stelhrse

Bible covers

Hello. I have been asked to do a bible cover for a LARGE bible. I have never built a bible cover. They want a zippered cover so that will be new too. Any advice on making one of these? How much extra do you allow when you rough out the leather and what is ideal for a finished cover? How much extra do I need to allow for adding a zipper? How do you figure out the size of the rough out for the bible? I realize these are a bunch of questions. Any help would be appreciated. If there is a good instruction book to do this, please let me know. Thanks.

Jon

The best source comes from the master artisan, Al Stohlman.  Get Volume 2 below.  Can order from Springfield Leather or on Amazon.  It shows you exactly how to do it.

Stohlman "The Art of Making Leather Cases", all 3 volumes - Old/Sold -  Leatherworker.net

I have all three so can confirm.   They were inexpensive (to me) as a immensely useful resource so I bought these as it was also just joyful to thumb through with some nostalgia and the drawings were just fun to look at. 

Great. Thank you for your help. Book has been ordered. Have a great day and God Bless.

13 hours ago, stelhrse said:

Great. Thank you for your help. Book has been ordered. Have a great day and God Bless.

Make sure to share your cover when finished.  Would be great to see it.

Just a quick note . . . recalling that I have never made one . . . 

BUT . . . a dear friend . . . and a wonderful lady did make one for me when I was her pastor.

It had the edges laced . . . a beautiful image and inscription on the front.

BUT . . . somewhere in all the making, fitting, dying, finishing, etc . . . it turned out to apparently shrink almost to where it couldn't be seen . . . but it shrunk anyway.

In doing so . . . it broke the spine of my Bible . . . 

SO . . .  be careful and follow the directions . . . it may keep you from doing the same to someone else.

She most certainly meant well . . . and tried her very best . . . she just didn't know.

May God bless,

Dwight