PAMuzzle

Sewing machine sewing without thread

Expecting to get new Cowboy 4500 soon.  Is it possible to use this machine without thread to punch holes to hand stitch when desired?

I think it would take less time than using awl or a drill press with nail or needle.

Also,  can linen thread be used?  For making Period Correct Western Holsters

Edited by PAMuzzle

2 hours ago, PAMuzzle said:

Expecting to get new Cowboy 4500 soon.  Is it possible to use this machine without thread to punch holes to hand stitch when desired?

Yes! I've used mine a couple of times to punch holes for hand sewing with two needles when the customer is willing to pay extra. It can punch two to the inch maximum. The rest of the time I use the sewing machine to sew.

As Wizcrafts said . . . yes . . . it'll work.  I used both my Cowboy and my Tippmann Boss for that.

As far as the thread is concerned . . . I've never used it . . . but it should not be a problem . . . the size of the thread and the necessary needle are the factors that should determine that.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys.  I will be ordering the 4500 today.

I will be sewing western holsters and gun belts.  9 oz to 16 oz.
With hand stitching I was using 5 cord linen thread, similar to Barbours which shows as being .8 or .9

1.  What thread/needle combination would you recommend? 

2.  Would you recommend same size thread for top and bobbin?

3. I read somewhere that a special needle is needed to sew straight stitch instead of zig-zag.  Is that true?

Edited by PAMuzzle

Linen thread can be used only it is unwaxed. Closed eye machines are not meant to use waxed thread. It will gum up everything it come in contact with.

If you want to routinely sew with waxed thread, look for a Union Lockstitch machine, or a Campbell-Randall Lockstitch. They are needle and awl machines with barbed needles that don't clog up from the wax on the thread. But, they still need to be cleaned up when the wax dries.

There are only two thread waxes I have ever used in my machines: Super Ceroxylon from Puritan and Lax Wax from Campbell Randall. Again, they are meant for needle and awl machines.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:07 AM, PAMuzzle said:

Thanks guys.  I will be ordering the 4500 today.

With hand stitching I was using 5 cord linen thread, similar to Barbours which shows as being .8 or .9

1.  What thread/needle combination would you recommend? 

2.  Would you recommend same size thread for top and bobbin?

3. I read somewhere that a special needle is needed to sew straight stitch instead of zig-zag.  Is that true?

I think most of us use 277 thread, 24-26 needle, still looks heavy and strong but not as pronounced as size 346.  

If you want that "thicker" thread look use 346 thread, both top and bottom, needs a larger needle 794 LR or DH size 26-28

Bonded Polyester is UV rated for "full sun" like a umbrella.  Nylon works for most regular outdoor exposure products, with leather items you have to condition them regularly so both will work.  

Zig/zag stich that refers to the needle moving side to side as it moves forward, think embroidery .  These machines are not zig-zag machines.   Depending on the needle point it will make what looks like an "offset" stitch with the LR point.  The D or DH point needle makes a straighter looking stich.  

image.png.2f395f3f2ea7d2d14c3e93f58438c767.png

On 3/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, PAMuzzle said:

With hand stitching I was using 5 cord linen thread, similar to Barbours

Throw out everything you know about thread. Hand stitching vs machine stitching are two different Worlds. You probably use waxed linen thread that is up to 1mm diameter, sewn with two needles in a running saddle stitch. The CB4500 (which I have) doesn't use linen thread, unless it is dry. Then, it is too weak for the thickness being sewn. It tends to shred as you sew.

Lockstitch machines with a closed eye needle use bonded nylon, or bonded polyester thread. You can compare the bonded thread sizes to you linen thread sizes in this needle and thread chart. I use #277 bonded nylon to sew most holsters and sheathes, up to about 7/16th inch. Beyond that, I use #346 thread, top and bottom.

Yes I've done that with my cobra 4 a few times work's great . 

Hey guys thanks.  I was thinking of going up to the 346 but did not want to use smaller thread on bottom.  Prefer they are the same size.  Glad I can use 346 in both.

Got the machine yesterday and tried some samples.  I thought they looked pretty good... for an amateur:

holster2.jpeg.db549282e27dd6be241b46075773afc3.jpeg

holster1.jpeg.99677e001b07c09dd683155271366147.jpegholster3.jpeg.dc0b88659c3a107f2c69620504fdaf4f.jpeg

Edited by PAMuzzle