Sign in to follow this  
GavinO

Adler 69-373 timing issues

Hi all, 

I have had my Adler for about 4 years with absolutely no problems. However, I think I pushed it past its limit of thickness it can sew a couple of weeks ago and it threw the timing off. The repair main fixed it but it happened twice thereafter and he has now given up. I made the layers I was sewing much slimmer and managed a good few days of sewing but it just went again. This time though, it was during an operation it absolutely could do before the problems started- reasonably thick layers and zipper, perhaps the needle hit the metal of the zip and that threw it out. 

I have another repair guy coming tomorrow, I am worried the damage I have done has now made the machine more delicate than it was. I will talk to the repair guy about it but I wondered if anyone had any experiene with this, or tips. It is getting expensive to have repeat repair man visits, so is there a way for me to get a more permanent fix? Or is it a relatively easy thing for me to fix if it happens again so I can just manage it myself as and when it happens? 

I am fairly uncomfortable getting into the mechanics of my machines because I don't feel like I know enough, but if it is a matter of a slight re-arranngement and tightening then maybe it is time for me to learn. 

Timing a sewing machine is no magic.

i would suggest you read about it on internet and / or watch videos about it (no matter what kind of sewing machine, just to understand whats going on)

than dowload a service manual for your machine and follow (all)  the steps in it

first time it can take some time to figure out where the screws are located

but after a few times you even do not need an manual to time an unknown machine

if you cannot find your service manual on internet you can sent me a dm

kind regards, michiel

12 hours ago, Michiel said:

Timing a sewing machine is no magic.

i would suggest you read about it on internet and / or watch videos about it (no matter what kind of sewing machine, just to understand whats going on)

than dowload a service manual for your machine and follow (all)  the steps in it

first time it can take some time to figure out where the screws are located

but after a few times you even do not need an manual to time an unknown machine

if you cannot find your service manual on internet you can sent me a dm

kind regards, michiel

Thank you Michiel, your advice is well appreciated. I was kind of getting to this conclusion but opening up machines just makes me nervous. It is fixed for now and the repairman was very re-assuring so hopefully it is sorted for a while 

1 hour ago, GavinO said:

but opening up machines just makes me nervous.

I can imagine

when i started I bought an old (not very expensive) sewing machine to see if i could fix it before trying it on more expensive machines

Hello Gavino 

Their is a Duerkopp Adler 69-373 Service Instructions Manual

Direct link: 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/461563/Duerkopp-Adler-Duerkopp-Adler-69-373-Service-Instructions-Manual.html

Page 19  hook setting (timing) 

And here is a very well made video as usuall from Uwe about a Adler flat bed sewing machine(horizontal hook) . I know yours is a cylinder bed (vertical hook) but Just to learn the principles of timing a hook to needle 

Also this man Mtrc crane (YouTube name). He does maintenance on a Consew 206 flat bed that as a vertical hook.

Just look at the first 20 seconds and jump to 45:24 for the timing needle to the hook. 

Hope it Will give you self-confidence for fixing your machine in futur needs. 

Wrong copy 

This one  :

20 hours ago, Michiel said:

I can imagine

when i started I bought an old (not very expensive) sewing machine to see if i could fix it before trying it on more expensive machines

Good idea! I have moved to Canada from Europe, my other machine is a domestic Bernina 1130 from the 80s (I use for linings/other projects or very light leather work)- it is hard to get people who are willing to repair it when needed. Would be good to be a bit more self sufficient 

Macremb- thanks so much for this info, super detailed and useful! 

Edited by GavinO