MtlBiker

Template for Curves?

I'm having some trouble making nice curves on things like pouch flaps.  I have little trouble with round corners, or the actual cutting, but what I'm having trouble with is marking the actual curve that I want to follow.  I have a couple of plastic template thingies but they're inadequate for the majority of what I need.  I also have one of those flexible curve things and that also is probably not the best for this.  I do use that to make nice flowing curves on things like apron sides, etc. but pouch flaps have always given me trouble.

The best solution I have found so far is to use a design program on the computer (bezier curves) and drag out the shape of the curve I like, print it out and trace it on my leather.

How do you folks do it?  Have you a better way, or are you just so good at eyeballing the curve that you don't need any aids?  Here is a little pouch I'm currently working on and I'm really not happy with the curve on the flap.  I'd like to refine it before finishing the edge and installing the snap.

IMG_0041.JPG

You can fold a piece of paper in half, draw one side of the curve, cut it and unfold the paper. That will give you a pattern.

I like tracing from a printed page as you're doing.  I don't cut out the pattern.  Just sketch over the printed pattern on lightly cased leather then clean up the lines with a pen or pencil before cutting.  I usually do a bit of shaping with a drum sander to fix my mistakes.

I lay my curves out with dividers and French Curves.

curves-drawing-2aaa.jpg

+1 for french curve templates.

i use a compass. And sometimes french curves and sometimes paper folded in half or sometimes something round like a coin, jar lid.  or even a ruler lol

the way to make a curve keep your wrist on the table forget the French curve stuff keep the wrist and forearm on the table using only your wrist to make the line this is the best way to make a curve practice it and you'll see . 

and yes fold the paper in half to make both sides even 

I have a plastic french curve thingy hanging with my other tools.  Haven't ever needed or used it yet.

Have always been fortunate enough to find a jar lid . . . coffee can . . . outlet cover . . .  bean can . . . or something else round . . . that will always work.

Plus I built strap end cutters for 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/2 inch out of pipes I cut off half of them . . .  sharpened the other half . . . one whack with the mallet . . . I have a perfect round end on my strap.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Samalan said:

the way to make a curve keep your wrist on the table forget the French curve stuff keep the wrist and forearm on the table using only your wrist to make the line this is the best way to make a curve practice it and you'll see . 

What I ended up doing (again) is using a graphics program to draw my curve using bezier curves.  That made it perfectly symmetrical and I was able to control the amount of the curve.  I printed that out, and used it as a template on my pouch flap to cut it.  Came out pretty darn well if I say so myself.

I've decided that I don't really need curves. Straight lines (tapered for a pouch flap) and rounded corners are sufficient for most jobs.

Use a compass that holds a leather pen. Mark a center line. Open the compass from the center line to the edge. Use a piece of scrap leather with a dab of double sided tape on the bottom. Place point of compass on scrap leather and move scrap leather along the center line for the length of the flap.

14 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

What I ended up doing (again) is using a graphics program to draw my curve using bezier curves.  That made it perfectly symmetrical and I was able to control the amount of the curve.  I printed that out, and used it as a template on my pouch flap to cut it.  Came out pretty darn well if I say so myself.

My son is a cad computer guy he also uses a computer for curves buy the time he makes the curve adjustments and all that crap I have already cut the leather LOL

I use these arch curves. Beefy, and are worrh it. Actually, a few other tools in there that are worth the money too. 

https://zeebeeleather.com/tool-shop/mascon-amp-zeebee-nesting-arc-jigs

4 hours ago, Klara said:

I've decided that I don't really need curves. Straight lines (tapered for a pouch flap) and rounded corners are sufficient for most jobs.

Hi Klara,

But I'm a guy... liking curves is in my nature!  :)

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea and it would work for many projects.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Use a compass that holds a leather pen. Mark a center line. Open the compass from the center line to the edge. Use a piece of scrap leather with a dab of double sided tape on the bottom. Place point of compass on scrap leather and move scrap leather along the center line for the length of the flap.

The only problem with that idea is that often what I want isn't a perfect arc of a circle that you could use a compass to create.  Maybe it's more pointy, or more gentle.  I was looking for other ideas/options, but so far what works best for me is creating the curve I want using a graphic program that has bezier curves.  Then I mark my leather according to the printout and cut away.  I'm not perfect with that cutting yet, but I'm getting better as I practice.

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

My son is a cad computer guy he also uses a computer for curves buy the time he makes the curve adjustments and all that crap I have already cut the leather LOL

You must be good!  But as far as my experience, I think it would be much harder to do this with a CAD program than with a graphic design program (like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer) which has easy to use bezier curves.

Here's the pouch I just finished... my curve isn't perfect because I kinda butchered it before making the curve design with Designer but as I said before, with practice I'm getting better and better.  This is a little belt pouch for a metal Secrid credit card holder.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

9 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

The only problem with that idea is that often what I want isn't a perfect arc of a circle that you could use a compass to create.  Maybe it's more pointy, or more gentle.  I was looking for other ideas/options, but so far what works best for me is creating the curve I want using a graphic program that has bezier curves.  Then I mark my leather according to the printout and cut away.  I'm not perfect with that cutting yet, but I'm getting better as I practice.

you can make more than just circles with a compass dont they teach this stuff in school anymore?

1 hour ago, AtomicLeathers said:

I use these arch curves. Beefy, and are worrh it. Actually, a few other tools in there that are worth the money too. 

https://zeebeeleather.com/tool-shop/mascon-amp-zeebee-nesting-arc-jigs

Those are really nice!  I'm strongly tempted.  I'll see what they will charge for shipping to Canada.  I have a set of arcs like that which I got from Amazon and they are such flimsy thin plastic that I really don't like using them and I certainly couldn't cut against the.

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you can make more than just circles with a compass dont they teach this stuff in school anymore?

In my case, school was almost 100 years ago!  (Okay, maybe not quite that long.)  But to use a compass to create something similar to what I just did for my pouch flap would have been challenging and probably would have taken a lot longer than it took to create the curve in Designer.  Of course, I'm familiar with that program (and Illustrator) and creating something like that takes only a minute.

21 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Those are really nice!  I'm strongly tempted.  I'll see what they will charge for shipping to Canada.  I have a set of arcs like that which I got from Amazon and they are such flimsy thin plastic that I really don't like using them and I certainly couldn't cut against the.

I had a look around that website and I must admit I don't fully understand the pricing:

https://zeebeeleather.com/shop/nest-briefcase

11 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

)  But to use a compass to create something similar to what I just did for my pouch flap would have been challenging and probably would have taken a lot longer 

lol we will have to disagree on this. I can use my compass directly on the leather and have it marked and cut out in a minute. Just like everything you are learning about leather it just takes practice, measuring/pattern making tools are part of it once you do it couple of times it starts coming back. Plus it doesn't waste paper and ink.  Now that you have your curve, trace it to a piece of card stock and save it so you dont have to remake it  every time. 

28 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

dont cut against them scribe or trace you line then cut it out. All i ever use is card stock for patterns.

36 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

You must be good!  But as far as my experience, I think it would be much harder to do this with a CAD program than with a graphic design program (like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer) which has easy to use bezier curves.

Here's the pouch I just finished... my curve isn't perfect because I kinda butchered it before making the curve design with Designer but as I said before, with practice I'm getting better and better.  This is a little belt pouch for a metal Secrid credit card holder.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

trim your nails lol.

48 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

They don't teach ANYTHING useful/practical anymore.

37 minutes ago, Spyros said:

I had a look around that website and I must admit I don't fully understand the pricing:

https://zeebeeleather.com/shop/nest-briefcase

Yeah, but worldwide shipping is INCLUDED!!!!  Probably hand delivered by the designer.  But surely that price is a mistake... I mean, it's not Dior, Hermes, or some other high end name.  Crazy price!

Their price for the aluminum templates sounds reasonable though, considering that thin cheap plastic ones are about $25 from Amazon.  And these you could cut against.