Silverd

Prototype Manbag

Inspired by a commissioned project for a manbag, this version is an attempt to soften the edges and improve the refinement.  Looking for opinions as I've only made one before.  Thought I should probably carry this one for a while to see what I learn

Silverd

Screenshot_20220313-175618_Gallery.jpg

Looking good. 

My only concern is the metal "feet" on the bag. A bag of this size will often be put on a table or a desk, and if it is a polished surface, chances are that those feet are going to leave some marks.
I guess that if the feet were made out of leather, in theory some small grits of sand or stone could embed in them as well, if the bag was put on the ground. However this doesn't look like a bag that you'd put down at e.g. a bus stop, so that might not be a problem.

Brgds Jonas

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

Looking for opinions as I've only made one before. 

I always have opinions :D

Overall opinion: I love it, it looks rigid and durable like an old Swiss army map satchel but at the same time with luxury touches like the turned or polished edges.  I can't quite figure out what you did with the strap attachments but it's a great idea, I find what often happens in other bags is the strap keeps hitting the top flap and ends up bending and damaging it over time (particularly any edge finish on the flap would be ruined within days).  The way you've done it it keeps the straps further out and clear from the flap which is great.  Now since you've made more room for the flap maybe you could take that opportunity and make the flap a little wider, it would help it sit better over the bag and cover the openings, and would give you some room to make those two folds you made.  Kind of like this (obviously a totally different bag and softer leather, just look at the flap design)

I'd also probably lose the feet, instead I would consider stitching the bottom the other way round, if you know what I mean?  Turn the bottom the other way with the edges facing down and then stitch.  You lose a tiny bit of interior space but you get a nice, rigid bottom that helps the bag stand and doesn't make this annoying sound when you put the bag on a hard surface.  Probably easier to stitch from the outside too.

Another option to consider is a simple leather strap and loop closure, it is visually appealing on those tall & narrow bags because it follows the lines of the bag.  Like this one.  (Or a simple strap and buckle would do the same). 

What are the rivets on the front, is there an interior pocket?  Do you have more photos? 

Well done anyway, it looks great as it is, just throwing some ideas in case you make another.

Cheers

SP

10 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Looking good. 

My only concern is the metal "feet" on the bag. A bag of this size will often be put on a table or a desk, and if it is a polished surface, chances are that those feet are going to leave some marks.
I guess that if the feet were made out of leather, in theory some small grits of sand or stone could embed in them as well, if the bag was put on the ground. However this doesn't look like a bag that you'd put down at e.g. a bus stop, so that might not be a problem.

Brgds Jonas

20 Years ago I did some work for a company that had 2 custom conference tables made at a cost of 14,000 each the first day they were in a guy walks in and throws his briefcase on the table not good the company had glass fitted to the tops your concern made me think of that the company was Digital Equipment 

3 hours ago, Samalan said:

20 Years ago I did some work for a company that had 2 custom conference tables made at a cost of 14,000 each the first day they were in a guy walks in and throws his briefcase on the table not good the company had glass fitted to the tops your concern made me think of that the company was Digital Equipment 

14 hours ago, Silverd said:

Inspired by a commissioned project for a manbag, this version is an attempt to soften the edges and improve the refinement.  Looking for opinions as I've only made one before.  Thought I should probably carry this one for a while to see what I learn

Silverd

Screenshot_20220313-175618_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220313-175719_Gallery.jpg

Having challenges with reducing image size but managed to attach two more that hopefully show some of the details.

That said; thank you for taking the time to respond to my request for feedback.   Very meaningful comments and excellent points.

I had some fun with the strap and the strap attachment details.  I wanted to use those unique yoke connectors and so created flange gussets that poke though the bag from the inside.  The intermediate straps are skinny to fit the yokes then transition to a 1" wide main strap via a buckle.  The main strap has foam inside to soften the carry.  It's subtle but noticeable.

The addiition of feet was certainly a big decision that effected the look and function of the bag.  Ultimately I consulted with several women who liked keeping their bags off dirty surfaces when setting them down.  I do sometimes flip the molded bottom the other way which works but this gives the bag a differen look.  I liked the beveled edge at the bottom that the molded bottom creates.   

Rivets on the front serve to attach a phone slide pocket on the inside.

Silverd

Screenshot_20220314-082656_Gallery.jpg

13 hours ago, Spyros said:

I always have opinions :D

Overall opinion: I love it, it looks rigid and durable like an old Swiss army map satchel but at the same time with luxury touches like the turned or polished edges.  I can't quite figure out what you did with the strap attachments but it's a great idea, I find what often happens in other bags is the strap keeps hitting the top flap and ends up bending and damaging it over time (particularly any edge finish on the flap would be ruined within days).  The way you've done it it keeps the straps further out and clear from the flap which is great.  Now since you've made more room for the flap maybe you could take that opportunity and make the flap a little wider, it would help it sit better over the bag and cover the openings, and would give you some room to make those two folds you made.  Kind of like this (obviously a totally different bag and softer leather, just look at the flap design)

I'd also probably lose the feet, instead I would consider stitching the bottom the other way round, if you know what I mean?  Turn the bottom the other way with the edges facing down and then stitch.  You lose a tiny bit of interior space but you get a nice, rigid bottom that helps the bag stand and doesn't make this annoying sound when you put the bag on a hard surface.  Probably easier to stitch from the outside too.

Another option to consider is a simple leather strap and loop closure, it is visually appealing on those tall & narrow bags because it follows the lines of the bag.  Like this one.  (Or a simple strap and buckle would do the same). 

What are the rivets on the front, is there an interior pocket?  Do you have more photos? 

Well done anyway, it looks great as it is, just throwing some ideas in case you make another.

Cheers

SP

The cover flap as you point out is a bit narrow.  Not sure why it got reduced but I have made adjustments to the pattern that adds a 1/8" to each side.  

Screenshot_20220314-085543_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, Silverd said:

Screenshot_20220313-175719_Gallery.jpg

Field testing the best possible thing you can do . Very nice job on that bag and turning the bottom over is a great idea. Nice work.

Love the color what's the finish if you don't mind me asking.

Fiebings Pro Walnut.  I precondition with saddle oil then apply die with spray gun.  

A few eons ago, late 1960's, I got some geological field cases from Roy Gfeller in Idaho.  These were weatherproof with a wide area where the cover folded over.  Another grad student modified his case by adding a 3/4" or so piece that came down on each end of the case so when 'hinged' shut, there was that much of a weather seal.  He did that mod for other students and sent one to Roy.  It never saw production, though he liked it.  I think if you could add even a half inch down on each end of the cover it would add a lot to the weather tight aspect of a man bag.

God bless

4 hours ago, MikeRock said:

A few eons ago, late 1960's, I got some geological field cases from Roy Gfeller in Idaho.  These were weatherproof with a wide area where the cover folded over.  Another grad student modified his case by adding a 3/4" or so piece that came down on each end of the case so when 'hinged' shut, there was that much of a weather seal.  He did that mod for other students and sent one to Roy.  It never saw production, though he liked it.  I think if you could add even a half inch down on each end of the cover it would add a lot to the weather tight aspect of a man bag.

God bless

Very much like the input. 

Making the vessel more weather resistant pushes it more toward a utilitarian entry.   I recently purchased a 2020 Land Rover Defender 400p.  If you are familiar with this vehicle you are either impressed by how the designers balanced functional esthetic elements along side luxury amenities normal to other land rover products...or you are not.  Either way,  Its a fine line to walk is my point.  My goal for this bag was the same but on a much smaller scale. And although my execution has left room for improvement i want to say the premis at least.  has been preserved, in my opinion.  A realization that ive found when designing handbags is that available hardware has a big influence on what can be done.   The strap attachment fittings in this case drove the utilitarian / luxury design concept that I had been looking for.  That said, living in dry So Cal has also influenced my design such that including a robust flap labyrinth was not perceived as a feature priority.  If however I lived on the east coast of USA, it would have been.

Silverd

Screenshot_20220314-215602_Gallery.jpg

That sunglasses holder is THE BOMB! Never seen that before in a bag and I’ve seen a lot of bags. I’m like “duh” this makes so much sense. 

Do I assume you sew the bottom to the front and sides before attaching the back to the sides. nice job

Very nice work

Thank you.

The sunglass tube I sew on a Claes 30 patcher.  Then rivet into place.  Works very well. 

Bottom of case is sewn to the front, back and sides, then everybody gets folded up and glued then stitched up the four corners.   Strap keepers are attached all before hand.

This is the 2nd prototype of a more refined 2 peice design with molded bottom.

Screenshot_20220417-210512_Gallery.jpg