MariaMS

Singer 7-33 under restoration

2 hours ago, suzelle said:

Any plan on what paint and/or decals might look like?

for now she has a coat of Rustoleum Flat Black..... and it looks pretty good..... old, but tidy.  She has lost her badge so I wasn't going to add decals either.... none of our sewing machines at the Park have been restored back to looking new.

Edited by MariaMS

On 4/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, MariaMS said:

for now she has a coat of Rustoleum Flat Black..... and it looks pretty good..... old, but tidy.  She has lost her badge so I wasn't going to add decals either.... none of our sewing machines at the Park have been restored back to looking new.

Maria,

Well it's still a treat to see this machine run! The paint and decals are just the icing on the cake, right? Fantastic project! Very interesting too! Thank you for sharing. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, gordond said:

Correct

Hi I'm still trying to get dimensions for the 7-5 needle plate so I can make one - I asked in a new post but no responses so far...... any chance you would have time to do a measure up and add to a photo?  We managed to make one OK but I think the needle hole was maybe a bit small (1.5mm) and was super close to the edge, which may mean I need to adjust the feed dogs more to the left to get a bit more of a margin so the hole can be a bit bigger.... I ended up breaking the needle as the tip caught the edge.

As requested..

As shown this is heavily worn but is an insert plate so can be replaced (on the todolist .. about 32 down...lol.. second skiver resurrection is 1st)

IMG_20220424_202613814~7.jpg

10 hours ago, gordond said:

As requested..

As shown this is heavily worn but is an insert plate so can be replaced (on the todolist .. about 32 down...lol.. second skiver resurrection is 1st)

IMG_20220424_202613814~7.jpg

Brilliant!!  Thanks so much!!

The Singer 7-5 has graduated from the intensive care ward onto her own bench. 2 oak headboards and what looks to be an old steel industrial sewing machine frame that was kicking about in the Engineering shop.  Now I know it will look OK, I'll stick the frame into the electrolysis tank and give it a clean up.  It is a good height for standing up at.  This shows the machine with a single coat of rustoleum flat black.  I'll probably do the frame in the same way, and leave the wood light coloured.

S5590001.JPG

I am so impressed  with the progress you've made on this project.  We had our doubts, but you've done so well  :thumbsup:

HS

I got another step further today - I had trouble with getting the tapered pin that holds the foot in place back in, and just had a thought that maybe I had the presser bar 180 degrees out.... so pulled it around and it went back together perfectly.  I had a friend helping today and we developed a better take up spring.  He also questioned why the foot wasn't travelling the whole distance, and we decided maybe there should be a spring in there too, so the foot can flick forward properly......got all that sorted and wow, we suddenly have perfect stitches!! If anyone has a 7-5, I'd love to see a pic of what the two springs actually look like LOL

S5610001.JPG

S5610002.JPG

S5610003.JPG

S5610004.JPG

Great work!

On 4/3/2022 at 12:32 AM, gordond said:

Actually... is your machine a 7-33?...

Just wondering if your 7-5 has a spring mechanism that returns the foot forward after is is pulled back by the action of the feed dogs..... the foot has a tiny hole in the back, and then there is the L shaped bit, as if there could be a compression spring on a pin nestled in there to do the job.  Tried a coil spring and it worked great but restricts the movement backward.  A ballpoint pen spring will be the net thing to try, but would like to see pics of what it SHOULD have in that spot...... and does the thread run through there, or should it come from the take up lever through the slot and skip the tab thing?

S5610002.JPG

Edited by MariaMS
missed a bit

Already posted a photo...2 pages back ..

But here is another closer view

IMG_20220403_160248566~2.jpg

And the thread take-up spring looks like this

IMG_20220504_232836279~3.jpg

I'm not going to remove the take-up tension mechanism to show details ..but I'm restoring a 7-33 at the moment and this is what it looks like inside behind the discs

IMG_20220501_142011752_HDR~2.jpg

14 hours ago, gordond said:

I'm not going to remove the take-up tension mechanism to show details ..but I'm restoring a 7-33 at the moment and this is what it looks like inside behind the discs

IMG_20220501_142011752_HDR~2.jpg

those two pics are perfect, exactly what I need.  I couldn't quite see it properly on your earlier image..... thanks heaps!!

On 5/4/2022 at 11:36 PM, gordond said:

but I'm restoring a 7-33 at the moment .....

is this a 7-33?  In Napier, so too far away for me.  Sorry I couldn't upload the link to itimage.thumb.png.2c8419c77f620130a2379ee8a4e1e94c.png

Appears so... Quite a lot of variants..

Critical parts missing..

I have paid less for a well worn machine ... and a heck of a lot more for a good one.

Screenshot_20220515-184352~2.png

Compare

IMG_20220501_141615753_HDR~2.jpg

Hmm I am all for restoring great quality machines, that need the skill and passion from  some one with magic hands, its what keeps history of the passed alive,

I have two class 7 , one is a twin needle don`t know what class as there is no badge , just a model number and other a single needle  7-33 ,

I am new to industrial ,machines sewing machines in general,

The cam on the upper thread take up is getting scared into, as my hand wheel is tight as the needle bar goes up then loose as it comes down, some thing is not right but I do not know what it may be, ?