MariaMS

Singer 7-33 under restoration

10 minutes ago, dikman said:

I'm amazed that you got it to turn over. Says a lot for the original design and build quality.

it does, doesn't it.  I think everyone here is amazed - I'm still doubtful I'll manage to get her sewing, that partly depends on whether the thread we wrecked can be rebuilt or not......I don't know the names of the parts but its the bearing shaft that holds the oscillating cam that in turn drives the hook.  Looked like it got water inside, so the bearing cap was fused on to the shaft and there was a ton of rust inside where the shaft is machined down for the oil reservoir.  We had to wind the whole thing out as one piece.  Put a lot of stress on the thread.  It is one of the few bits I needed help with, I simply wasn't strong enough.  The other end unwound no troubles!!

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I'm amazed that you got it to turn over. Says a lot for the original design and build quality.

Have to admit - I did not expect this result! :huh:

Has anyone got thoughts on how to disassemble the hook?  The spring lever that holds the bobbin carrier  in place is stuck down.  I managed to take the carrier out by removing the tapered pin, to give more room to move, but the pin that holds the sprung part doesn't appear to go right through.  I wondered about grinding  in from the back to allow me to punch the pin out....... has anyone ever had to do this?

hook.jpg

I managed to get the lower mechanism working yesterday, although it worked better turning the hand wheel the wrong way ..... I think the issue was there are no feed dog plates so the canvas just walks in a circle with the feed dogs when I turn the hand wheel properly down and away.

And today I managed to free up the shuttle retaining spring, so the hook is now complete and in place. 

Maria,

WOW, just wow.

There's something about that nice slow mechanical rhythm..........so soothing.....:yes:

You're doing well, Maria.

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

do you spin the hand wheel towards you or away from you?

I'm used to a domestic hand crank which is geared so I was turning it up and away.  It should be turned down and away, like when you start a treadle..... hoping to get to the next town up the coast to sort out cutting some steel plate to make the throat plates, which should sort the issue of the canvas rotating with the feed dogs. Sadly we are too small to have a foundry with a guillotine in our town so I have to be a bit patient!!

Today needles arrived....... and it managed to pick up the bobbin thread with a bit of artistic hand movement and adjustment of the needle bar height, yay!!  So the timing/ at least is OK.  I think the main issue being there is a gap of about 1mm between the hook and the needle - how much gap is normal for these machines?  Obviously there will be a way to adjust it given the variety of needle sizes.... is it via the bearing that the assembly runs on (orange circle)?  if I don't hear back I'll have a look at that tomorrow...... I need to bear in mind I still don't have the needle/throat plates or tension springs so there is only so far I can go until I get them (next week hopefully for the plates). PS this is an old picture pre clean up, but shows the machine screw I'm thinking of)

hook adj.jpg

Edited by MariaMS

That is at least where needle to hook relation is adjusted on the Seiko SLH-2B and they're pretty much the same. 

3 minutes ago, VanRhodes said:

That is at least where needle to hook relation is adjusted on the Seiko SLH-2B and they're pretty much the same. 

Great to know, thanks.  What is the distance between hook and needle usually?

As per the Seiko SLH-2B instructions manual its 0-0.3 mm. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, MariaMS said:

This morning's work involved heating....... the result was the rust welds opened up, and WOW I got movement in the main shaft!!  So we heated up the top end and got a dragon LOL - I'm lucky I have helpers for things like using a gas torch.... one of the many things on my list to learn about.

You are the Dragon Lady!

Great job so far!

4 hours ago, MariaMS said:

Obviously there will be a way to adjust it given the variety of needle sizes.... is it via the bearing that the assembly runs on (orange circle)?  

Correct

IMG_20220414_222231485~2.jpg

10 hours ago, suzelle said:

You are the Dragon Lady!

Great job so far!

LOL a dragon lady..... that's fun!! I see you have a few interests that align with mine - I am also a printmaker (a Farley letter press and an etching press) and a weaver with 6 looms including a dobby loom I built...... so things mechanical.

first stitches!!  Terrible I know, but a handmade slightly too thick wooden throat plate and no tension springs..... it is another step in a forward direction

S4610001.JPG

S4610002.JPG

S4610003.JPG

S4610004.JPG

5 hours ago, MariaMS said:

LOL a dragon lady..... that's fun!! I see you have a few interests that align with mine - I am also a printmaker (a Farley letter press and an etching press) and a weaver with 6 looms including a dobby loom I built...... so things mechanical.

That's right Dragon Lady! We are Kindred Spirits! I started my life in the Offset printing business. I love Lithography, Serigraphy, Offset, Screenprint. Have done all those things and still do the Screenprint. One of my shops is dedicated to Screenprinting - carousel printer. The other dedicated to Commercial Embroidery. But I also like patterning and designing, so like most of us Artsy Fartsy types, I'm all over the board! LOL. You are mechanical too I seel! Super Cool! I love it when you can comfortably co-exist among the guys while they do their thing too. I think it's important to express yourself in whatever way you feel like doing it, even when it may be a little harder because perhaps you are not as strong. But your "strength" could come in other ways. You can help eachother out. Personally I forget that I'm a woman when I'm creating things. But sometimes (like today) I overdo it and go home with a sore back. Always a workout, isn't it? Oh and that sewing machine you are lugging around looks H E A V Y !!! Thank goodness you have some help! What fun to see it all coming together. I'm so excited to see the needle bar moving up and down. Great video!

3 hours ago, MariaMS said:

first stitches!! 

Coming along quite nicely :specool:

HS

I've get impatient waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail, so this morning I made a take up spring from a bit of 1.2mm MIG wire.   It actually works - my stitches aren't baggy anymore!! I guess now I need to work out if the thread I'm using is the right size for the needles..... more research coming on. I am so happy to have got this far. The canvas is the same 12 layers of 16 oz.  I'm not sure about leather measurements but it is about 3mm thick.

S5510001.JPG

S5510002.JPG

S5510003.JPG

S5510004.JPG

I honestly never expected that this thing will ever sew again! Congratulations! :huh:

Assuming needle too far away from hook of needle bar set too high.

31 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I honestly never expected that this thing will ever sew again! Congratulations! :huh:

Assuming needle too far away from hook of needle bar set too high.

Thanks! I'm still figuring it out - I think it skips on the odd occasion because I still don't have a proper take up spring and the wooden feed  dog plates, which doesn't have a proper needle hole (it is more of an open D) as I misjudged the cut by a fraction.  So the tension fluctuates a little.... when it gets a bit tight, it skips, I'm thinking because the loop it too small for the hook to get through.  The needle bar height is good I think but I can check it in case it has slipped..  It was hectic today with it being Easter and an open day, so hordes of kids all sewing on the hand cranks and domestic treadles and having a huge fun good time.  It will be quieter the next few days so I can have another look at the hook/needle distance. I only have the one size leather point needle at the moment. I didn't want to get them and then find I couldn't get her sewing..... but I'm sure I can get it better as I get to know the machine!!

5 hours ago, MariaMS said:

..... but I'm sure I can get it better as I get to know the machine!!

Maria,

I think "getting to know the machine" might be a bit of understatement.  I think they should name the thing after you!  You have brought it back from the dead.  (Avoiding references to Frankenstein's monster for obvious reasons.)  My hat is off to you.

For rusted items electrolysis is an excellent way to go if done correctly. Anodes and cathodes have to be positioned properly, along with a good power supply.  For a penetrating fluid if you cannot get Kroil, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone works excellent. Given some time Kroil will creep into gaps as small as one millionth of an inch. 

Maria, you are amazing! You are very fast too! I cannot believe all the things you have gone through with this machine in such a short time and she stitches.

Yay!!!!! So, now I have to ask... Any plan on what paint and/or decals might look like?