Tallbalde

Advice on selling my Cowboy 3500 please

I'm Tallbald, now Tallbalde because at one time I lost my password in a laptop crash and had to reapply for membership here.

I've enjoyed my Cowboy 3500 from Toledo Industrial now I believe since 2015. I'd need to look back in the paperwork. Life has taken significant health changes for me and my beloved wife and we seldom do crafting shows any more. I don't even seek customers any more for my custom belts. Anyway, Bertha Jo, as I named my 3500 only seldom gets used any more. Wife and I now spend more time at home quietly. I am considering selling my 3500 and returning to small amounts of hand stitching for the few projects I do.

How would I find a fair market value for my 3500 these days? I understand that the cost of new ones has risen rather sharply. I don't see a machine like mine for sale when I look at Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or on Ebay the last several times I checked. Is there a Blue Book of sorts for leather sewing machines? I was told in the past that this series machine can be adapted to line-shaft power, which might interest the Amish community in counties near me or people going off grid. But I wouldn't know how to reach them and suggestions would be appreciated.

About my machine:

Hours on my machine? I'd be just guessing. But when I bought her new I bought 3, one pound spools of #137 thread and have used about 3/4 of the black, half the tan and little of the white. I have the factory accessories of course and an extra stainless right harness foot. Manual, screwdrivers from the factory also. 

A sale would have to be local pick up here in south central Kentucky. I'm just not set up to ship and beside, I'd rather a buyer see and operate my machine before buying. I know that too limits my possibility of buyer a lot.

Thank you all in advance. I don't expect to leave the leathercrafting hobby. But rather want to plan scaling back what I craft.

Don

You may want to PM Wizcrafts , he is the expert and go to source for all things sewing machines (IMO) on the forum. Good luck with your sale!

Thank you. Don

2 hours ago, Tallbalde said:

How would I find a fair market value for my 3500 these days? I understand that the cost of new ones has risen rather sharply.

A 3 year old machine is used no matter how little use it got. You will probably end up selling it for half what you paid for it. As for price increases, you can use it to justify whatever price you choose to list it at.

If you want to sell it here, please place an ad in our Marketplace section, under sewing equipment > used. Show a photo of the machine and accessories, its location, your terms and your price.

Thank you Wiz. And thank you for the invitation to list it here. Don

5 hours ago, Tallbalde said:

I've enjoyed my Cowboy 3500 from Toledo Industrial now I believe since 2015

I don't know if this helps but when I buy used machines my guideline for a brand name machine like Juki I am willing to pay up to 50 percent of the cost of a new same model machine.

kgg

Yes that does give me an idea where to begin. Thank you. Don

Tallbalde . . . take this for what it is worth . . . free advice.  It is how I would handle it.

Toledo sewing machine has it listed for I believe . . . 2700 dollars.  

Had you offered it to me . . . in excellent condition . . . back before I bought my 4500 . . . I would have jumped at an 1800 maybe even 2000 dollar price.

And while I don't know your personal home situation . . . etc . . . As for me . . . I'd load that dude up in a rented trailer and just flat out deliver it to someone within a 500 mile range . . . provided I got the money up front . . . and something like 50 cents a mile (one way) for the delivery.  Loading it in a trailer . . . covering with a tarp . . . tying it down . . . and taking a drive would be worth it for me.  

Again . . . this is just how I would do it . . . given my personal situation . . . your mileage may vary.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately I have spinal damage and wife is on oxygen after a near-death 17 day stay in the hospital with pneumonia. Got home Feb 17 but remains on O2. Traveling isn't an option. My machine would have to be pick up in Bowling Green, KY. I agree with the pricing thoughts you have shared too. SO much has become difficult to get these days as I myself have experienced. I believe that advertising locally in the several county area might be a good first step. Don

@Tallbalde I would love it, but right now it’s a little out of my price range, but if you get a buyer down this way I’ll be happy to help you out and pick it up and deliver it for you (no cost). 

I'd like to thank all those that took time to reply to my post here. My beloved wife Miss Penny is hesitant about me seriously looking into selling my Cowboy 3500, "Bertha Jo". She says that she hopes I don't regret letting my machine go as she knows that I've so enjoyed this beautiful steel and cast iron workhorse and the folks that I've met as a result of my craft. I'll get through my abdominal surgery, see what the results are and what the biopsies reveal. Then make the final decision on just what to do.

Just knowing that there's the possibility of placing my machine in a good home without a great deal of problems is comforting to me.

Thank you all again so much.

Don

All the best with the surgery, Don. Hopefully you won't have to sell off just yet.

Just saw this. Thank you so much. Really. Don

I’m waiting to hear how you did, I hope it’s all ok on your end