BrissyTrimmer

Help in identifying this skiver please

New member here, just introduced myself on another post, but I'm asking for some help in identifying this skiving machine. I have replaced the table, but took these pictures before I started disassembling the machine a little to remove the surface rust and get it into working condition again. As you can see, the makers tag has been removed at some point in its life, but there is a serial number stamped into the head. It is missing the cover for the bell knife, so I figured identifying the machine would be the first step in chasing up the correct part. The only name I have found is Fortuna on the bell itself.

Also, as part of the rebuild process, I'm planning on replacing the motor with a sewing machine clutch motor, so if anyone has any advice on doing so, that would be great too! The machine is running as is, but it's NOISY.

Also, if anyone knows where I might be able to find a manual for this machine (tough ask, I know), I'd love to get a hold of one so I can keep this old girl better maintained into the future.

Thanks in advance.

Noel

20220411_130509.jpg

20220411_130536.jpg

20220411_130522.jpg

Edited by BrissyTrimmer

could be an old German FORTUNA Model.

I have one on a shelf which I have started to restore some years ago but never finished it. Let me check I think it looks similar.

Constabulary, that would be very much appreciated, thank you. 

After a partial disassembly, all tarnished parts or those with surface rust were decreased and put into a vinegar bath for about 16 hours, then rinsed and polished with a green scotchbrite. Then everything was re greased and oiled before reassembly. I'll give all unpainted surfaces a quick buff with wax to prevent further corrosion while keeping as much of the original look as possible. I love the look of the copper oil covers! Also, the old direct drive motor has been replaced with a clutch motor removed from below a Juki LU-563 I picked up yesterday.

Tomorrow I'll make up a urethane belt to the correct size, then start I'll probably start fabricating a new cover plate for the bell if I can find some thick enough stainless sheet in my scrap pile. I ended up just making a pattern myself as I think I have two chances of finding the correct part; none and eff-all!

I'd still like to identify it if possible anyway, if just for curiosities sake.

20220417_123714.jpg

20220417_123719.jpg

20220417_123725.jpg

20220417_124117.jpg

Hi There, have a look at this post Brissy you might find something? 

Thanks for that Jimi. Yes, I had seen that post, and have saved the pictures of the parts breakdown for future reference. I actually think that my machine is a clone of the one pictured in this thread:

Mine has the 34mm feed roller, so possibly the v34? I have found a Fortuna the exact same as mine, but the casting has model 19 cast into it on the arm beside the Fortuna script. received_1159679124571792.thumb.jpeg.f2bb99f07b273c50d559b6dc5f1e8bcd.jpeg

finally.... here is mine. I restored it a few years ago (2 or 3 or so) but never really finished it :whistle:, still missing some pulleys. Has collected quite some dust meanwhile.

Looks very similar - Mine is a Model W (what ever that means)

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_7390.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7393.JPG

I like the look of that one Constabulary, and if mines the same, I seem to be missing some more parts. I have been looking for the shaft that runs off the side of the feed roller.

3 hours ago, BrissyTrimmer said:

I like the look of that one Constabulary, and if mines the same, I seem to be missing some more parts. I have been looking for the shaft that runs off the side of the feed roller.

I hope I get this thing done - one day - maybe... :whistle:

Back then (actually 2017 as I figured) I ordered a few parts in Poland for the nowadays 801 skiver (they all seem to be the same) and the parts worked for my skiver. You may have a source in Australia too - maybe MARFAR or you check ALI Express or Ebay for 801 skiver parts

You can download a manual and parts list for the modern 801 skiver here - you for sure find a lot similarities.

https://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Supreme-TK-801-Leather-Skiver_c_93.html

Thanks for that, I've ordered the dog bone shaft for the feed roller from Ali, it's meant for the 801, so fingers crossed it fits, otherwise, some modifications may be necessary. 

I once restored a Textima skiver for a LW member here and the "dog bone" was missing too . I cut a "801 bone" in the middle and put a piece of tube between the 2 parts - worked w/o problems. This was the one:

I just want mine working well, but you're starting to make me feel guilty for not prettying it up too! :P

Seeing your solution for the dog bone has certainly made me more confident that I can make it fit my machine too, so again, thank you for your information and inspiration. I've bookmarked the posts recommended by yourself and jimi for future reference, and I'll post more pictures as I progress.

A "Guest" (IP 207.162.218.5 Louisville, Kentucky, 40223) submitted this comment via the "report" system.  I would suggest to "Guest" that they join leatherworker.net so they can actively participate in more subjects and posts.

"This Skiver looks a lot like the one I purchased. It is a Hamlin Bell Skiver made in Lynn, MA"