Abelc

Using rabbit wool / skin with hair instead of woolskin for apply antique, etc

Anyone know if could be used rabbit skin with their hair instead of woolskin, to apply antique or dye (i think some use it to apply dye and resolene). I can get a 30 x 45 cm of rabbit skin with hair for about 6€ (6,5 $). I want it mostly to try with fiebing's antique. Last time for antique used a rag, i think, but i have read is not the best, for getting in depresed areas. Dye, I usually apply it with a small rag folded (from white cotton t-shirts) with cotton inside, or a small rag folded a few times and tight, or  or a sponge (that never tried yet)

I haven't found anything in the forum. Thanks.

piel-de-conejo-blanco.jpg

6 minutes ago, Abelc said:

Anyone know if could be used rabbit skin with their hair instead of woolskin, to apply antique or dye (i think some use it to apply dye and resolene). I can get a 30 x 45 cm of rabbit skin with hair for about 6€ (6,5 $). I want it mostly to try with fiebing's antique. Last time for antique used a rag, i think, but i have read is not the best, for getting in depresed areas. Dye, I usually apply it with a small rag folded (from white cotton t-shirts) with cotton inside, or a small rag folded a few times and tight, or  or a sponge (that never tried yet)

I haven't found anything in the forum. Thanks.

piel-de-conejo-blanco.jpg

for the antique and dyes i use cotton balls they work well and are cheap. I also use natural sponge for dyes it makes a mottled effect real well.

Why waste a very nice piece of hide?

I use cheap dish washing sponges to apply antique, and also dye. The sponges cost me 10 for 50p [£0.50 = 5p each] I even cut them into pieces, maybe four. I just throw them away after use. With the sponge I can work the antique into the depressed areas very easily

dyeing

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

for the antique and dyes i use cotton balls they work well and are cheap. I also use natural sponge for dyes it makes a mottled effect real well.

Thanks :) . I will try also the natural sponge. Not always i like a fully uniform dye. I have seen a Holster, dyed with a mix of fiebing Tan and Mahagony, but with imperfections and dark areas (like if was applied antique), and i liked it a lot. I have experimented with using a piece of wood, and lining it with a piece of cloth, dipping it in dye, discharging a lot of the dye and running it through the leather. I saw this in a video from The Leather Element (Weaver Leather Supply)

Edited by Abelc

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Why waste a very nice piece of hide?

I use cheap dish washing sponges to apply antique, and also dye. The sponges cost me 10 for 50p [£0.50 = 5p each] I even cut them into pieces, maybe four. I just throw them away after use. With the sponge I can work the antique into the depressed areas very easily

Thank you. I bough some sponges a few days ago, after reading that could be used, also of rags. Yeah, that hide would be better for a project, than wasting it. So now i have some alternatives, that  already have at home :)