere.

Sockets for setting up things down the road, such as strap cutters, skivers and the sort.

Lighting of course is a requirement.

Tool storage, most seem to prefer along the back of the bench, so I'm thinking a shallow bench is better....no need to strain reaching across it then.

What do most people use for a work surface? Wood with a finish, or something else?

I'll have to see if I can find some of my books...I know I had the one that describes Al Stohlman's bench somewhere.......

Myself, i really don't have a dedicated place for my hobbies. We have an island in the kitchen. I set up on it to do my indoor hobbies. I have an old table leaf that I work off of and set my cutting board and slab/poundo on it. My light is an old flex lamp that is clamped to it. Plastic totes contain most of my supplies. Someday I'll take a pic for the other thread.

That looks great Ben. Great use of limited space.

Ben

Thanks for sharing, I am glad to see other carry more than one swivel knife.....I usually catch hell at our Saturday morning O.F.C. meeting at our Tandy LF.

Happy New Year's greeting from Round Rock, TX

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Here's some things that I shared in the past (pre-crash) on an ergonomic sit/stand bench and tooling racks.

Mobile_Ergonomic_Sit_Stand_Workbench.pdf Additional_Details_and_Notes_for_the_Mobile_Ergonomic_Sit_Stand_Leather_Tooling_Workbench.pdf A_Modification_of_Verlane_and_Dale_Tool_Racks.pdf

Regards,

Ben

All I can do is whine and snivel at that awesome work bench!! I want one. Wonder if Santa could bring me one this year. I mean heck he has 11 months to make it in! LOL

Kev

I read the Workshop topic and this one. I am interested to learn more about ways in which people store their stamps.

The block of wood drilled with lots of holes and stamps stored vertically seems to be a common solution. It seems like it would be useful if that block of wood were on an angle so you could see the tools easier. Anyone have a tilted stamp rack besides the masterpiece of tilting carrier a few posts above?

Does anyone sort their stamps into bevelers on this end, veiners in the middle and camoflauge on the far end OR do you just have them willy nilly in the hole filled block of wood?

How to you store your stamps? Are they always at the ready or do you have set up time where you pull out the stamps and arrange them in some fashion?

I've organized my stamps a few ways, and this has been the easiest for me right now. I used to use old fence post sections with the holes drilled in them. They were cut to fit inside metal tool boxes. It made it handy to keep to keep them upright. That was about it. At that time I was getting a lot of old tool sets and had a lot of stamps. I tried to organize them by type. Problem was I'd get some new ones and have to shift everything around. Then you'd forget to put one back and then there wouldn't be a hole for it. A lot of people can make it work, I can't. It would be easier now that I downsized my stamps.

I am attaching some pictures of what I've been doing for the last few years. The stamps are organized by type into individual cups. I drilled a small hole in the bottom and then bent some pegboard hooks to feed up from the bottom and hold them at an angle. When I am sitting the stamps all face out to me so I can see the heads pretty well. Originally I used small plastic juice cups to store them, but the clear color of the cup blended in with the silver finish of the stamps and made it kind of hard to pick them out. The green cups are actually pill vials and the green background makes it easier to see the stamps. The pegboard is to the right of my stamping rock and also holds the swivel knives, mauls, and push beaders and ticklers. In front of the rock is a small wooden block that holds a couple swivel knives and about 20 or so stamps for the ones seeing action on that pattern.

As far as setting up beforehand. Sometimes I'll pull out what I know I need and have them ready. Other times I'll pull them as I go. I keep them in the wooden rack until I'm done though.

A tip for angling the wooden block - Drill all your holes first in a square block. Then prop up the back upper edge and run it through a band saw - cutting the bottom off at an angle.

IMG_0001__2_.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002__2_.JPG

post-29-1232942535_thumb.jpg

post-29-1232942554_thumb.jpg

post-29-1232942574_thumb.jpg

Reply to resqman,

I haven't been at this but a few weeks. I don't have a dedicated work space for leather working yet. I did throw together a toolbox so I could get my leather stuff out the way quickly without having to put it all into a box. Photo attached, I hope. :-)

Pat

toolbox.jpg

post-8518-1233109854_thumb.jpg