Rbarleatherworks

Glue for Foam

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in gluing Foam together and what adhesive would be the best?

I'm working on a motorcycle seat and some of the foam needs to be replaced.

TIA

Regan

I use a rubber/latex based glue which is called Copydex in the UK. You may have something similar there

On Amazon Ca;

https://www.amazon.ca/Copydex-260920-COPYDEX-ADHESIVE-45981652/dp/B0001OZIFW

2 hours ago, Rbarleatherworks said:

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in gluing Foam together and what adhesive would be the best?

I'm working on a motorcycle seat and some of the foam needs to be replaced.

TIA

Regan

3M Spray 90 contact cement is the best but it must be 90 they have others 90 is best for your application .

I have used Weldwood contact cement in some limited stuff I've done.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks so much guys, I am not sure I can find Copydex locally but will try the 3M90 .... Thanks again :thumbsup:

R-

hmmmmmm .... actually it looks like I'm not able to get the 3M90 but I did find 3M77 or Gorilla Spray .... any ideas which would be the better option?

TIA

R-

14 minutes ago, Rbarleatherworks said:

hmmmmmm .... actually it looks like I'm not able to get the 3M90 but I did find 3M77 or Gorilla Spray .... any ideas which would be the better option?

TIA

R-

That's why I said 90 twice 77 will not work it's 90 or like Dwight said weldwood it's just that weldwood is a bitch to use on foam if you have a lot to do but again don't use 77 I cant talk about gorilla glue I don't use it at all.

what type of foam is the key to getting the right glue. Some glues or rather the drying agents used will melt some foams instantly. it wont take long to find out if you have a compatibale glue.

Ok... thanks again for the information... I think I will try the Gorilla (I prefer to buy locally) but will definitely practice on a few pieces before I commit. 

If it doesn't work I guess Amazon it is :)

Thanks again for the knowledge shared ... Love this page :)

On 4/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, Samalan said:

That's why I said 90 twice 77 will not work it's 90 or like Dwight said weldwood it's just that weldwood is a bitch to use on foam if you have a lot to do but again don't use 77 I cant talk about gorilla glue I don't use it at all.

@SamalanI am not questioning your experience, but just wanted more details regarding 3M77. I am getting ready to glue some foam on a boat seat and just happened to have a couple cans on the shelf. The 3M77 is labeled for foam. Is it the type of foam that causes an issue? I can buy 3M90, but wanted more information on your experiences. Thanks,

Randy