cryptid

First Post First Project

Hi everyone,

New here and looking to learn more about leathercraft.  So far having a great time tinkering around with some cheap veg tan, a swivel knife, some cheap stamps, dyes, and whatever ideas pop into my head! 

Here is my first finished full project.  I made a personalized, fixed length guitar strap for a close friend.  Hand tooled and hand stitched, well hand everything lol.  I was proud of the end result and he intends to use it on stage at the next gig!  Hope you like it too.

PXL_20220226_180932196.thumb.jpg.8fa72fdf50144835048625ee0b12f0df.jpgPXL_20220226_163032660.thumb.jpg.096171a3e5ade671c9ce42bb9120b8d8.jpg

PXL_20220226_163156989.jpg

Looks good. That Celtic work can be real challenging.

Great job! Not all of our first projects turn out so nice.

Rock on, cool look

Very cool cryptid! Neat design 

Very nice,, it will only get better with time and more leather! Of course the tools will become an addiction!

Very impressive.  Love the inlay / underlay.  Keep on keeping on.

15 hours ago, TSes said:

Looks good. That Celtic work can be real challenging.

Thank you! I worked with by friend to pick out that tree of life design.  I was worried the detail would be too much for me so I did 2 tests pieces for practice.  Those also let me play with the coloring

10 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice,, it will only get better with time and more leather! Of course the tools will become an addiction!

Headed to the local Tandy to grab another econ side this weekend.  Soon I would like to pick up something exotic/more refined but I want more practice first. That addiction to tools is real and you are correct!  The list of wants is growing.

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Very impressive.  Love the inlay / underlay.  Keep on keeping on.

Thank you.  A cutout design seemed like a good place to start with the contrasting colors.  I tried to make it straight edge easy cuts on this one.  Already have another idea in my head that is not so easy. ha!

14 hours ago, Resurgam3191 said:

Nicely done..And totally cool! Love the Norse work

I love tooling the simple dragon heads and weaves.  They can both be super satisfying and can be as simple or complex as you are comfortable with.

11 hours ago, TheDavidLeathermanShow said:

Very cool cryptid! Neat design 

Thank you!  I see you aren't too far from Akron.  My buddy will be showing off my piece (an his music lol) on stage in a couple of Tuesdays at the new downtown R. Shea brewing location.

14 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Rock on, cool look

Thanks man!  I posted on twitter and caught the eye of a luthier I follow up in the high desert.  Making more soon and going to see if I can get exposure in that custom market.

15 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Great job! Not all of our first projects turn out so nice.

Thank you.  I went soooo slow with everything because my anxiety was so high.  I am sure I will have major failures along the way too but now that I am hooked and know what some patience can produce mistakes should be much easier to deal with :)

great looking piece your a natural, the sewing looks great.

18 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

great looking piece your a natural, the sewing looks great.

Thank you.  Quite the practice in patience and thread management.

Yes sir I know the brew house you’re referencing. I’m about a half hour south of akron. I shop the Tandy store in middleburgh heights near Cleveland area. Just an FYI once you work past the Econ veg at Tandy, weaver leather is in ohio near the city of Wooster has great options for a higher  quality leather. 

28 minutes ago, TheDavidLeathermanShow said:

Yes sir I know the brew house you’re referencing. I’m about a half hour south of akron. I shop the Tandy store in middleburgh heights near Cleveland area. Just an FYI once you work past the Econ veg at Tandy, weaver leather is in ohio near the city of Wooster has great options for a higher  quality leather. 

I did see Weaver was in based in mt hope maybe?  I did not see a brick and mortar retail shop. Do you have more specifics? How do we direct message?