DaveP

Vinymo MBT thread for saddle stitching?

Hello all...for those that saddle stitch ...would you use Vinymo MBT thread? What's it like compared to Tiger thread? Which is all I have ever used. I mainly use 0.8mm on veg tan and don't want much thinner. I like all the colors it comes in. I know it's not waxed like tiger thread. I have a block of bees wax for that if needed. Does it flatten out like tiger thread?

Thanks again for your time !

I just tried Vinymo myself and like both depending on your taste. I found Vinymo MBT more "delicate' round sophisticated which will not match well with knife sheath etc. Tiger has a flat more robust look. It is a matter of personal taste. My wife likes Tiger thread better (Western farm Girl), I like  Vinymo better (Eastern Urban boy).  After hammering Vinymo will not be as flat as Tiger, it flattens out but reveal the individual strand while as you know Tiger is just flat. I like to use Vinymo #8 and #5 which is thinner than the 0.6 Tiger. By spec the #5 is equivalent to .6 but I have both and found that the Vinymo looks thinner. I have not used Vinymo #1 or #0 but I have the Vinymo guide and the Ritza .8 looks way thicker than #1 almost as thick as #0. Vinymo has a shinier color and Tiger has more natural earthy color. So it all depends on the type of leather you use, the type of look you want to achieve and your personal taste. Order a few small roll (DSL sell them) they are not expensive. Order the guide also since they have so many colors unlike Tiger which I made my own guide.

Thank you NDphung...I like your explanation. What type of projects do you like it for? Wallets, bags? I've made ONE wallet! Now other folks want more made. 

I  am still fairly new but like to like try out different products. I like to make passport Holder and wallet. The Vinymo will goes well with a colorful Italian Veg Tan leather. But if I am making something more subdue and traditional with Wickett and Craig leather, I would use Tiger.  If I will make bags anything above .8mm I will go with Tiger. it seems more robust. I once saw a strength chart for Vinymo but I forgot where. You need also test with the teeth spacing of the iron/chisel you use. 

As NDphung states, it comes down to personal taste whether you prefer the round Vinymo or the flat Tiger. Especially in the smaller sizes, I prefer the Vinymo.

In the attached sample, all the threads are Vinymo #5 except the blue which is Twist 0.45 from Rocky Mountain leather.

stitching sample.jpg

On 3/21/2022 at 9:40 PM, GatoGordo said:

As NDphung states, it comes down to personal taste whether you prefer the round Vinymo or the flat Tiger. Especially in the smaller sizes, I prefer the Vinymo.

In the attached sample, all the threads are Vinymo #5 except the blue which is Twist 0.45 from Rocky Mountain leather.

stitching sample.jpg

Hi, have you ever try WUTA thread? I saw it advertise  for 112$ for 23 colors. That looks like a wicked deal.

1 minute ago, NDphung said:

Hi, have you ever try WUTA thread? I saw it advertise  for 112$ for 23 colors. That looks like a wicked deal.

Now that I think about it WUTA thread seems almost like Rocky Mountain Twist.

I used to use strictly tiger in .8 and switched to Vinymo #5 probably 2 years ago. To me Ritza looks more robust and heavy duty, while Vinymo is more clean 

Armitage Leather did a 19 min on Vinymo MBT Thread.

I'm just getting into leather craft, and since I'm more interested in small items like wallets and follios, I went with  Vinymo #5 and John James Size 4 (004) needles.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, NDphung said:

Order a few small roll (DSL sell them) they are not expensive. Order the guide also since they have so many colors unlike Tiger which I made my own guide.

I 100% agree with this, The guide is a must have do the sheer number of color options (82).   

6 hours ago, NDphung said:

No. I saw your thread asking if anyone had any experience with it. I too was hoping for a reply.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, DaveP said:

Hello all...for those that saddle stitch ...would you use Vinymo MBT thread? What's it like compared to Tiger thread? Which is all I have ever used. I mainly use 0.8mm on veg tan and don't want much thinner. I like all the colors it comes in. I know it's not waxed like tiger thread. I have a block of bees wax for that if needed. Does it flatten out like tiger thread?

Thanks again for your time !

On 3/21/2022 at 8:23 PM, NDphung said:

I  am still fairly new but like to like try out different products. I like to make passport Holder and wallet. The Vinymo will goes well with a colorful Italian Veg Tan leather. But if I am making something more subdue and traditional with Wickett and Craig leather, I would use Tiger.  If I will make bags anything above .8mm I will go with Tiger. it seems more robust. I once saw a strength chart for Vinymo but I forgot where. You need also test with the teeth spacing of the iron/chisel you use. 

Here is the strength chart and color of Vinymo MBT .  https://nagai--yoriito-com.translate.goog/eng/pages/33/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

When we started to hand stitch we went through this question as well. We ordered everything brand of thread we could find (all the ones mentioned in this post) and then some. We tried every combo with multiple brands of irons as well. In the beginning, we landed on Crimson 3.85mm chisels and Vinymo #8 & then #5 thread. I love the look of 3.85mm but after hand stitching a good while we changed to 5mm Crimson chisels and Vinymo #1. I know there are folks that say you must wax the thread but we never have. I find it dulls the sheen and does not server much purpose with the Vinymo thread. We do use Ritza but only for internal panels where the thread will not be seen as it will pound flat much better the the round Vinymo. Think the bottom of internal wallet pockets. Vinymo is every bit as strong as Ritza and has a true round look. It is more elegant but can also look robust. We will be getting a new machine this year and we will be using Vinymo thread in that as well.

Yes, you can hand stitch with Vinymo thread and we recommend it. The attached pics is our Iris Womens wallet in W&C Chestnut. It is stitched with 5mm Crimson chisels with #1 thread.

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1561.jpeg

On 5/9/2022 at 7:30 PM, GritMercantile said:

When we started to hand stitch we went through this question as well. We ordered everything brand of thread we could find (all the ones mentioned in this post) and then some. We tried every combo with multiple brands of irons as well. In the beginning, we landed on Crimson 3.85mm chisels and Vinymo #8 & then #5 thread. I love the look of 3.85mm but after hand stitching a good while we changed to 5mm Crimson chisels and Vinymo #1. I know there are folks that say you must wax the thread but we never have. I find it dulls the sheen and does not server much purpose with the Vinymo thread. We do use Ritza but only for internal panels where the thread will not be seen as it will pound flat much better the the round Vinymo. Think the bottom of internal wallet pockets. Vinymo is every bit as strong as Ritza and has a true round look. It is more elegant but can also look robust. We will be getting a new machine this year and we will be using Vinymo thread in that as well.

Yes, you can hand stitch with Vinymo thread and we recommend it. The attached pics is our Iris Womens wallet in W&C Chestnut. It is stitched with 5mm Crimson chisels with #1 thread.

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1561.jpeg

Thanks for your reply ( along with everyone else's). Looks good

I want to throw in another option Meisi Xiange thread. It looks pretty good and waxed. It is very close to Vinymo. My personal likes and observation:  Colors on Vinymo more vibrant and shiny (if you wax it before stitching, it will dull the color a litte bit). The MEISI Xiange is closer to Vinymo than Ritza, not as shiny as Vinymo and less waxy than Ritza. The Xiange looks as good to me as the Vinymo. One thing I like is the cute bobbin they come in if you order small quantity that bobbin design is really nice and fits well in my tackle box. This has nothing to do with the end result.   

image.png.0283ee5092bdaa5998c25ba91a79092f.png

image.png.b576a96c8a9233d3dbe9a5ea506af5b8.png

The Vinymo green spool contains the same 100 m thread as the grey Meisi spool even if it is almost twice the size (Far Left is RML 40m Ritza and in the middle is DLS 60m spool).

It is almost like Toyota and Honda,  you will not go wrong with any of the three choices. There are differences but you just need to try them out and decide what pleases you most personally.