Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Cape Horn

Not really leather work related, but kind of a big thing for a sailor. 
It is an overwhelming experience to be at "the bottom of the world" on a place that has claimed so many lives of sailors past. We were incredibly lucky with the weather today, sun and a light breeze so most of the day has been spent gazing at the fabled and feared Cape Horn.

We passed the Horn twice today, first westbound and then eastbound.

From the South Atlantic into the South Pacific and then back. We are heading for Ushuaia in Argentina now for a crew change, and then in a couple of days it'll be home to the family for me :-)

1925120331_KapHorn.thumb.JPG.0aac4216606a0eb91331dcd00b31d7f1.JPG

Wow!  Congratulations on 2 passages. That must be incredible. My only journey today is walking from the house to the barn -3 times. 

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

Wow!  Congratulations on 2 passages. That must be incredible. My only journey today is walking from the house to the barn -3 times. 

:lol: House to barn 3 times sounds pretty good to me :-)

That would give a chance of touching a couple of soft muzzles and that is a mighty fine thing in my book.

Yesterday we passed through the Beagle Channel going from Punta Arenas down here. Glaciers and sealions all over the place, It is hard to complain about such a view.

Nice!  It is foaling season for us. One colt born 3 weeks ago and 3 more foals expected in May. 

Nice! Much more adventurous than my trip to Anchorage. But the Iditarod WAS pretty cool. :)

Congratulations your a lucky guy to see so much of the world especially on a sailing ship. I saw the ocean once at 19 yrs old drove my mercury to California spent one night drove back home. LOL when i reached Oakland i had to get a map to find my way the ocean.

@TomE I don't think I could part with a foal if we had one :-) 
A foal is just like a puppy, it makes me want to hug it and stroke it over the soft fur all day long. 

Maybe a small post in this part of the forum with some pictures at the end of May?  (pleeeeease)

@tsunkasapa I had to look it up to see what Iditarod is. A sleigh dog race would be so cool to see. Alaska is pretty high up on my list of places that I'd like to visit.

@chuck123wapati :lol: I haven't been in Oakland, so It could be that they have hid the ocean pretty well over there. Normally it is a lot easier to find the sea outside of cities, being a country boy - big city traffic sort of scares me. I feel most comfortable in places where I can make a U turn if I need to or a three point turn if the road is narrow. And I find it a lot more comfortable to ask for directions out on the countryside compared to in a city.  

What an awesome view . The last time  I dipped my toes in sea water was...?....? :blush:

The ocean is over 3 hrs away from me. 

You're making all of us envious, well done   :) 

safe travels

HS

@Mulesaw if you're on Facebook see our Maefield Farm page or my personal page (Tom Ellenberger).  I can post here if you don't do FB.

@Handstitched Thanks, so far we are lucky with the weather. The pandemic is the worst obstacle for us since all the different countries have various rules and regulations.
3 hours drive to the ocean is far from someone living in Denmark where the maximum distance to the sea from any point in the country never exceeds 65 km :-) 
I actually dipped my toes in the Magellan Strait, when we were in Punta Arenas - just to have done it. (It was actually freezing cold).

@TomE Hi Tom, I'm not on FB, so a post here would be super nice I think. I checked the Maefield Farm homepage yesterday, but there was just a lot of pretty horses, and no adorable foals :-)

15 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

@TomE I don't think I could part with a foal if we had one :-) 
A foal is just like a puppy, it makes me want to hug it and stroke it over the soft fur all day long. 

Maybe a small post in this part of the forum with some pictures at the end of May?  (pleeeeease)

@tsunkasapa I had to look it up to see what Iditarod is. A sleigh dog race would be so cool to see. Alaska is pretty high up on my list of places that I'd like to visit.

@chuck123wapati :lol: I haven't been in Oakland, so It could be that they have hid the ocean pretty well over there. Normally it is a lot easier to find the sea outside of cities, being a country boy - big city traffic sort of scares me. I feel most comfortable in places where I can make a U turn if I need to or a three point turn if the road is narrow. And I find it a lot more comfortable to ask for directions out on the countryside compared to in a city.  

lol I am a country boy too  i was terrified driving a 1969 mercury cougar i could hardly keep up with traffic lol when interstate 80 turned into 5 lanes all going well over 90 mph. and nothing but buildings as far as the eye could see.

@Mulesaw here's the colt born this month.

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

@TomE What a cutie!!

If we had a colt like that I would probably not get anything done during the day - save for watching him and feeling his soft muzzle all the time. Foals are just so adorable with that little fluffy tail and those long legs. 

Is the mare one of your Caspian horses? 

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol I am a country boy too  i was terrified driving a 1969 mercury cougar i could hardly keep up with traffic lol when interstate 80 turned into 5 lanes all going well over 90 mph. and nothing but buildings as far as the eye could see.

Anything more than 3 lanes is scary I think. And especially if it is near a city where there are exits and merges everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

@TomE What a cutie!!

If we had a colt like that I would probably not get anything done during the day - save for watching him and feeling his soft muzzle all the time. Foals are just so adorable with that little fluffy tail and those long legs. 

Is the mare one of your Caspian horses? 

He is a warmblood bred for dressage.  He's a bit of a spitfire at this stage of his life.  The Caspian horses are less than 13 hands and bred as children's hunter ponies.  The remainder of this year's foals will be warmbloods bred for jumping.

23 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Here are a few shots from our musher taking my wife for a ride. She made all the harnesses for the dogs...27 of them.

IMG_20220304_124233.jpg

IMG_20220304_124238.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Removed redundant photo

Tried to delete redundant photo, no luck.

IMG_20220304_124227aaa.jpg

@tsunkasapa Sorry for the late reply, but I have just returned to the ship again, and I didn't find time to visit the net while at home :-)

That is incredible to make 27 sets of harnesses!  But I bet it is even more incredible to be pulled by a team of dogs. 

Brgds Jonas