Viking

Viking sea serpent holster.

Made the holster yesterday & today - not the Gunbelt. The gunbelt I made about a year ago. (My first one) I wanted a holster for my S&W 66, as the holster I made for this rig originally is for a Cimarron .357. I’m not a fan of Colt clones as I much prefer Ruger Single actions. And I wanted the holster to ride higher than a traditional western holster. Those were some huge belt loops, but they seem to work just as well. I’m hoping it will see more use now, with a more practical gun.

I always have trouble getting the vinegroon to apply evenly on at least a few spots.  It doesn’t matter if I use a dauber, fleece pad or paint brush.  (As you can see.) but I love the color of the vinegroon. 

do you think a higher quality leather would absorb the vinegroon more evenly? 

49B54196-467A-46DE-B413-DA44A923834C.jpeg

Edited by Viking
Not sure why the I can’t get highlight effect off the text …

I really like the layout and that style holster. did you design it or use a pattern?

1 hour ago, hashtagartz said:

I really like the layout and that style holster. did you design it or use a pattern?

I designed it. But I’ve used the same basic design for revolvers for a couple years. I basically stretch it out for bigger frames and shrink it for smaller. I used a design I had for the same type (k frame)  and modified my pattern with more room for the larger holes. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:44 AM, Viking said:

do you think a higher quality leather would absorb the vinegroon more evenly? 

Have you tried to completely immerse your leather in vinegroon?   It could also be the quality of leather you're working with or it may have brushed against some solution such as glue, or resist or something else.  (my thoughts as a complete amateur, but from what I've read it is possible)   But looks great!

You might also take up a trick I found out about a few years back.

Before you dye the project . . . give it a light (emphasis on light) coat of genuine neatsfoot oil (not compound).

I brush it on with a 1 inch bristle brush . . . getting it just wet enough to change color . . . like it was wetted with water.

I hang i up . . . and the next day it is back to about 95 % the color it was before the oil.

Then I dye.  

I was having a real time with saddle tan especially . . . have zero problems with it now.  Not sure what makes it work . . . it just does . . . and I'm happy.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 3/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, JayEhl said:

Have you tried to completely immerse your leather in vinegroon?   It could also be the quality of leather you're working with or it may have brushed against some solution such as glue, or resist or something else.  (my thoughts as a complete amateur, but from what I've read it is possible)   But looks great!

Yeah, that works.   (I’ve done that with and straps and such) It wont work for the multicolored effect I’m trying to achieve. 

On 3/18/2022 at 8:06 PM, Dwight said:

You might also take up a trick I found out about a few years back.

Before you dye the project . . . give it a light (emphasis on light) coat of genuine neatsfoot oil (not compound).

I brush it on with a 1 inch bristle brush . . . getting it just wet enough to change color . . . like it was wetted with water.

I hang i up . . . and the next day it is back to about 95 % the color it was before the oil.

Then I dye.  

I was having a real time with saddle tan especially . . . have zero problems with it now.  Not sure what makes it work . . . it just does . . . and I'm happy.

May God bless,

Dwight

I’ll try that. That’s exactly the type of experience based type of advice I was looking for.