MtlBiker

How to mark grain side?

What do you folks use to mark the grain side of leather?  I often need to put center marks or position marks on the grain side and I guess I don't have the right product because whatever I try either doesn't show or I can't wipe it off (it wouldn't always be hidden) later.  For now I'm trying to leave as unobtrusive marks as possible, and I've even used a ballpoint pen.

What's the best marking tool for this?

8 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

What do you folks use to mark the grain side of leather?  I often need to put center marks or position marks on the grain side and I guess I don't have the right product because whatever I try either doesn't show or I can't wipe it off (it wouldn't always be hidden) later.  For now I'm trying to leave as unobtrusive marks as possible, and I've even used a ballpoint pen.

i use a round awl, put just a very tiny mark, or dividers for lines. I use pencil too once in a while very lightly then erase it, get a good gum eraser.

21 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233745544654?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item366c51f5ce:g:eokAAOSwnfpfhsa~&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4DvDhcB3dKuemZ8TsxJzq11V3rXhQJK87eGDcS1hJ%2FqmSog4AUn1EvStpWEmCSE%2Fdi1I8PF9HgqiUoK7IRrKbo1yQz%2BBpmKdEEqM6clxtO%2Bhrr5KBWagfX9D5JbU9pspyNS%2B4IBC%2BYXArwJoqbjp2FfRw942tg0VZnGL48%2FY9WUnwYe%2FQkGhm%2BiS3xeuZhdlUM1aIi6G%2F8WO2nn8d2u4QvNm2W1opbAyYH52Ywvit85bQWYMSUtY7SVu1KlUFbC0wOgoyC8WsAx9yO0DSwioTqQcKbwLEfOKeVcZusw66JTO|tkp%3ABFBM6NKtpoNg

If its in an area to be cut or punched out - an ordinary biro pen. Or a 4B pencil, or a small mark with a pointy awl or tailors chalk. On leather with a finish I use Tandy's marker pen

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/leather-marking-pen?_pos=1&_sid=6b9cc59ba&_ss=r

Or put down some low tack painters masking tape and mark that with a pen

so many ways, each to suit the job in hand

Edited by fredk

Scratch awl, sometimes a pencil. NEVER ink.

I've tried all the things mentioned here and sometimes nothing works, it will either not show or will not be removable afterwards, pick your poison.  Especially those "leatherworking" silver ink pens can sometimes achieve the impossible: both not show AND not be removable afterwards LOL 

If I am confident the mark will be hidden I just use black sharpies.   If it will be seen I make tiny marks (which I typically can't find afterwards) 

One other marker I use to mark holes which will be punched out,  or sewn or laced over - a Tippex pen. Tippex is the UK name for 'wite-out' correction fluid. It can be removed with careful use of alcohol

9 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Scratch awl, sometimes a pencil. NEVER ink.

Yes, just this...

The silver pens made for marking leather work great for me. Just lick a finger and rub it to remove the mark. Silver shows up on black leather, which many other colors wouldn't. Otherwise, a scratch awl.

15 hours ago, Zonker1972 said:

i use a pencil

I've tried a pencil and either the mark couldn't be seen or I'd permanently marked the leather.  Is there a specific type of pencil you're talking about, or hardness?

15 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i use a round awl, put just a very tiny mark, or dividers for lines. I use pencil too once in a while very lightly then erase it, get a good gum eraser.

Sometimes I need to mark where the alignment centers are and if I use an awl (either scratching or putting a dot) my fear was that it would be visible to the buyer of the bag.  I haven't had any luck with pencils so far, but maybe I haven't used the right softeness of pencil.  I might bring a sample piece of leather to an art supply store and try out a few different ones.  Thank you.

13 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Sometimes I need to mark where the alignment centers are and if I use an awl (either scratching or putting a dot) my fear was that it would be visible to the buyer of the bag.  I haven't had any luck with pencils so far, but maybe I haven't used the right softeness of pencil.  I might bring a sample piece of leather to an art supply store and try out a few different ones.  Thank you.

i mark alignment centers with a small awl mark right at the edge of the leather, it then gets cut off burnished or stitched over. Or in a place that will be covered or removed like a snap spot or hole.  no one but you will ever notice unless you go crazy deep with the marks,

15 hours ago, fredk said:

If its in an area to be cut or punched out - an ordinary biro pen. Or a 4B pencil, or a small mark with a pointy awl or tailors chalk. On leather with a finish I use Tandy's marker pen

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/leather-marking-pen?_pos=1&_sid=6b9cc59ba&_ss=r

Or put down some low tack painters masking tape and mark that with a pen

so many ways, each to suit the job in hand

Thank you... I hadn't seen that Tandy pen before.  I'll get a couple on my next order.  If it really wipes off easily as they say, it sounds like exactly what I need.

52 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i mark alignment centers with a small awl mark right at the edge of the leather, it then gets cut off burnished or stitched over. Or in a place that will be covered or removed like a snap spot or hole.  no one but you will ever notice unless you go crazy deep with the marks,

The Tandy leather pen recommended above sounds like what I'm looking for.  In this particular case (where I got frustrated at not being able to mark as I wanted) it's a bag with drop in lining.  The leather is chrome tan with the edges skived and then folded in.  So the mark will not get stitched over nor burnished off.  But I've got to tell you, I'm real excited about this latest bag I'm making.  It's the most gorgeous bag I've made so far.  I've still got to add grommets and make a shoulder strap but other than that It's finished.  I'm stoked!  :)

Cheers!

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Thank you... I hadn't seen that Tandy pen before.  I'll get a couple on my next order.  If it really wipes off easily as they say, it sounds like exactly what I need.

Didn't wipe off the grain side for me.  I will only use it on the flesh side, silver on black.  Otherwise I use pen on the flesh side.  Tiny awl pricks or light scratch on the grain side.

I have a Marvy Gel pen (silver) and on most finished leathers it wipes off. It's recommended to test on a scrap first. 

I either use a pencil, because most of the marks rub off with a rubber or disappear after shaping, bevelling etc. , or if the item is to be  dyed black , I can use a biro ( pen) . The pen marks disappear when dyed black .  Or if the leather is chrome tan in a lighter colour, roo hide for eg.  I make sure I cut the leather directly on the line ....the line disappears.  Too easy  :)

HS

Scratch awl, soft pencil, ballpoint pen, silver pen,  sharpie... depends on what will stay or show up on the leather and whether the mark will be visible on the finished item. Mostly I use the scratch awl. Why the awl? Because it doesn't leak, run out, go blunt and has a multitude of other uses.

Edited by Matt S

On 4/12/2022 at 3:38 PM, Northmount said:

Didn't wipe off the grain side for me.  

Sometimes its stubborn. Use a crepe eraser to eliminate it. A more severe removal is using an old fashioned eraser for ink on paper - but use that just enough to remove the mark, too much and it can ruin the leather surface