MtlBiker

Template for Curves?

32 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

dont cut against them scribe or trace you line then cut it out. All i ever use is card stock for patterns.

trim your nails lol.

I certainly don't cut against those cheap plastic ones!  I scribe my line and then cut.  It would be nice though to have those aluminum ones linked to earlier, as they would stand up to a lot and you could cut against them, saving time.

I had put that pouch in my jacket pocket this morning, together with my house keys.  SIGH  I wasn't thinking of the possibility of scratching the pouch.  It is though, just a practice pouch so it's no big deal.  I've got SO much to practice... making and marking my pattern, cutting out the leather, marking the stitching holes (I did that one just with an awl and a stitching wheel) and finishing the edges.  I never realized before getting into this exactly how much skill goes into a nice pouch or other leather product.  Gives me even more respect for you guys and what you are turning out.

2 hours ago, AtomicLeathers said:

I use these arch curves. Beefy, and are worrh it. Actually, a few other tools in there that are worth the money too. 

https://zeebeeleather.com/tool-shop/mascon-amp-zeebee-nesting-arc-jigs

Thanks again for that link...   I just ordered a set of those curve templates.  The shipping to Canada was reasonable enough.

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

The only problem with that idea is that often what I want isn't a perfect arc of a circle that you could use a compass to create.  Maybe it's more pointy, or more gentle.  I was looking for other ideas/options, but so far what works best for me is creating the curve I want using a graphic program that has bezier curves.  Then I mark my leather according to the printout and cut away.  I'm not perfect with that cutting yet, but I'm getting better as I practice.

I use a CAD program and a 3D printer to make custom curve cutting guides.

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

They don't teach ANYTHING useful/practical anymore.

They teach CAD and 3D printing in most high schools.  It is very useful for a multitude of things.

4 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

They teach CAD and 3D printing in most high schools.  It is very useful for a multitude of things.

LOL yea except how to actually use you own brain. 

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks again for that link...   I just ordered a set of those curve templates.  The shipping to Canada was reasonable enough.

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

I use a CAD program and a 3D printer to make custom curve cutting guides.

literaly 46 seconds to draw this including drawing the rectangle. As you can see if i add more lines ican get a rounder arc, make it longer or whatever. All with just a pencil and straight edge. i can scribe this directly on my leather and have it cut in a minute. dont even need a compass really.

radius1.JPG

9 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

literaly 46 seconds to draw this including drawing the rectangle. As you can see if i add more lines ican get a rounder arc, make it longer or whatever. All with just a pencil and straight edge. i can scribe this directly on my leather and have it cut in a minute. dont even need a compass really.

radius1.JPG

Wow!  You're really good!  (No kidding.)  I'm impressed.

And I'm really glad you showed how that's done.  I hadn't had any idea. 

But it would still be faster for me (maybe not you) to do this on the computer, especially since it allows me to easily modify the curve just by dragging the handles of the bezier curves.  And that lets me very easily try different radiusssssses.  :)  Until I get the one that's most pleasing to my eye.

I use poster paper same as your card stock I would guess I put the ruler on it use a knife against the edge of the ruler cut about half way through fold it divide by half the with of what I'm making cut that off then draw the curve cut that off lay it on the paper draw the outline and done maybe 1 min and it's perfect . For the cutting I use a head knife and depending on how sharp a turn I may use a pattern head knife they make the cutting very fast and accurate .

Just now, MtlBiker said:

Wow!  You're really good!  (No kidding.)  I'm impressed.

And I'm really glad you showed how that's done.  I hadn't had any idea. 

But it would still be faster for me (maybe not you) to do this on the computer, especially since it allows me to easily modify the curve just by dragging the handles of the bezier curves.  And that lets me very easily try different radiusssssses.  :)  Until I get the one that's most pleasing to my eye.

Not good friend just learned this way there were no cad programs when i went to school this was the way we did things. as always i wish you good luck it just takes practice leather work isn't rocket science its leatherwork, cave men did it.  Same thing with a compass or wing divider only faster, find the center and your good to go.

Ps at my age i have lived completly through  the computer era. Learned dos before computers had memories lol.  many cad programs, inventory progams, spreadsheet programs till the cows come home in the end most are not easier and way not faster just an endless learning curve of obsolete programs and upgrades. Just my opinion based on personal experience of course. I have two daughters that draw digitaly, one does animation. she built this video thing, an animation that moves and talks to her voice and movements she uses the character on things like youtube. I'm not bashing modern technology by any means it has its place. 

radius 2.JPG

Curves that are not tangent to the rad make me nut's but that's just me .

4 minutes ago, Samalan said:

Very well said!

(Whatever that means! :) )

2 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Very well said!

LOL thanks for that !

It's not so much what it means, it's what it says about the fabricator .

8 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Very well said!

13 minutes ago, Samalan said:

scarecrow.jpg

me too lol.

that's beautiful LOL LOL LOL

5 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Those are really nice!  I'm strongly tempted.  I'll see what they will charge for shipping to Canada.  I have a set of arcs like that which I got from Amazon and they are such flimsy thin plastic that I really don't like using them and I certainly couldn't cut against the.

They are really thick and sturdy. Ive tryed those amazon ones and yes they are a pain for sure. I use these almost every build I do. I guess when you have the right tools for the job then price shouldnt matter. Sure a compass work good but then I still had yo free and that compass mark. These you can just place where you want them, then cut around it. Simple. If you watch a few mascon leather build on youtube, he uses them a lot and you can see how you use them.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL yea except how to actually use you own brain. 

:16::17:

1950's   box of Keuffel & Esser  1860-30 luxylite french curves 

8 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Yeah, but worldwide shipping is INCLUDED!!!!  Probably hand delivered by the designer.  But surely that price is a mistake... I mean, it's not Dior, Hermes, or some other high end name.  Crazy price!

Their price for the aluminum templates sounds reasonable though, considering that thin cheap plastic ones are about $25 from Amazon.  And these you could cut against.

Nah not a mistake, that's his pricing

https://www.masconleather.com/price-list-1

Good for him.

The French Curves are you friends but if you need something more rounded Maker's Leather Company and Tandy have a template for round edges.

I started with computers before they were called PCs and what a learning experience it was. I never really thought it would catch on the way it did but I managed to be the top computer salesman in the country one year.

People back then were very hesitant about the learning curve but once they had one they were sold.

I love your answer to your problem.  Really thinking outside the box on that one.

Edited by AzShooter

I guess I have the best of both worlds LOL  I design in Corel and let the laser cut all the curves perfectly, No compass, no alum thingy majiggies no knives LOL Guess I cheat . Altho I can do most of it my hand if need be.:banana:

I use an assortment of templates for curves, corners etc.  Anything from coins to cardboard tubes  and spools that my lace comes on,  to  the round cardboard piece that comes with a  supermarket pizza, depending on the size of the curve /corner . I've also used the base of my glue tin as a template.  When making knife cases, the part where the press stud goes on the flap, I use my belt tip cutters for a nice neat  shape & cut. 

HS