Anybody got a pattern for one of these? Thanks.

image.jpeg

Leatherhub has something similar, but nothing exactly the same.  Seems like something he might like to develop, though —can't hurt to ask!

14 minutes ago, fredk said:

Tandy has a pattern for one. Its in a set of 4 different hats

Wow... if "Aristocrat" isn't the exact same pattern, then it's very VERY close!

Thanks. We have a new historical site for a muster of War of 1812/ Spanish War and friends dress up in these. 

Edited by 327fed

I know some Spanish and US regiments wore a stove pipe hat but would you also not be looking for the Belgic [style] Shako? In its long form and its false front form?

Stove-pipe style Shako

US 1812 soldiers, 01LW.jpg

Belgic Shako with false front, as worn by some re-enactors

1LW.jpg

btw; to be historically accurate; these hats, both the plain Stove-pipe, the Stove-pipe Shako and the Belgic Shako are made with the flesh side of the leather to the outside of the crown. This was to replicate the look of the beaver fur used on the better quality officers' hats

I’m sorry. I got my wars crossed up. War of 1812 and Creek Indian War. I am poor at leather, a worse historian. 

You should read 'The Chicago Massacre of 1812'. I got it as e-book

On 4/1/2022 at 2:34 PM, fredk said:

I know some Spanish and US regiments wore a stove pipe hat but would you also not be looking for the Belgic [style] Shako? In its long form and its false front form?

Stove-pipe style Shako

US 1812 soldiers, 01LW.jpg

Belgic Shako with false front, as worn by some re-enactors

1LW.jpg

btw; to be historically accurate; these hats, both the plain Stove-pipe, the Stove-pipe Shako and the Belgic Shako are made with the flesh side of the leather to the outside of the crown. This was to replicate the look of the beaver fur used on the better quality officers' hats

Having the flesh side (inners) of hide to the outside was also common on footwear and bags too to aid water-proofing?  The natural fibres meant that a consistent coating of grease or fat could be applied.  Not saying you might want to do that with an officers headdress but mere commoners might have used the technique on their leather headgear?