immiketoo

Croc overlay holster and mag pouch.

Here’s something new for me.  Exotic overlay.  I’m not sure how I feel about it.  What do you think?

6700A84E-9D5A-49E1-BAFD-A2F1D9B00857.jpeg

3 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Here’s something new for me.  Exotic overlay.  I’m not sure how I feel about it.  What do you think?

that croc makes em rock!!!  they are awesome.

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that croc makes em rock!!!  they are awesome.

Lol!  Thanks!

Very nice!

Those are absolutely amazing. I would be so proud to have made something that cool. Great job. 

Good lookin' rig.  Mighty nice.

NOW THAT'S A NICE JOB MY FRIEND!

That overlay doesn't suck!

On 3/25/2022 at 9:21 AM, immiketoo said:

I’m not sure how I feel about it.

What's not to feel about it? It looks stunning!  Great texture contrast and would make an interesting piece for conversations.   Definitely needs to go in the next leather crafter magazine! 

I think I kinda understand why you're not all the way pleased. I think it is the edges.  

I find with some exotics they need to be inlaid to get the clean polished edges. 

You could try one with the croc inlaid on the reinforcement piece.  

Looks great though.  I'd proudly carry it.

12 hours ago, bland said:

I think I kinda understand why you're not all the way pleased. I think it is the edges.  

I find with some exotics they need to be inlaid to get the clean polished edges. 

You could try one with the croc inlaid on the reinforcement piece.  

Looks great though.  I'd proudly carry it.

You may be right.  I hadn’t thought of that aspect.  The croc was too thin to edge properly and for the price I agreed on, inlay was not possible, but I’ve just thought of an idea for next time.  I could turn the edges by skiving super thin and it would look a lot better.  Thanks for the comment!

On 4/7/2022 at 4:30 AM, akguy59 said:

Those are absolutely amazing. I would be so proud to have made something that cool. Great job. 

Thank you!  You can do it!

19 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Good lookin' rig.  Mighty nice.

Thanks, Bob!

14 hours ago, Samalan said:

NOW THAT'S A NICE JOB MY FRIEND!

I thank you sir!

14 hours ago, JayEhl said:

What's not to feel about it? It looks stunning!  Great texture contrast and would make an interesting piece for conversations.   Definitely needs to go in the next leather crafter magazine! 

Thank you!  I don’t know why exactly, except for what Bland said above, over all I’m pleased with them.  I probably won’t be writing articles for a while, but if I can perfect it, perhaps I’ll submit it to them :)

Your workmanship is great as usual, but to me, it is the wrong way around.  I much prefer to see the "accent" panels recessed, surrounded by smooth leather.  I'm sure it is just a matter of taste.  The exposed edges of the croc just don't look right to my eye.  

I tend to agree with most of the comments; the workmanship is impeccable as we are accustomed to seeing from you Mike and that the overlay should either be turned edged or inlayed because the edges are the only thing that are even remotely funky. It still looks wonderful and I'd carry that with pride everywhere but I could see with those edges being thin and exposed (especially on the magazine holster) that after getting in and out of chairs, cars, and rubbing on a jacket, etc., that they may roll a bit and become shabby. If it was a trophy case rig, I think there'd be zero issue but if it will be worn/used with any frequency I could see those edges showing some less than "character of the piece" wear over time, not like a burnish kind of wear. The set is a win, no doubt. I really like that mottling in the dye.

I think it may even be a non-issue if the croc was thicker. It almost needs to be chunkier to be complete?

6 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Your workmanship is great as usual, but to me, it is the wrong way around.  I much prefer to see the "accent" panels recessed, surrounded by smooth leather.  I'm sure it is just a matter of taste.  The exposed edges of the croc just don't look right to my eye.  

I’m not sure how to recess those and be able to sell it to anyone :). The time that would take seem extraordinarily high.  Definitely something to think about.

I wouldn’t want to just cut the veg tan short and have the croc there so it would require a plug, then a double stitch line similar to a French seam to look right.  Hmmmmm

4 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I tend to agree with most of the comments; the workmanship is impeccable as we are accustomed to seeing from you Mike and that the overlay should either be turned edged or inlayed because the edges are the only thing that are even remotely funky. It still looks wonderful and I'd carry that with pride everywhere but I could see with those edges being thin and exposed (especially on the magazine holster) that after getting in and out of chairs, cars, and rubbing on a jacket, etc., that they may roll a bit and become shabby. If it was a trophy case rig, I think there'd be zero issue but if it will be worn/used with any frequency I could see those edges showing some less than "character of the piece" wear over time, not like a burnish kind of wear. The set is a win, no doubt. I really like that mottling in the dye.

I think it may even be a non-issue if the croc was thicker. It almost needs to be chunkier to be complete?

Thanks guys!  I don’t disagree with you at all.  You’ve all given me something to think about for future builds like this.  The mottled look is just dye on a piece of sheep’s wool randomly touched.  Simple and effective!

20 hours ago, immiketoo said:

I could turn the edges by skiving super thin and it would look a lot better.  Thanks for the comment!

Quite difficult with croc and time consuming. If I were not recessing it I nearly always attach the croc skin to something that keeps it from going everywhere it wants. IN the case above I would put in a firm veg backing about 1mm thick and skive the croc edges to about .6 to.8mm if needed. Any less and you stand the risk of the knife knife cutting through the soft area between the scales/tiles. when combined, any thickness less than 2mm is easy to edge and gives a good looking finish. . After that I second cut them both to size then colour the edge before attaching. If the croc is veg tanned (pretty rare) you may be able to burnish if you prefer.

9 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Quite difficult with croc and time consuming. If I were not recessing it I nearly always attach the croc skin to something that keeps it from going everywhere it wants. IN the case above I would put in a firm veg backing about 1mm thick and skive the croc edges to about .6 to.8mm if needed. Any less and you stand the risk of the knife knife cutting through the soft area between the scales/tiles. when combined, any thickness less than 2mm is easy to edge and gives a good looking finish. . After that I second cut them both to size then colour the edge before attaching. If the croc is veg tanned (pretty rare) you may be able to burnish if you prefer.

:16:then maybe stitch closer to the edge so no problems with it rolling up.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:21 AM, immiketoo said:

I think  the bases were loaded, you hit it out of the park and the runner just rounded third

grand slam my friend, very nice indeed. nice job on color contrast and fading

Edited by Frodo

15 hours ago, Frodo said:

I think  the bases were loaded, you hit it out of the park and the runner just rounded third

grand slam my friend, very nice indeed. nice job on color contrast and fading

Thank you!