BerkanaLeatherGoods

Geo Barnsley Lasting Pliers - Age estimate and alternate uses?

I recently picked up a pair of vintage lasting pliers from Geo Barnsley intending to do some shoemaking down the line.

As I collect and restore vintage tools as a part of the hobby, it takes a while to collect all the tools I need. 

While I assemble the basic tools needed for lasting, is there any alternate uses that I can put these to in the meanwhile?

I know that lasting pliers are intended to hold a material without tearing it, leverage it, stretch it, pull it taught, hold it in place and hammer a nail in to secure it to the last. 

I guess that they can be put to use when wetforming, and maybe while doing a bit of upholstery. Any thoughts or ideas here? 

And is it possible to estimate an age on these? The hammer reads:

“A. [Shoe]; George Barnsley Warranted. Steel Hammer” while the upper plier simple reads: “2 [size?]; B”. Please refer to the attached photo. 

Any input much appreciated. 

99559A3F-65B2-4051-B377-D70857B18831.jpeg

83CB5C41-FA07-421A-881C-D4BE07ABA9A1.jpeg

On 3/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, BerkanaLeatherGoods said:

Any input much appreciated. 

I have a pair of those. Theres a  vintage tool association that has attended many fairs etc.  I've picked up quite a few leather related tools from them over the years .  I think I paid no more than $20 Aust.  , that was some years ago . I guess they could be worth more by now . The word ' warranted' would indicate around the 100 year old mark . 

I have a few of G/B tools in my little collection 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

On 3/27/2022 at 5:12 AM, Handstitched said:

I think I paid no more than $20 Aust

Doesn’ sound way off. I got these for roughly $15 Aust. 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:12 AM, Handstitched said:

The word ' warranted' would indicate around the 100 year old mark . 

Thank you for the insight on that one. Is there any resources I can read up on in regards to their history? Or is it plain experience/knowledge picked up along the way?