MiaOhMia

Vernis Edge Paint on Dog Collars?

I have a question regarding the durability of heated edge paint on bridle leather. I'm making a bunch of dog collars out of mostly Wickett & Craig & Chahin bridle, some are made of Chahin Holster Strap Leather. I burnished most of them, but I'm not happy with the look of the burnished edges on some colours (i.e. Chestnut). I dyed the edges and its not the technique I'm not happy with, they are round and smooth and shiny. Its a personal preference. I have been experimenting with Vernis Edge paint using a cheaper version of the Regad Filiteuse on other projects, like bags and wallets. I really like the look of it. But I am wondering if it will hold up to the abuse a dog collar has to go through. The collars are going to be the first items I'm actually starting a business with and are going to be for sale in 2 stores. So obviously I want to stand behind my products and not get complaints about the edge paint peeling off... Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks

I personally don't use edge paint at all, so I have no experience with its durability. But I have extensive experience with dogs. It will depend entirely on the dog. A house poodle, I don't think there would be a problem. But hunting dogs, my sled dogs, any active, outdoor dog is going to be hard on collars. But I also think most owners are aware of that. Even my dachshund goes through a collar every 1 1/2-2 years. 

I have the best results burnishing bridle leather using canvas and saddle soap.  I made a canvas sleeve for the sanding drum on my burnisher.  For tack, I dye the edges with Fiebings Pro Dye or Fenice Colorfast dye.  The Colorfast dye has "waxes and binders" that produce a reasonably shiny edge as seen in this dog collar. 

collar2.jpg

@tsunkasapa: My work will be in downtown Toronto, so most of those dogs are rather posh pooches..  

that looks very nice, TomE. I have heard of Fenice Edge Paint, but not of their Colorfast dye. I will give that a try as well. Thanks

TomEwhere do you buy the Fenice dye? Having a hard time finding it online..

12 minutes ago, MiaOhMia said:

Campbell Randall sells Colorfast dye. Springfield Leather sells Fenice Diamond Water Stain (?) that looks like a similar product. They have a Youtube video about it. 

5 hours ago, MiaOhMia said:

I get mine from Ivan in Taiwan.  The have free DHL for Australia and that works better for me than ordering from the town next to mine.