I am doing a few saddles, tack, tack and saddle repair and building purses and some smaller items. I try to keep them all moving forward with all the various steps and what next. I have a pretty roomy shop with a large work/cutting table. A granite top table, a rolling whatever table and an oil/dye table. I have a tool bench. All my tables are always full of something or several somethings until I clean up which is usually not daily. I want to keep all the things together so I don’t double book hardware for instance. The saddles are out in the open and have stands to sit on so they are not really the problem. Do any of you have any tricks you use to keep your projects together and organized?

I just use boxes, and more boxes,  and note books

All just cut leather pieces go into one big box. Then as each set of items progresses it goes into its own box.

At the mo I'm making some coin purses, some coin wallets, some hex trays and other things. Now there is a box for the dyed but not assembled coin purses et cetera. Notes are written as to how many of the item are in the box and what stage they are at, eg '6 coin purses, rivet hole punched, dyed' With the likes of the coin purses which need a split-ring I put the required number [plus a couple extra] in a plastic bag with them so I'm not having to hunt for the rings later

When the items are done they get tossed into my 'sales' box

For game boards; cut boards are stacked in one area. Boards prepared for covering are stacked in another place and boards with their first leather cover are stacked in yet another [safer] area

How timely.  I have multiple projects scattered about.  I was using some shoe boxes but they're too big for just one or two things so I'm gravitating to 'borrowing' from work these interdepartmental vanilla envelopes that are well used but still usable. 

image.png.f5d3be0c7358f0406123b9e7ce5dbc6e.png

They lay flat for smaller things like pieces for my wallets, fold over knife sheaths and belts and other one off projects, including my patterns that I can slide in with it.  I was thinking how after they're done I can just keep the label on the outside of the template (wallet, belt, etc) to help keep them organized.  I've got my next door neighbor that is cleaning out her out shed and is going to give me these custom made counter height cabinets with long drawers (including counter marble tops!) that would work great for storage.  I was thinking how I can just take the front panel off those drawers to make them just shelves for easier access and to make it easier to find things.   Anyway, just thinking how I need to reorganize my garage to turn this into a proper shop and still be able to drive my truck in. 

For small patterns/templates or ones which can be folded I use plastic document wallets. I use a marker pen [sharpie?] to write on the outside what's inside. Notes about the pattern are put in with it.  Then these wallets are stored in a fold-up crate box

51O3InGIpnL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Every job get's a work order in trip order # a clip board with order forms those order forms have the job # also they have drawings, notes ,the price for the job is in a file cabinet under job # and     job name and other info   job #040822-58 Bill Smith cell ---------------. best time to call 10 am

when you place an order get the order takers name 

any changes to the job like now they want it to be black if there is a price change make a note have he she sign for change

get 50% up front the other 50% before you ship or handover your work 

Cash is King

one thing never sell,, give away, or reduce the price, on anything  you made that is substandard .

and there is a ton more but keep the job# and name with the job 

one thing when the job is ready to start you have all the parts you need that's when you can hang the clip board on the wall

sorry one more thing keep very close tabs on your time have a time sheet for each job not for others to see just you.

Thanks everyone for your input. You all have given me some ideas. I hope I get some more ideas from ya all. I did put in about a 3 foot closet rod where I hange all my larger patterns. They have a hanger type hook on the top with a cord that dangles down through a hole in the pattern with a little metal thing at the bottom. If it is a group of pattern pieces for one item they all go on one hook to keep them together. Still have a lot of room on the rod. I rather like it. Then for smaller pattern pieces they go in a plastic box.