JonWatts

Ferdco Pro 2000

I guess its time to find a new home for my Pro 2000. I retired from saddle making a couple of years ago due to arthritis progression and have finally decided to sell everything. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the same machine...provided you could still get one. It has performed nearly flawless over my 25 year career. I have never had to have it timed or serviced for anything. It sat in the same place, in my house in a dust free, temperature constant environment for all those years. I've taken good care it, oiled it every time I sat down to sew, and I believe it has many many years left in it. This particular one does not have feed dogs. I'm not sure if the later machines did, but I surely never needed them. It has sewn over 300 saddles, stirrups, chaps, and all the accessories. As you can see from the pictures the stitching is beautiful. The only problem I ever had was with the shuttle hook not picking up nylon or cheap bonded thread . The good quality Dabond bonded poly thread sews like a dream. I don't even know where to get it anymore. The black and brown spools pictured are Dabond but the natural colored thread is from Campbell Bosworth. I think? It was poly bonded but not a very good quality. Anyway, if interested contact me through the forum and we'll talk. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and would be willing to deliver within a 200 mile radius of Des Moines. I would be willing to crate it and ship it on your dime but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Asking $3,500. Let's talk, I want to get it sold. Reasonable offers considered. If you want to see it sew we could arrange some Facetime time. Thanks for looking.

Jon Watsabaugh

ferdco1.JPG

ferdco2.JPG

ferdco3.JPG

ferdco4.JPG

ferdco7.JPG

sad1.jpg

sad2.JPG

You can get a brand new one from Hoffman Brothers for around what you're asking.

I'm not disputing your word, but I could find no specifics on their website regarding any machine comparable to a Pro 2000, or any pricing. If there  is a machine in the same class for the same money as mine I will gladly adjust the price. These machines were definitely pricey when new, and the used price I set was based on what I paid new. I'm not going to hold out for an overinflated price, if that's the case. I just need to move this to a new home, it's only sitting idle now. Make me an offer. 

Fantastic looking work there Jon. :notworthy: I hope that you enjoy your retirement.

12 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Fantastic looking work there Jon. :notworthy: I hope that you enjoy your retirement.

I second that.  Your carvings were fun to look at.  I hope you're able to still do some carving and tooling but if anything I wish you a happy and healthy retirement. 

Buuuuut.... If you have some pictures it would be really cool if you could post them on the show off part of the forum.  

:16:

I googled you Jon because I thought your name sounded familiar.  You have done some impressive work.  And, you also made saddle trees?  Being the same age as you, I wish you the best, and you have taken excellent care of that machine.  I'd make you an offer on the machine, but California is a ways from Iowa.

Ron

On 3/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, JonWatts said:

I'm not disputing your word, but I could find no specifics on their website regarding any machine comparable to a Pro 2000, or any pricing. If there  is a machine in the same class for the same money as mine I will gladly adjust the price. These machines were definitely pricey when new, and the used price I set was based on what I paid new. I'm not going to hold out for an overinflated price, if that's the case. I just need to move this to a new home, it's only sitting idle now. Make me an offer. 

About two weeks ago I was talking with Hoffman over the phone, they told me they bought Ferdco about 5 years ago (If I remember correctly) but they haven't advertised it much.

I ordered a new one, but wanted to make sure anybody buying used offers a fair price so they wouldn't feel jipped if they later learned the cost of a new one.

Comparably a brand new CB4500 (the same machine with a feed dog and all the accessories) is $3400 + Freight

Beautiful work by the way.

Sorry fellas I haven't had time to respond to all your nice comments. I'll get caught up here on the home front in a couple of days then we'll sit down and visit. Deek, how about $2,100? Based on the current new prices, does that sound more in-line for a good used one? 

Jon 

I live a few miles south of you in Missouri and was wondering if you are selling other items as I already have this same sewing machine and mine has done me well also.

My Pro 2000 is actually a Juki.  Mine still has the Juki badges.  I believe the older ones of this age were all based on Japanese machines.  I would never trade mine for any of the new China machines.  I also have a lighter duty Cowboy and even though I haven't had any problems with it...... I can just tell a difference.  When you are putting money and hours into leather you want a quality stitch and a smooth running machine.  I'd much rather have this older machine that someone has time tested and proven with amazing work to back it up than a newer one straight off the boat that someone's just ran a few strips through before they shipped it on to you.  

Is the Ferdco Pro 2000 still available? I'm interested in it if is still available.

Marcus

Yes Marcus, it is still available.

This machine has been sold to Marcus. It was such a pleasure to meet your Mom and Dad Marcus! Thanks for looking everyone. As soon as I get everything sorted out, I will have several saddle trees for sale over in the appropriate section.