GavinO

New Duffle

Hi all, I posted the last duffle I made last summer. Since then I have finished french school, got a new logo and I finally managed to design and source the straps I wanted with a supplier. Making this shape in 4 other colours to launch on etsy/my own website as soon as I can. 

Any critiques or feedback welcome.  

GD.Red.jpeg

Nice and best of luck with that it really looks professional I could see that logo and name becoming known world wide it just looks like that to me good luck .

Wow!  What a beautiful job!  I'm sure you will be very successful and I wish you the best of luck!

I got my sewing machine fixed, and managed to get through the set of colours I wanted to finish 

Purple 

purple.interior.jpeg

purple.jpeg

blue 

blue.jpeg

tan.interior.jpeg

and this is the internal of the red I finished last week 

red.interior.jpeg

WOW!!!

Most excellent work.  I can see you having a great business opportunity.

They are excellent indeed, I'll be honest I'm not too keen on some of the lining choices but that might just be me, it's always good that you have a colour variety for different people.

Also the blue one having that seam parallel to the strap, I'd avoid that if possible, but other than that I really like them.  Straps are great too!

Out of curiosity (if you want to share) what price are you thinking?  And how long does it take you to make one?

Cheers

Spyro

7 hours ago, Spyros said:

They are excellent indeed, I'll be honest I'm not too keen on some of the lining choices but that might just be me, it's always good that you have a colour variety for different people.

Also the blue one having that seam parallel to the strap, I'd avoid that if possible, but other than that I really like them.  Straps are great too!

Out of curiosity (if you want to share) what price are you thinking?  And how long does it take you to make one?

Cheers

Spyro

Hallo, thanks for the feedback. All the linings and leathers are excess materials sourced from furniture production. So the selection might look a little random but I have tried to pair them to be interesting. I have a background in men's formalwear and found there that men often like some crazy linings while keeping the outher of the garment more plain/simple. 

Re: the blue- this was actually a sofa in its previous life, that's where the seam comes from so I just tried to line it up to look clean - there is a matching one on the other side of the bag. Most of my leathers are excess from production but I do have a fair amount that have already been used, if I like the leather/colour I will use it. Some people specifically like having the old details as it tells more of a story, others prefer a clean make that looks like new, so I am going to try a bit of both and see how they do in the market. 

When I made these as one-offs it took me about 12 hours. I have another two to finish in this run (another purple and another red) then I am going to see if I have really managed to save time through making several at once or not (I certainly hope so, and I quite enjoyed batching little parts of the production). Pricing wise I am landing on about $400 canadian, but I still have photography/packaging and delivery logistics to work out properly so that may change. 

Thanks re: the straps, I sourced them from China and they are woven from 98% recycled post consumer polyester, I designed the puppytooth print. The whole process was a learning curve and took what felt like forever, but I am super happy with them now (I have another three colours in that design to use for other projects) 

Wow beautiful work my friend

awesome product friend i wish you all the luck in the world!!

3 hours ago, GavinO said:

Hallo, thanks for the feedback. All the linings and leathers are excess materials sourced from furniture production. So the selection might look a little random but I have tried to pair them to be interesting. I have a background in men's formalwear and found there that men often like some crazy linings while keeping the outher of the garment more plain/simple. 

Re: the blue- this was actually a sofa in its previous life, that's where the seam comes from so I just tried to line it up to look clean - there is a matching one on the other side of the bag. Most of my leathers are excess from production but I do have a fair amount that have already been used, if I like the leather/colour I will use it. Some people specifically like having the old details as it tells more of a story, others prefer a clean make that looks like new, so I am going to try a bit of both and see how they do in the market. 

When I made these as one-offs it took me about 12 hours. I have another two to finish in this run (another purple and another red) then I am going to see if I have really managed to save time through making several at once or not (I certainly hope so, and I quite enjoyed batching little parts of the production). Pricing wise I am landing on about $400 canadian, but I still have photography/packaging and delivery logistics to work out properly so that may change. 

Thanks re: the straps, I sourced them from China and they are woven from 98% recycled post consumer polyester, I designed the puppytooth print. The whole process was a learning curve and took what felt like forever, but I am super happy with them now (I have another three colours in that design to use for other projects) 

Really gorgeous work!  I too wish you great success and I'm sure you will have it.  But I'm curious about why you said the pricing would be about $400 Canadian, when the person who asked about pricing is in Australia, and most members here are in the US.  And you appear to be in the UK.  I, on the other hand, appreciate the price in Canadian dollars as I'm in Montreal.  :)  How much would it be in pesos?  :)

Yes I'm kidding around, but your work is really great.

Hey that is some beautiful top notch work.  I think your leaving money on the table for 400 Canadian but that's just me.  

You said you sourced your leather from furniture upholstery?  I imagine their scraps would be a good source for lining for other smaller project?   (The hamster in my brain is turning the toy wheel).   There are several business of this kind not far from me... may be worth checking into!

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Really gorgeous work!  I too wish you great success and I'm sure you will have it.  But I'm curious about why you said the pricing would be about $400 Canadian, when the person who asked about pricing is in Australia, and most members here are in the US.  And you appear to be in the UK.  I, on the other hand, appreciate the price in Canadian dollars as I'm in Montreal.  :)  How much would it be in pesos?  :)

Yes I'm kidding around, but your work is really great.

Ah yes, I need to update my profile. I was in the UK but I am actually in Montréal now, moved here in Feb 2020, got a month of normal before the world changed! 

Edited by GavinO

3 hours ago, JayEhl said:

Hey that is some beautiful top notch work.  I think your leaving money on the table for 400 Canadian but that's just me.  

You said you sourced your leather from furniture upholstery?  I imagine their scraps would be a good source for lining for other smaller project?   (The hamster in my brain is turning the toy wheel).   There are several business of this kind not far from me... may be worth checking into!

Thank you! Yeah I source most of my leather from funriture upholstery. It tends to be a bit on the floppy side so it only lends itself to certain more casual styles. For smarter styles I need to back it with something or quilt or manipulate it somehow but I can only really do it to a point. I would love to look into the businesses you mentioned for research, if you don't mind naming names! 

11 hours ago, GavinO said:

Ah yes, I need to update my profile. I was in the UK but I am actually in Montréal now, moved here in Feb 2020, got a month of normal before the world changed! 

Cool!  I'm in Montreal also.  Speaking of the world changing, prior to the first forced business closures due to Covid, I couldn't even sew a button on my shirt.  Now I have several sewing machines and have moved through various fabrics to Cordura and waxed canvas to Sunbrella and now to leather.  For me, that's the only good thing that came out of Covid... finding a new hobby that is interesting and keeps me sane.  (Or as sane as possible.)

23 hours ago, GavinO said:

Yeah now that you mention it I might be one of those men, even though I don't really wear suits anymore.  But when I was at my local fabric store looking for bag linings, they had countless rolls, and I found that the only ones that looked durable enough and interesting enough were actually meant for suit linings.  And I did find myself gravitating to some unusual colours and patterns :)

5 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Cool!  I'm in Montreal also.  Speaking of the world changing, prior to the first forced business closures due to Covid, I couldn't even sew a button on my shirt.  Now I have several sewing machines and have moved through various fabrics to Cordura and waxed canvas to Sunbrella and now to leather.  For me, that's the only good thing that came out of Covid... finding a new hobby that is interesting and keeps me sane.  (Or as sane as possible.)

That's great you got into the craft so deeply. I studied fashion design at university and have a background in buying, but the last few years with the bags and leatherwork is the first time I have gotten really serious about mkaing things myself. I would love to know what your local sources and tips are! 

These really are gorgeous, and I love that you've already developed your "brand" strap pattern and logo design.  Drooling over the lining fabrics, too...

Those are freakin awesome, love the design cues.  Well made also!

YinTx