DanaStanley

Line 20 & 24 snap stem length?

Wondering if line 20 and 24 snaps come with different size stems for thicker material? I made a couple magazine pouches with 8-9 oz Veg tan and had to skive around the hole to get a good set on the naps! I had some snaps from Walmart and some from Amazon, and the stem lengths were different! is there a company that offers them in a different lengths? Also do you hand set or use a press?

For years I had the best little hand press . . . bought at Hobby Lobby . . . and it finally broke.

Have purchased 3 since then . . . they were all junk.

Just whack em with the mallet and go on . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Greetings, fellow Masshole! B)

Assuming you're talking about "industrial"-type ring spring snaps:  Post width should always be the same.  Extra long post lengths are available for #24.  Scovill DOT makes an extra short #20 post, but not extra long.

You need better snaps!  I have Fasnap, DOT, and Osborne on hand —I'll mail some samples if you provide your address via message.  Not really familiar with other types of snaps, but working on it.

I set snaps with a press, either Fasnap PM5 or Osborne (taking a break from doing it right now, in fact).

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Looks like they stock Scovill's DOT line ("Baby" 20L and "Durable" 24L).  Not sure about the magnetic snaps, though...

Sailrite offers a 5/16 ferrule, which is longer than the standard.  I use them for attaching a stiffener to the thumbreak.  Until then, it was a lot of cursing and wasted caps!

https://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Button-Silver-5-16-Barrel-Nickel-Key-A

15 minutes ago, Brooks125 said:

Sailrite offers a 5/16 ferrule, which is longer than the standard.

Looks like they also stock Scovill's DOT line ("Baby" 20L and "Durable" 24L).