blksmith

Cowboy Outlaw

Just bought a cowboy outlaw.

I am begining to think me and sewing machines aren't compatible.

I have the length and tension pretty close to right but It keeps missing  stitch every 2 to 3 inches. Any ideas or help.

I am from Central WA. and am sewing 2- 3 layers of 8 ounce for knife sheaths.

Edited by Northmount
fixed title typo

Not sure how much you already know but it does get easier. Skipping stitches should be fairly easy to put right. Start with the hook. Is it meeting the scarf in the needle roughly in the middle? If not it needs timing. Is the hook as close to the needle as possible without touching it? Is there a loop of thread that the hook can go through? This would be my bet. The tension must be completely off the thread when the hook gets to it. If not there will be no loop. Reasons could be too much top tension or a badly adjusted check spring. Get that lot sorted before looking to the bobbin tension to "balance" the thread. Good luck.

Make sure you have enough presser foot pressure to hold down all of that dense leather so that it doesn’t rise with the needle on the upward stroke.  If the work even rises just a smidgen, the top thread loop that the hook needs can collapse and the hook won’t catch it.

CD in Oklahoma

Wow thank you guys. 

If i had known there was so much to this sewing machine stuff I would have just kept on hand stitching.

I just finished a 4 inch stitch that looks pretty good. having a little difference with stitch length. But can live with that.

Thanks again for your answers

TJ Smith

The first thing I would have looked at is the needle.  That rascal cannot be "off kilter" or it and the bobbin will not make that stitch.

And the fact that you were hitting  . . . then missing . . . would sound like it was close to being installed correctly . . . but just maybe off a tad.

Check your needle if you have any more trouble.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight I think the needle was the problem. I sewed 6 3-4 inches without any skipped stitches.

The needle was about 1/8 turn off the 9 0clock position.Seems like it would miss every so often.