Sign in to follow this  
chuck123wapati

western style holster

A customer wanted a western style holster for his 22 six shooter that had a cant to it and rode higher than a regular drop type holster so here is my try at it not much room on this little thing for a belt loop especially with a cant . He also wanted his old holster modified to fit it because he has two. It was for a saa and was just to large everywhere so i took an inch off the end and about 3/8 along the original stitch edge, shortened the belt loop an inch so it rides higher and re finished the edges and gave it some saddle soap lol.

westerns1.JPG

western2.JPG

What’s the finish on the new holster Chuck? 

1 minute ago, 327fed said:

What’s the finish on the new holster Chuck? 

i haven't applied the finish yet, it will be a couple coats of fiebings golden mink oil and a good buffing. It is a water proofing for outdoor gear. 

Chuck,

I always like your holsters, no nonsense!

Jim

Nice looking holster, nice, simple design. I make and sell a fair number of similar design. Folks seem to like keeping things simple.

I think you did a great job on both of them.  Like the colors.  

Is the leather pre dyed or is that just NFO to darken it? 

8 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Chuck,

I always like your holsters, no nonsense!

Jim

7 hours ago, Charley1 said:

Nice looking holster, nice, simple design. I make and sell a fair number of similar design. Folks seem to like keeping things simple.

7 hours ago, 327fed said:

Is the leather pre dyed or is that just NFO to darken it? 

thank you guys yea i sell quite a few plain holsters and knife sheathes a lot of guys want the function and fit of hand made but no bling lol. 

327fed I air brushed the dye after it was sewn up and formed , its canyon tan i wont use any nfo on this The mink oil product i use will darken it up some, i Apply a couple of hearty coats with the aid of a blow dryer.

Here is a picture after the finish coat It will even out gradually aver a couple days and lighten back up a bit. Also tried to get a photo of the  tapered welt.

western3.JPG

western4.JPG

Very nice Chuck. 

8 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice Chuck. 

thank you.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:40 AM, chuck123wapati said:

i sell quite a few plain holsters and knife sheathes a lot of guys want the function and fit of hand made but no bling lol. 

"Plain" is a lot harder because you can't hide your mistakes with bling...  Really nice work!

Do you use standard release, or soft "EZ" release snap sockets for holsters?  The lighting makes it look like.. brass?  The old one is nickel?

1 hour ago, ButtonLady said:

"Plain" is a lot harder because you can't hide your mistakes with bling...  Really nice work!

Do you use standard release, or soft "EZ" release snap sockets for holsters?  The lighting makes it look like.. brass?  The old one is nickel?

thank you I use standard from weaver.  they come in both brass and silver, i usually use brass but i had to match the originals on  the rebuild.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:43 AM, chuck123wapati said:

they come in both brass and silver, i usually use brass but i had to match the originals on  the rebuild.

The brass looks so nice against those gorgeous warm tones, especially since there's no bling to distract your eye —it only compliments the excellent workmanship.

2 minutes ago, ButtonLady said:

The brass looks so nice against those gorgeous warm tones, especially since there's no bling to distract your eye —it only compliments the excellent workmanship.

thank you i appreciate your nice comments. Brass is one of my favorite colors lol. you would be surprised i sell far more plain holsters than tooled i guess people around here are just good old plain folks. Or my tooling sucks. lol

Almost all my sales are for concealed carry holsters. All are plain, smooth leather.  Nobody is supposed to see them anyway.  Why pay more for tooling that nobody will see? My customers pretty much agree.

Good looking holster Chuck. 

2 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Good looking holster Chuck. 

thank you ! I like that strap setup on yours very cool.

Nice work Chuck your a very talented Man.

58 minutes ago, Samalan said:

Nice work Chuck your a very talented Man.

Thank you i appreciate that.

Looking good. The 'remodel' doesn't LOOK 'remodeled', the mark of a good remodeler!

On 3/31/2022 at 10:48 AM, chuck123wapati said:

thank you ! I like that strap setup on yours very cool.

Thanks again. 

On 3/31/2022 at 8:10 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Looking good. The 'remodel' doesn't LOOK 'remodeled', the mark of a good remodeler!

lol thanks!!