Manakawari

Creases in veg tanned leather

So I have recently began making wallets. My job provides loads of scrap leather in various grades , types and colors and so I figured I could begin using this scrap leather to make wallets as gifts. Most of the leather is chrome tanned or softer leather so I have no problems but recently I have come across a large amount of stiff veg tanned leather used for making belts that I would like to use for wallets but I notice that as soon as I bend the leather its leaving creases and wrinkles behind that I would love to avoid.  Is there a method for softening veg tanned leather to prevent these wrinkles or is this grade of leather just inappropriate for anything that needs to bend? I will try and attach a photo of the leather before and after just one bend. Any advice would be appreciated.  I have a ton of this leather so I would love to find a way to use it.

Screenshot_20220408-165506_Gallery.jpg

Wetting it before bending it can lessen the overall effect . . . 

A light coat of neatsfoot oil to the hair side will lessen it as well.

You will NOT get rid of all of it however . . . ALL leather does that . . . some just more than others.

Wallet purchasers know that ahead of time.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight

That makes me feel better 

Yes, NFO and call it character. Each one unique. 

Is that from an inside bend?  For a wallet I use .5 to .8mm leather which I glue to a backing piece.  I use a wooden form and glue it at 90 degrees.  I do not glue the center other than the perimeter.  That alleviates the problem for me.

Edited by mike02130
add stuff

Hi mike, no its 1mm veg tanned with smooth face. The face has a gloss finish of some sort

I usually make sneakers but this grade is too stiff and thick for me to  properly last so I'm trying to think of other usea for it and wallets seem like the easiest usage I  can think of

Edited by Manakawari