Rance

Another problem with my Adler 30-1

I got the shuttle drive alignment problem fixed by shortening the drive rack and adding an adjustable splice.  The eccentric cam bolt did not have enough adjustment range on its own. I'll add pics of that to my previous post.    The machine now sews but needs further tweaking because it skips a stitch once in a while.    The problem, or perhaps it isn't one, is that with the hand wheel mounted on the front, not on the cam pulley shaft, I need to turn it counter clockwise for material to move through the machine in the normal way.   The machines I see on Youtube all turn clockwise.   Has anyone else encountered this?    

Thanks,

Rance

In all my years of working on machines I've never seen this happen on a shoe patcher of any brand.Sounds like someone might of taken the cam by the handwheel off & re-mounted 180degrees,that is why your having so much trouble timing it.So try knocking the pin out urn it half way around put the pin back in & then re-time it again & it should work.

Edited by CowboyBob

I´m pretty sure one or more cams on your machine are not correctly installed. The Adler 30 and Singer 29K patchers are very simple machines there is not much that can go wrong. I would check the position cams.

EDIT:

Bob was faster ;)

Check your other Adler 30-1 thread. I mentioned the cams there already. Everything on this machine is controlled by 3 cams, one controls the arm lever / needle bar, one controls the shuttle driver / timing and one the foot lift / feeding. So you can be sure the major problem on your machine is one ore more incorrectly installed cams.

Edited by Constabulary

Clockwise it must go. I had all my timings and relationships out of whack, probably 180 degrees or half of a cycle.  Thought I was stuck in reverse when I knew I had no reverse!  Hope you get it figured out.

Hey guys,

You were right about the drive pulley being out 180 degrees causing the machine to feed backwards.   I haven't had a chance to retime it yet but driving out the pin rotating the pulley 180 and replacing the pin fixed the feed issue.   Just wonder what other bedevilments this thing has yet to offer!   

Another question though:  The flat head screw that holds the shuttle drive in place is missing.   Its not metric, its not SAE (although 5-40 comes close), is it Singer screw thread or something else yet again?

Many thanks for your ongoing help and support!

Rance