Kolton45

Leather storage questions

Hey so I'm slowing starting to get my bacement leatherwork shop put together and I just built a 4x8 rolling workbench and was thinking about making shelves underneath for leather storage and enclosing it to keep light and the puppy away but am nervous about the leather getting ruined in the bacement it is a finished bacement and I'm probably just paranoid about wasting good leather I have 3 full sheets of pegboard that I would like to use sence I already have it but not sure if solid plywood would be better and to put some kind of a humidor set up inside or is that just over kill 

Screenshot_20220317-120532_Gallery.jpg

It depends a lot on how humid your local climate is. And is it a heated basement. Where I live, humidity is a myth, so I have no mold/mildew issues.

On the other side of the mountains is another story all together. I think mold is the Seattle city flower.

I live in the humid south (houston) but my shop is in the garage. I'm keeping bits of scrap leather and cuts from my bigger rolls near my bench as it'll be easier to work that way and keeping my bigger rolls inside.  I was worried about storing the larger rolls of veg and chrome tan in the garage.   For now, I think it's okay because it's not too terribly hot or humid but here in couple months it will be another story, especially the heat.  Should I continue with this course or do you think the leathers will be okay if kept it on the shelf in the garage?

I would ensure that you have good air circulation around and over your leather. And I would be very leery about storing it rolled. A closet or cupboard with a dehumidifier is another option. 

Authentic Made in the USA Golden Rod Dehumidifiers In 4 Sizes (safeandlockstore.com)

Hey JayEhl
How did you end up storing your leather?  I'm in DFW, in the garage too... I have no idea where I'm going store hides, I'm pretty sure the wife doesn't want it hanging in the house. lmao.  I might be able to put in under the bed between cardboard?