Lasse

Singer 7-33 & Adler 20-19 threads

Hi! 

I am looking for some really heavy duty threads to my Singer 7-33 and Adler 20-19. Anyone here that have tried and "max them out"? The thickest thread I have found online is 554 / Tex-600 at the thread exchange. The largest needle I can find is a #27 (250 metric). Is this the limit of what these machines can take?

I am also wondering if theres a place in Europe where I can by those needles and threads? Can I use any type of thread nylon, cotton, linen etc? I live in Sweden so shipping from the states always ruins the fun :) 

I really appreciate any help I can get! Many thanks in advance!

IMG_1771.JPG

Good looking machine. I am not sure of were to buy that would be local to you?

You can save some time and shipping just look for some heavy kite string, or nylon twine at the local store.  If its just a test for "size" to pass through the machine, they are going to be close to 415 or 554, maybe a little thicker.  You will have an issue with the needle size before the thread size, so whatever you can fit in the largest size needle you have (the 27).  They do go up to size 28 I believe ?  I think they use to make a size 30-31 in a 7X5, but they may be hard to find.  When trying this I would use the handwheel, there is a chance you engage the motor and it just just spins a nice nest that will be a pain to get out of the hook.  Yes this is as large as it gets for the Class 7.  The Singer 97-10 would be the largest needle machine similar to the class 7 in the way it works, but can sew up to an inch thick.  After that you need to look at needle and awl machines they use in shoe making and heavy horse tack. Sill the thread size doesn't change that much just the ability to sew thicker.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, Lasse said:

I am also wondering if theres a place in Europe where I can by those needles and threads

I buy all my needles from https://www.nadel24.de/

They also carry thread and sewing machine oil and what you might need. I have ordered from them four or five times and always been happy with them.

The Singer and Adler use 7x1, 7x3 needles or 794.  You might move to the needle system 1000 or 1001 needle system.  The make needles up to #300 if I remember correctly, maybe even #330. It would mean retiming the needle bar.  Thread above #556 may be harder to find.

glenn

On 3/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, Yetibelle said:

Good looking machine. I am not sure of were to buy that would be local to you?

You can save some time and shipping just look for some heavy kite string, or nylon twine at the local store.  If its just a test for "size" to pass through the machine, they are going to be close to 415 or 554, maybe a little thicker.  You will have an issue with the needle size before the thread size, so whatever you can fit in the largest size needle you have (the 27).  They do go up to size 28 I believe ?  I think they use to make a size 30-31 in a 7X5, but they may be hard to find.  When trying this I would use the handwheel, there is a chance you engage the motor and it just just spins a nice nest that will be a pain to get out of the hook.  Yes this is as large as it gets for the Class 7.  The Singer 97-10 would be the largest needle machine similar to the class 7 in the way it works, but can sew up to an inch thick.  After that you need to look at needle and awl machines they use in shoe making and heavy horse tack. Sill the thread size doesn't change that much just the ability to sew thicker.

Thanks!

The  heavy kite string or nylon twine sounds interesting! 

Yes I know the needle systems, I was wondering if there was anyone who had gone crazy with this machines and used bigger 

thanks!

Edited by Lasse

On 3/22/2022 at 6:51 PM, chrisash said:

That looks interesting! Thank you!

Edited by Lasse

On 3/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, Mulesaw said:

I buy all my needles from https://www.nadel24.de/

They also carry thread and sewing machine oil and what you might need. I have ordered from them four or five times and always been happy with them.

Looks great! I’ll check them out

Thanks! 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:49 PM, shoepatcher said:

The Singer and Adler use 7x1, 7x3 needles or 794.  You might move to the needle system 1000 or 1001 needle system.  The make needles up to #300 if I remember correctly, maybe even #330. It would mean retiming the needle bar.  Thread above #556 may be harder to find.

glenn

Yes I know the needle system. I was looking at the 1000-1001 system too, I will get some of those too! Yeah the thread seams to be harder to get, got some good advance in earlier post that I’ll check out!

Thank you for you help!