Jhunter13

2nd Attempt - Knife Sheath

Still dont have any edging or brandishing tools, so the edges are pretty raw.  Got too close with my second row of stitching, but way better thany first attempt.  

Always looking to improve, so feel free to let me know of you see anything that could be improved upon.  

Screenshot_20220313-200350_Gallery.jpg

20220313_200646.jpg

20220313_200743.jpg

You need to go to Harbor Freight . . .  buy one of these . . . https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html

It is a little 30 inch belt sander.  With it you can sand down the edges of your sheaths . . . so they are perfectly flush . . . no matter how many layers you use.

Take off the plastic guard on the top roller . . . and you can do the inside of your curves with it.

It's the best 60 bucks you will ever spend as far as finishing tools is concerned.   I own two of them . . . 

AFTER you finish sanding the edges smooth . . . take a stitch guide and set our outside stitch line . . . adjust it and set your inside stitch line . . . or use a set of dividers.  I prefer the stitch guide as it actually cuts a little trough for the top stitches to lay in . . . but for a knife sheath it is six of one . . . half dozen of another.

The other tool is of course is an edger  . . .  get a #4 for knife sheaths . . .  and you can burnish them with a piece of canvas . . . and a little bit of water.

I didn't do this sheath . . . but it gives you an idea of what the edge should look like.  Notice he has a full length welt in there as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

tan sheath.jpg

You can even burnish with a piece of dowel. Sand it nice and smooth. Then dampen the edges and rub. It doesn't take fancy tools to get good results.

37 minutes ago, Dwight said:

You need to go to Harbor Freight . . .  buy one of these . . . https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html

It is a little 30 inch belt sander.  With it you can sand down the edges of your sheaths . . . so they are perfectly flush . . . no matter how many layers you use.

Take off the plastic guard on the top roller . . . and you can do the inside of your curves with it.

It's the best 60 bucks you will ever spend as far as finishing tools is concerned.   I own two of them . . . 

AFTER you finish sanding the edges smooth . . . take a stitch guide and set our outside stitch line . . . adjust it and set your inside stitch line . . . or use a set of dividers.  I prefer the stitch guide as it actually cuts a little trough for the top stitches to lay in . . . but for a knife sheath it is six of one . . . half dozen of another.

The other tool is of course is an edger  . . .  get a #4 for knife sheaths . . .  and you can burnish them with a piece of canvas . . . and a little bit of water.

I didn't do this sheath . . . but it gives you an idea of what the edge should look like.  Notice he has a full length welt in there as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

tan sheath.jpg

Thats for the tip on the sander- was using a razor blade....not that well might I add.  

27 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

You can even burnish with a piece of dowel. Sand it nice and smooth. Then dampen the edges and rub. It doesn't take fancy tools to get good results.

Thanks. - Ill try the dowel rod!