DanaStanley

Singer class 66

I have 5 vintage Singer machines, of which I intend to refurbish and sell. 2 are class 66, and today I got one up and running. I tried it on some chrome leather, and it worked great. I hope to use 69 or 92 thread on it, but I have a lighter upholstery thread for now (could be 69 not marked clearly)! I want to use it for lighter wallets, and wallet inner sleeves!  I think the overall tension is a little tight, so I need to tinker still, but am encouraged at how well it works!

The other class 66 needs rewiring but everything is moving freely! I was on a mission for about a month collecting up machines to repair over the winter, then got covid, and couldn't do much. One other a Class 115 is working fine but has no cabinet! I made a log for each one did an evaluation and got whatever parts I needed, now I just need to do some light refurbishing. It's just busy work so It may have to wait as I get busy spring through fall!

From what I have read and seen on YouTube a class 66 is great for light leather projects. Does anyone here use one for wallets etc? Anyone in central Mass area interested in an old singer?

IMG_1996.JPG

Edited by DanaStanley

Seems like I have the tension right now. 2-3 oz veg! what do you all think? I'm not the sewing expert that I want to be!

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

Edited by DanaStanley

I really love my old singer 66, it was a treadle machine that i rescued from a shed/garage. I went through and oiled and everything worked pretty well, then decided i didn't want to treadle sew...lol, converted to a servo and just recently added a smaller speed reducer. I hated to a little, but this thing has such a beautiful stitch! 

Singer 66 sewing with speed reducer

Singer 66 picture - ~8-10oz of leather test stitch. 18/110 schmetz leather needle & 92 thread top & bobbin

I have a 99K that I haven't even tried yet but hoping I can do some leather work with it:yes:

12 hours ago, koreric75 said:

I really love my old singer 66, it was a treadle machine that i rescued from a shed/garage. I went through and oiled and everything worked pretty well, then decided i didn't want to treadle sew...lol, converted to a servo and just recently added a smaller speed reducer. I hated to a little, but this thing has such a beautiful stitch! 

Singer 66 picture - ~8-10oz of leather test stitch. 18/110 schmetz leather needle & 92 thread top & bobbin

koreric175, that little Singer you have (I think the decal is called LOTUS?) is my favorite antique Singer domestic. I used to own one, it had a nice oak curved case. The one I had I'd pieced together to make a whole machine setup, found everything for it I could see in the manual and it was so fun to fix it up.  It was such a beautiful machine and I did love the stitch quality too. Great machines!

17 hours ago, koreric75 said:

That's great! I wondered if I should put a servo on it down the road! I didn't see the back of the machine, how you hooked up the servo and reducer! What's the heaviest thread and needle that you use on it? That 92 you show in the pic looks sturdy enough! 

I got a Singer 66, Singer 201 and a Pfaff 30, and they are all quite capable and durable household machines. But they are not that durable as industrial machines.

The main problem will be the feed of the leather. The feed dogs may leave permanent marks on the leather surface. When you sew more layers it can be difficult to have an even feed at top layer compared to lower layer. You can do helpful modifications like speed reducer, a heavier tension spring and a food with a slid to the back. I normally prefer to use the Singer 201 and Pfaff 30, because they got full reverse stitch length. You need to turn your work to lock the stitch with the Singer 66. I think the the Singer 66 got lower thread friction at the hook than other machines, so in this way it operates with less driving power. You may find some tips on my channel below. This is a video of a Singer 66 sewing Tex 135 thread in 6 layers of vinyl: https://youtu.be/p6tsFd8kpbM

9 hours ago, Gymnast said:

I got a Singer 66, Singer 201 and a Pfaff 30, and they are all quite capable and durable household machines. But they are not that durable as industrial machines.

I have to agree with what Gymnast said about these machines. In my experience, they really are not industrial machines. I have owned all of the above mentioned machines and have to say, not only are there issues with tension & feeding when using thicker materials, but I found the stitch lengths to be quite limiting when moving to thicker threads. Also, the needle plate holes can be too small, adding to the problems. You run out of thread quick in the bobbin area if machine has a class 15 bobbin or approximate, which is another problem. The thickest threads I've been able to run in domestic machines was about a #69, poly bonded. This is also a good weight thread for home upholstery work. Curtains, couch cushions, that type of thing. The #69 thread may be thicker than you need for some household sewing, but it is what I have on hand and I have lots of it.

The thread I use most in my Juki Quilting (TL98) machines is a bit lighter, About #46.. used for sewing patches on uniforms, but also for drapery weight and home upholstery work. Not a full industrial, but stitch length is longer. These Juki machines do have an optional needle plate with a wider hole for thicker threads which I use often. Also, the Singer 20U does pretty well with #69 thread, but I have put a heavier tension spring in the machine to accomodate Industrial poly bonded thread.

Edited by suzelle

10 hours ago, Gymnast said:

The main problem will be the feed of the leather. The feed dogs may leave permanent marks on the leather surface. When you sew more layers it can be difficult to have an even feed at top layer compared to lower layer. You can do helpful modifications like speed reducer, a heavier tension spring and a food with a slid to the back. I normally prefer to use the Singer 201 and Pfaff 30, because they got full reverse stitch length. You need to turn your work to lock the stitch with the Singer 66. I think the the Singer 66 got lower thread friction at the hook than other machines, so in this way it operates with less driving power. You may find some tips on my channel below. This is a video of a Singer 66 sewing Tex 135 thread in 6 layers of vinyl: https://youtu.be/p6tsFd8kpbM

Thanks, this info helps. I think 69 thread is what I may want to use with this for lighter 2-5 oz leather wallets and wallet compartments. Good to know I can use 135 and a 22 needle though! I have a CB3200 Cyl Arm machine on order for the heavier stuff. Thanks for the response, and thank you too Suzelle!

14 hours ago, DanaStanley said:

Thanks, this info helps. I think 69 thread is what I may want to use with this for lighter 2-5 oz leather wallets and wallet compartments. Good to know I can use 135 and a 22 needle though! I have a CB3200 Cyl Arm machine on order for the heavier stuff. Thanks for the response, and thank you too Suzelle!

Dana, so excited for you that you ordered the CB3200 Cylinder Arm! Can't wait to hear when it arrives!!!! Oh I'd love one too! :)

Edited by suzelle