TomE

First bridle completed

Since I took the time to photograph this and upload to another thread on this forum, I decided to post it here as well.  Sorry for the spam.  I appreciate your feedback to improve my craft.  This "practice piece" was made from imported veg tan.  I'm cutting out a second bridle from HO bridle leather now that I've finished a prototype and have a better idea how to do this.

bridle-cropped.jpg

Looks really good! 

Not much practice piece in my opinion. This would look good on any horse.

Is the throat latch "sandwiched" between the neck piece and lining? (just out of curiosity)

Brgds Jonas

1 minute ago, Mulesaw said:

Looks really good! 

Not much practice piece in my opinion. This would look good on any horse.

Is the throat latch "sandwiched" between the neck piece and lining? (just out of curiosity)

Brgds Jonas

Thanks, Jonas!  Yes, the throat latch consists of 2 points with a skived square of leather on one end that tucks between the head piece crown and padding.  The squares are secured by both lines of stitching on the head piece.  It is patterned after a Antares bridle.

I am impressed that you wanted to make a test piece first, after all it is not a small fast project to make a bridle. 
Did you sew the brow band (or what it is called in America) on a machine? Those stitches look incredibly small and good.

51 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

Did you sew the brow band (or what it is called in America) on a machine? Those stitches look incredibly small and good.

We call it a brow band or a front. It’s sewn by hand but using #207 nylon thread from my machine. Marking holes with a pricking iron and decreasing the stitch size improves the appearance of my sewing. :)