VIIXCIV

PFAFF 335 H2 (questions)

Hello I am looking to purchase some things for my PFAFF 335 (H2-17/1B L) and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions (if possible).

1. Would this Industrial Sewing Machine Take Up Check Spring work with my PFAFF model?
  2.  What type of feet are used in the pictures below? As the feet I have already on my machine do not allow me to get close to my drop down guide (leave a big gap from the edge) and I need to get close for card holders / wallets etc.
    • 1255677137_Screenshot2022-04-05at17_02_33.png.48b49cf96bd3f1f03ab19b57d505cb93.png1117607298_Screenshot2022-04-05at17_11_56.png.a76b620d02cf9da006ae36957ffc6520.png

Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

Have not compared the ones you linked (Singer type) with Pfaff but as long as you can find check springs advertised for Pfaff I´d rather buy those:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/9101093705-check-spring-pfaff-145-1245-genuine.html

Foot is a left toe foot

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/91-040475-04x5mm-outside-foot-pfaff-generic.html

You may find equivalents on Ebay as well.

Edited by Constabulary

As Constabulary had mentioned, Ebay may be a place to find them. I know when I got my Pfaff 545 nearly 10 years ago, I did find some good feet on Ebay. I'm about to buy some more of them too, knowing I can return them if they don't fit. So what's to lose?  Go for it! :) I've been searching on Ebay for Pfaff 545, but it appears the same feet work for the machine you have and others too, all Pfaff. Yes, Pfaff is different and their feet don't fit on the machines that take the 111 Style feet. Makes me unhappy, but oh well.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:47 PM, suzelle said:

As Constabulary had mentioned, Ebay may be a place to find them. I know when I got my Pfaff 545 nearly 10 years ago, I did find some good feet on Ebay. I'm about to buy some more of them too, knowing I can return them if they don't fit. So what's to lose?  Go for it! :) I've been searching on Ebay for Pfaff 545, but it appears the same feet work for the machine you have and others too, all Pfaff. Yes, Pfaff is different and their feet don't fit on the machines that take the 111 Style feet. Makes me unhappy, but oh well.

IT's extremely frustrating trying to figure out things about a sewing machine, I've been doing by hand since I started but now I'm using the sewing machine and since I don't know anything I feel s overwhelmed trying to figure it all out, I bought some;

DPx16LR 135x16 RTV size 120/19

+

DPx16LR 135x16 RTV size 110/18

And unfortunately they are farrrrrrr to big for my machine! I compared it to the needle I got with the PFAFF 355 and the difference is huge! 

The frustation + confusion is unreal

You are right, it can be frustrating at first. But once you know what needle length you are going to use in your Pfaff, you can keep buying same. Pfaff 545-H4 (at least mine does) takes two different needle lengths. It depends on how much lift you need, you would have the option of using the longer needle. You would adjust the machine for whichever you choose. I'm sure you figured that part out already.

For what size of needle to use, you'd have to know what thread you were going to use. What thread? I think I have needles that go from size 18 to 23 for my Pfaff. If you want, I can share more detail on that later. But let us know what thread you plan to use. Nylon? Poly? #92, #138, thicker? Thinner? Hang in there, it will all become pretty normal after a while and you will be so happy to save all that hand sewing time. At least I am guessing you might. :)

Edited by suzelle

52 minutes ago, suzelle said:

You are right, it can be frustrating at first. But once you know what needle length you are going to use in your Pfaff, you can keep buying same. Pfaff 545-H4 (at least mine does) takes two different needle lengths. It depends on how much lift you need, you would have the option of using the longer needle. You would adjust the machine for whichever you choose. I'm sure you figured that part out already.

For what size of needle to use, you'd have to know what thread you were going to use. What thread? I think I have needles that go from size 18 to 23 for my Pfaff. If you want, I can share more detail on that later. But let us know what thread you plan to use. Nylon? Poly? #92, #138, thicker? Thinner? Hang in there, it will all become pretty normal after a while and you will be so happy to save all that hand sewing time. At least I am guessing you might. :)

I won't lie to you... I really didn't know I could alter the machine to accommodate a bigger needle. :unsure: However I can look into doing that. This might sound like a daft question.. But is there a correct way of measuring the size of a needle? So I could then search for the same size needle as the one which came with the machine?

The thread I was planning to use is Meisi Super Fine linen Thread, M40 I believe (thin).. It's mainly used for hand sewing but I asked the question and you can use if for machine stitching too, I will also be using Soma Bonded Nylon tkt 40 which I bought from Konsew.com. I will be mainly using it for card holders, wallets and those type of thicknesses for now. However, I will eventually use thicker leather for making bag handles or bags in general.

I would love for you to send more details, anything which I can absorb and learn will be incredible.

Thanks again for the reply.

18 hours ago, VIIXCIV said:

I won't lie to you... I really didn't know I could alter the machine to accommodate a bigger needle. :unsure: However I can look into doing that. This might sound like a daft question.. But is there a correct way of measuring the size of a needle? So I could then search for the same size needle as the one which came with the machine?

The thread I was planning to use is Meisi Super Fine linen Thread, M40 I believe (thin).. It's mainly used for hand sewing but I asked the question and you can use if for machine stitching too, I will also be using Soma Bonded Nylon tkt 40 which I bought from Konsew.com. I will be mainly using it for card holders, wallets and those type of thicknesses for now. However, I will eventually use thicker leather for making bag handles or bags in general.

I would love for you to send more details, anything which I can absorb and learn will be incredible.

Hello again VIIXCIV!

Oh boy, now I may be confused too! LOL. Someboddy with some more experience with your model Pfaff will hopefully chime in. As I mentioned, my machine is a Pfaff 545-H4. The "H 4" is the highest lift machine Pfaff manufactured, so I have read. I'm not sure if your machine is a High Lift, but your model is different. The thing I know that is same as mine is that it takes the same feet mine takes. That's all I know because I do not own the model you have. To answer your question about needle length though, I learned that I had the choice of setting the machine up for the longest needle it would take, or the more standard length needle. At the time I had the mechanic set it up for me with the longest needle. I was doing lots of layers of vinyl material and had to stuff alot of material to be sewn under the foot. So that is why I made that choice. After 10 years of sewing on it with that set up, I can tell you that there are some disadvantages. First disadvantage (my experience only) is that the longer lenth needle tends to deflect and break more often than a standard length needle. The other disadvantage is that with all that deflecting and bending, you may end up hitting the needle hole in the plate every now and then. So I always seem to be checking for burrs or issues from that happening. So I think I would probably try using the more standard length needle in the future. If this limits me for lift/height, I don't know that yet until I switch over to a standard length needle. However, if it does limit me, I think I'd be fine with that as I'm no longer sewing those multi-layer vinyl banners any longer. I just love my Pfaff, love to sew on it and it's sturdy and smooth.

Oh, and I should also mention about sewing the vinyl banners on my Pfaff 545 - I made a lot of 20-25 ft. banners, which meant I was sewing pretty fast and also very long stretches of vinyl material thought the machine, this also caused my needle to get so hot that things could get smoking under my needle! Smoking hot! LOL. I didn't dare touch the needle when it got that hot, but I did have to slow down because it could melt things, snap my thread, probably break my needle too. Not sure, but it could have been a contributing factor to the needles breaking. A more reasonable sewing speed helped that situation. My neighbors downstairs used to comment that it sounded like a jackhammer upstairs, what is that? Haha. Were you sewing or what were you doing?

About the thread you are using (Meisi Super Fine Linen M40).... I have no experience with that thread, but it sounds like about the same weight and possibly the same feel as the Commercial Embroidery threads I use in my Big Embroidery machines, my thread is Madeira Poly Neon 40. It is a pretty standard weight thread as far as availability of needles and such. However, I'm not sure what your Pfaff machine is set up for. My machine is set up to sew with threads of a heavier weight, #69 on up to #92, that is about it. I know it can take up to a #138, but have not set it up for the heavy a thread.

One of the other things you may want to read about regarding thread is "S" Twist and "Z" twist, since you are going from hand sewing to machine sewing. Here is an on-line article to start you out,

https://www.servicethread.com/blog/left-twist-vs.-right-twist-industrial-sewing-thread-differences-and-applications   

but find out what the twist of the thread is that you are now using and if it would be suitable for machine sewing. It may or not be.

Anyhow, now I undertand why the needles you were using were too big, as you had mentioned. I hope that helps some. I've got to get ready to go to the shop, but interested to hear what you learn. Good luck to you today! Don't be embarassed, this Industrial machine thing is sort of a big deal when you are new to it and there is always more to learn whatever stage you are at!

Edited by suzelle

21 hours ago, VIIXCIV said:

Thanks again for the reply.

VIIXCIV,

Forgive me, I assumed your Meisi thread might be similar to my Madeira Poly Neon 40 thread, but it appears it's not even close. I did look that up and I'll admit to you that I am totally unfamiliar with that brand of thread. However, it looks like lovely thread, and when I looked it up, says it is suitable for both hand & machine sewing.M40=0.45 mm?? Says it is for leather, shoes, saddle, deinim, auto interior...

Then I looked up your Soma Bonded Nylon that you said you got from Konsew.com. That one says "Good for High Speed Industrial Sewing,  Leather, Shoes, Belt, Car Seats & more...   This also looks like a nice heavier weight thread. Again though, I've no experience with it. But this one does say what needle size to use with it and it comes in two sizes from what I read. I'm sure you already know this.

Your question to me was really about needles. So.... let me find exactly what needles I have for the Pfaff and report back to you only on that. Okay, off to the shop and I will give you that info later today or early tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day!

1 hour ago, suzelle said:

VIIXCIV,

Forgive me, I assumed your Meisi thread might be similar to my Madeira Poly Neon 40 thread, but it appears it's not even close. I did look that up and I'll admit to you that I am totally unfamiliar with that brand of thread. However, it looks like lovely thread, and when I looked it up, says it is suitable for both hand & machine sewing.M40=0.45 mm?? Says it is for leather, shoes, saddle, deinim, auto interior...

Then I looked up your Soma Bonded Nylon that you said you got from Konsew.com. That one says "Good for High Speed Industrial Sewing,  Leather, Shoes, Belt, Car Seats & more...   This also looks like a nice heavier weight thread. Again though, I've no experience with it. But this one does say what needle size to use with it and it comes in two sizes from what I read. I'm sure you already know this.

Your question to me was really about needles. So.... let me find exactly what needles I have for the Pfaff and report back to you only on that. Okay, off to the shop and I will give you that info later today or early tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning/evening Suzelle

Yeah meisi is now very popular in the industry especially for hand sewing as all the 'high end' artisans are starting to use it. I recieved the Soma bonded nylon today which is really pleasing to use!

The only problem I'm really have now is my tension is just seriously need to fix it! (i'm going to be posting a question on it) 

Also I look forward to the needle post!:thumbsup:

On 4/8/2022 at 9:38 AM, VIIXCIV said:

Good morning/evening Suzelle

Yeah meisi is now very popular in the industry especially for hand sewing as all the 'high end' artisans are starting to use it. I recieved the Soma bonded nylon today which is really pleasing to use!

The only problem I'm really have now is my tension is just seriously need to fix it! (i'm going to be posting a question on it) 

Also I look forward to the needle post!:thumbsup:

VIIXCIV, 

Exciting, you got a box of Soma thread. I just love thread, almost as much as I love paper. LOL. (Watercolor Artist in me). Yes, you for sure have to pay attentionn to tension. So, do ask away!!!! I'm sure everyone is waiting to answer questions, very helpful bunch here on this forum. I love it! Okay, gonna tell you what I use for needles on Pfaff 545-H4, with pics! Keep in mind though, I'm not saying your machine will take these needles, but mine does.244780639_NeedlesforPfaff545H4.jpg.b0f13cb86e3d65087a8f2a415a909b6d.jpg

MTX 190-755 Sys Neelde vs. 135x17 Sys Needle.jpg

Both needles were Measured with Micrometer. You had mentioned something about a measurement, so here you go! The needle on the bottom is the System I am now using in my Pfaff 545-H4. What I have used reguarly in my machine are the sizes I've shown in the first photo, which include 110/18, 120/19, 125/20. The thickeset needle I own for this machine is 22.

I included a 135x17 System Needle for comparison, because that is what my Consew 255 takes, and other machines I've owned used that System too. My new Juki 1541s will also take the 135x17 needle.

Edited by suzelle

On 4/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, suzelle said:

MTX 190-755 Sys Neelde vs. 135x17 Sys Needle.jpg

Both needles were Measured with Micrometer. You had mentioned something about a measurement, so here you go! The needle on the bottom is the System I am now using in my Pfaff 545-H4. What I have used reguarly in my machine are the sizes I've shown in the first photo, which include 110/18, 120/19, 125/20. The thickeset needle I own for this machine is 22.

I included a 135x17 System Needle for comparison, because that is what my Consew 255 takes, and other machines I've owned used that System too. My new Juki 1541s will also take the 135x17 needle.

Hey suz, 

Thanks for the info! I fortunately managed to find the PFAFF manual and it says that my machine takes both 134-135 needles, I managed to fixed my tension too I needed a new check spring !

It's all coming together slowly! The next thing is feet I think, get myself a few different types :yeah:

Oh that is great news! So glad you got the tension fixed too. Was it pretty easy putting the check splring in? I'm glad it's all coming together for you! 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:15 PM, suzelle said:

Oh that is great news! So glad you got the tension fixed too. Was it pretty easy putting the check splring in? I'm glad it's all coming together for you! 

Sorry for the late reply suzelle.

Truth is I took it to this really reputable sewing machine servicer and he was gobsmacked at just how much of a bad shape the machine was. Long story short he helped massively and done it all 'for free too' super pleased about that.

It's working lovely at the moment, I'm just waiting on my feet to come!

Great idea, taking it to a Pro to get it running! You were very fortunate to get such great help, all for free! The person must have just really loved working on the old Pfaff machines. What a great thing to be the recipient! Really glad it's working so well!

On 4/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, suzelle said:

Great idea, taking it to a Pro to get it running! You were very fortunate to get such great help, all for free! The person must have just really loved working on the old Pfaff machines. What a great thing to be the recipient! Really glad it's working so well!

He said to me he will be burried with his PFAFF 335 (not a joke either) so yeah i felt in good hands.