Had a customer make a request for a rifle scabbard. We met and went over a few details / notes (color, stitching color, general layout, carry handle, shoulder strap, etc). Gave me a lot of free range on the design. Few phone calls back and forth to go over some things as things progressed.

Took a lot of work. Lots of head scratching to figure things out and sketching out carving ideas and themes.

I'm very happy with how it turned out and more importantly the customer is ecstatic with the results. It's was a big piece and very strong. Gonna be hard to part with it.

One these days I'll invest is a better means to take better pictures.

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

you did a fantastic job

Very nice

Awesome work.  Love all of it, especially the tooling.

Great job.

I really like the detail with the closing strap that it forms like an "acorn" on the end. That really looks good.

Very nice! Lots of work in these big projects, mental and physical.

wow...... I have plans to make a scabbard for my uncle but here I am trying to put my cajones on the line by buying a piece of leather that will be big enough for the job, not to mention the time it will take and all the screw ups I'll probably make on said leather within said time!     

This is great! Even got some trash on his horns. Was it one of his? Quite a project.

Thanks for the kind feedback. The deer carving wasn't on of his, just one of many sketches that seemed to turn out. Of all the carving the deer worried me the most. It's one thing to be able to draw it on paper.

I did a lot of patterning with paper and poster board. Lots of checking, double checking and triple checking before I would commit. Even had to put together in an order that I didn't paint myself into a corner.

On the carving designs:

1.  I would draw it out on paper first, erase, adjust and get things just the way I wanted.
  2. Then trace it on tracing paper.
  3. Case the leather and position the tracing paper where I wanted it.
  4. Trace the tracing paper again (usually with a ball point pen) to transfer the pattern to the leather.
  5. And finally swivel knife away.

So I would literally draw the same thing 4 times.

Edited by pmieras2000

3 hours ago, pmieras2000 said:

Thanks for the kind feedback. The deer carving wasn't on of his, just one of many sketches that seemed to turn out. Of all the carving the deer worried me the most. It's one thing to be able to draw it on paper.

I did a lot of patterning with paper and poster board. Lots of checking, double checking and triple checking before I would commit. Even had to put together in an order that I didn't paint myself into a corner.

On the carving designs:

1.  I would draw it out on paper first, erase, adjust and get things just the way I wanted.
  2. Then trace it on tracing paper.
  3. Case the leather and position the tracing paper where I wanted it.
  4. Trace the tracing paper again (usually with a ball point pen) to transfer the pattern to the leather.
  5. And finally swivel knife away.

So I would literally draw the same thing 4 times.

lol just 4 times. I would have had to practice a couple of times on scrap also. 

Beautiful job - you should be very proud of making something that will be a keepsake for him!

Beautiful job on that case Beautiful

lol just 4 times. I would have had to practice a couple of times on scrap also

-The first drawing is the time consuming one. Lots and lots of tweaking before I can finally commit.

Thank you all. I'm very pleased with it. Get's delivered tomorrow or Thursday. 

Edited by pmieras2000

Very cool, this is on my list of things to make for show and custom orders, I want a few for myself aswell but you did a very nice Job!