Hairic

What should the Ultimate Tool holder have?

So I seen someone post earlier sometime a really cool, tooling/carving holder or tool box if you will, and I was thinking about making something that would work for me, However I only just started so I was wondering what the "ultimate" tooling/carving tool box would be able to hold, if you had to have everything you need handy, Im thinking just something that sits on the counter where you do your work and just has everything handy.  I really ask so I can think about things to incorporate in mine that I'm sure I am not thinking of, basically can only thing of the "stamping" tools and knives, what else could have a spot that I am not thinking of?

I have several tool boxes, the sort meant for car mechanics, which hold the various tools for leather crafting. These sets are divided into, sewing, cutting & marking et cetera. The top set of drawers on one unit is devoted to my alphabet & 3D/2D stamps

toolbox 01s.jpg

I keep handled stamps in three of these boxes meant for paint brushes. They reside on the top, at the back, of one of my work benches

paint brush box, 01ss.jpg

The stamps are divided into their code numbers and put in these. I can see the design of the stamp easily.

Right on, yeah the work bench I'm going to build is going to be like one giant cabinet/ toolbox, with a 4x8 cutting top for cutting and working on, I plan to put most tools and supply's under the table in drawers just like a giant tool box I suppose.  I want stations in my shop if at possible, So I guess my question was more pointed at just the tooling station, Like your paint brush box, but if all the tools needed for tooling and carving could be in one rack and always accessible what all would be held in it other than bevellers and knives ect.... you all ever run into needing scissors or an exacto knife, tape, glue, lol I dunno anything else that might be just for that one station.  I plan to have pens and pencils handy, I just want to build like one rack that holds it all, so its neat and I can memorize where things are and just grab and go and not have to open a drawer or very seldom if possible.

The obvious one (which I forgot to build a place for) would be the maul/mallet(s - however many you use). Maybe also something for water (bottle holder?) and sponge. A place to store your granite, if it's not permanently integrated in the workbench. I don't have enough experience to think of more, sorry.

But I always have wondered why the stamping tool holders you can buy have the tools standing up vertically. I'm working sitting down and find it easier to see the tools if the box is at an angle (so that the working end of the tool is facing me), so that's what I built.

Well I seem to keep adding and changing over the years.  Pictured is my carving/tooling area.   Its just a old.wooden desk I got at auction for  A dollar.  I did raise it up cause I like sitting higher with a stool I have.   The drawers hold letter and number stamps,  some misc tools, extra mallets etc.   I also added some drawers on wheels left and right for more storage.  Again part of an old desk that was gonna be tossed. 

In front of me are my stamps.  They sit on an angled board so I can see them better and grab when needed.  To my left is a holder for edgers, groovers , awls, etc etc,  also left is modeling spoons, setters etc,  on my right I also have stamps and swivel knives, exacto knifes and pencils,  in front is my tooling stone that goes rhe whole way across,  I have punches , bone creaser, and some other stuff sitting behind it.  

On my right is a machinist style chest I built to house fancy tools.  This is clearly overkill but I like it and over time I hope to fill it with higher end leather tools.  Currently it holds, some Barry king mallets which I can grab,  I also have some very nice Ron's tool montana edgers,  some pricier 3d stamps, etc etc.

Anyway there is a great thread somewhere on leather worker with shop setups lots of great ideas.  

What works for you is what is best!   I doubt I'll ever have a ultimate setup.  But I like what I have.

20220323_143136.jpg

20220323_143105.jpg

I don't do stamping/tooling, ie making patterns on the leather, but just like FREDK I keep all my leatherworking tools in a mechanic's tool chest which has a cupboard base for some of the bottles & jars of dyes, oils,  & solvents. This leaves my desk top completely clear for work

I use the drawers for leather tools like knives, awls,  edge bevellers, needles & thread  and also for rasps & files for knife making

I have a plastic storage box for most of the dyes, solvents, & glues, to contain any possible leaks & spills

I keep my whisky in a cupboard in the kitchen, but it's only next door, so that's not a problem

Edited by zuludog

This thread got me thinking, so when a local autoparts store coincidentally had a special members offer (35% off) on some of their tool chests I figured it was time to get rid of the large tackle boxes that I stored some of my tools in. It is a "house brand" but the quality is far better than I expected. My stamps and punches are still stored in a cupboard but I still have some room in the shelves so may re-organise things later. As it has a lockable lower section I decided to use it for storing powder and primers as the shed is also where I reload. That got rid of another toolbox off the floor!

Oh, and the only reason it would fit is because after remaking the table for the Cowboy machine I got carried away and cut down the other two tables in the shed!:lol: I realised that for what I do I don't need full-width tables for the machines. The post-bed was a bugger because I had to completely dismantle everything and reduce the width of the metal frame but the Seiko was simpler, I just removed the machine so it didn't get any sawdust in it and then lopped off the table that overhung the frame.

Tool cabinet a.jpg