MtlBiker

Cowboy Necktie Sliding Thingie??

I've got no idea what it's called, but I'm talking about the somewhat decorative closure that could be used on the old cowboy necktie... that was basically like a string/cord around the neck with the closure sliding up and down the two ends on the front.  I've tried to search with a few suppliers, but not knowing what it's called makes it difficult.

I'm planning a new bag with a cord type closure (through grommets) and I really don't know what to use as the cord (do I make my own out of leather, buy something, or what?) and what to use as the closure.  I saw a really gorgeous leather bag that a lady had which really impressed me and it's probably beyond my skill level at present (but it's nice to dream).  Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

The bag the lady had was a Ralph Lauren and it might have been this model:

image.png

I learnt to call that tie a 'shoe-lace' tie and the thingy is a 'toggle' or 'woggle'. As used by some scouts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woggle

You could make your own or use very large buttons or beads

For small drawstring bags I use a large wood bead

Edited by fredk

neckerchief slide           Ask any Boy Scout :)  Old Ben Hunt had a pattern per month in Boy's Life magazine.

I know it as a "bolo" or "bola" tie slide.

11 minutes ago, TSes said:

I know it as a "bolo" or "bola" tie slide.

:17: Here is a link to just one of many styles.

Amazon.com: SeedBeadExplosion Blank Bolo Tie Round Slides Pack of 10 Silvertone 16mm : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

11 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Bolo Tie!!!  Great!  Thanks everyone. 

@fredk - Woggle... isn't that what a bicycle wheel does with a broken spoke?  :)  Fred, I'm not quite understanding how you use a large wood bead... do you drill a hole in it?  In any case, if I'm hoping (dreaming) of making a high quality leather bag like that, I need something a little more classy than a wood bead.  I'm probably biting off more than I can chew with this but I'm quite excited about giving this project a try.  I've already made some Swoon Bonny Bucket bags using fake leather and fabric and I found a YouTube video by Myth Leather Co.  who made a few modifications to the pattern and made his out of leather with a drawstring closure.  And I have some beautiful leather for it!

45 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

neckerchief slide           Ask any Boy Scout :)  Old Ben Hunt had a pattern per month in Boy's Life magazine.

Thanks, but for what I'm thinking of I probably need something a little more classy and elegant.

That bolo tie slide only has about a million possibilities attached to it.

Get a leather stamp with your logo . . .  stamp it and super glue it to the almost 3/4 inch round head on the bolo tie slide.

Solder a quarter to it . . . and there are half dollar and silver dollar look alikes that could be done as well.

Get someone to make your MtlB  idea in brass wire to solder to it 

Possibilities actually are darn near endless . . . and as a final thought . . . drill a hole in the middle of it . . . put a concho on it with her favorite design.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

. . . Fred, I'm not quite understanding how you use a large wood bead... do you drill a hole in it? . . . 

1. draw string bag, open, bead to the right

D&D Dice bag, 04LW.jpg

2. pull/push the bead along the lace and pouch closes

D&D Dice bag, 02LW.jpg

There is a more elaborate system of two laces and 4 beads, two on each side, in which you pull two opposing beads to close the purse and you pull the other two opposing beads to open the purse

I buy the beads with holes already through them. They are sold for and meant for jewellery making. My choice of bead is on the design of the bead and its size. A drill will soon make the hole the right size

Then there are these; two hole toggle buttons; these are large ones, about 30mm across. Will do the same job as the single hole smaller bead but for larger applications

2 hole button bead, 01LW.jpg

4 hours ago, Dwight said:

Solder a quarter to it . . . and there are half dollar and silver dollar look alikes that could be done as well.

No.. Since MtlBiker is a Canadian he should use a Loonie ($1coin) and on the other side a Toonie ($2 coin).

kgg

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Tandy has bolo tie parts https://tandyleather.ca/products/concho-bolo-slide-clip?_pos=3&_sid=2d924ee8b&_ss=r

String diameter is limited.  Lots of conchos, only fit on one side, clip compresses to lock the cord, not great for purses.

Thank you!  (I hadn't known what it was called so couldn't find anything.)  The photo of the item you linked to on the Tandy site is very poor and it's hard to understand how it works.  Also no spec is given for the diameter of the cord that it accepts.  I've been searching and Tandy has a 6mm braided leather cord which is the largest diameter I've been able to find but I don't know if it'll fit.  I guess I will have to phone them.  Is it correct that this is only part of what is needed?  You have to add a decorative piece (concho?) to it, plus bolo tips (again no spec given for the diameter or how they are fixed to the cord).

Between the cord, slide clip, concho and tips, it'll add about $36 to the cost of a bag.  Not including dyeing time, etc.  I'm certainly no Ralph Lauren :) so it will be hard to make a profit on one of these bags.  Luckily, it's a labor of love rather than a money making scheme for me.  I guess I'll have to search out other options that might be less expensive.  Maybe the cord doesn't have to be leather... but whatever it is should be classy.  SIGH

What have I gotten myself into?  :)

4 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

photo of the item you linked to on the Tandy site is very poor

I'll dig one out and take a couple photos for you.  The 6mm cord fits the tips, just glue them in.  Or tie a knot in the end instead and glue the tips so they don't unravel.  Seems to me they have both leather and vinyl cords.

11 hours ago, Northmount said:

I'll dig one out and take a couple photos for you.  The 6mm cord fits the tips, just glue them in.  Or tie a knot in the end instead and glue the tips so they don't unravel.  Seems to me they have both leather and vinyl cords.

Thanks very much!  Shame though that Tandy themselves didn't post a decent photo of the item.

You also said earlier that it was not great for purses.  Why?  It's exactly purses that I wanted to use this for.

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks very much!  Shame though that Tandy themselves didn't post a decent photo of the item.

You also said earlier that it was not great for purses.  Why?  It's exactly purses that I wanted to use this for.

Bolo clip plus a slider for jacket/hood cords.  The cord here is cheap Tandy 3/32" lace, 4 strand round braid with no core.  Just a trial experiment!

The bolo clip tears up the lace when it is slid to adjust the length.  Does it on Tandy's cord too!  The clamp is not easy to quickly open and close, so your clients wouldn't like that either.

The cord sliders I got were from a few years ago, from Mountain Equipment Coop (https://www.mec.ca/en/)   I can't find them easily this morning.  They are not wide enough for 2 cords, so have to use 2, one on each string.

Clamp open

20220407_090916.jpg

Clamp Closed

20220407_090933.jpg

Face for concho

20220407_090946.jpg

@Northmount - Thank you very much for the photos and your comments.  I guess I have to rethink this and try to find a better cord and bolo.  Obviously the big names, with their volumes and money, simply design what they want and have it made.  I'd be doing only a one of, or maybe two.  So I've got to find something nicer.  There are some options on Amazon but I'm not sure, without buying, that they'd work or be classy enough.  Back to the drawing board.

I've seen those cord sliders at MEC many times and they're way too small and common looking for what I want now.