NeilMott

Zonepack Leather Splitter with Replaceable Blades - thoughts?

Hey everyone.

I'm a small time leather worker, mainly making watch straps.  I came upon this splitter on a video and found it on eBay. 

Picture:

1757770734_ScreenShot2022-04-13at11_51_43AM.png.eb31ecb4f550cb0309ccdd63dd0e76ed.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185262187198?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2b227ca2be:g:3I0AAOSwcXFgvdsM&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4EZQjfF0vLV1YfxSqMDSB9HGe6IAOwnmwnJADY0BiOenxz0eVwJZMkKoK%2BcC8DN83S%2B72zDJvv9g2%2B5Dsmu2MCT8yiALLbeLNo4tQBDR8ivA4pKCVeKmIeLeJPfnyl2Nznrw16htA0tX6R1fOwWsz%2FDbnLqdJ%2Bp4scKZNFIaBcFgt1j3N%2BtyCOyfGqhZPg9V4PkwcXr7d0Dopsb9Dx8PKQ8RZewlyhn5KI%2BlKhCbCcRxXDd0ThrUH0LWfoWZqAnzxw4PBy3%2FqZON%2BjGB%2FJ8u64lJ1o47fyDWek%2BthkPdzgsw|tkp%3ABFBMgqSXvYRg

I like that it will hold the leather via the springs and that the blade is replaceable.  I know, I know..  I'm just not great at sharpening blades.  Anyone have experience with this, or similar?  My only wish, would be that adjusting the thickness was done with one set screw, so that it'd ensure that the thickness was uniform.  

Thanks,

Neil

Looks the biz. Just make sure the replacement blades can be obtained. I have a hand-held strap skiver which takes replaceable blades but the blades are near impossible to buy now and if found cost a lot of ££ each

Edited by fredk

Great call on the blades, Fred.  I'm double checking with the seller, but the youtube video on it mentioned Olfa blades.  In the comments, they mention the black blades last a lot longer.  I think they're talking about these (EDIT: another listing said 18mm blades):

https://smile.amazon.com/OLFA-9069-UltraSharp-Snap-Off-Heavy-Duty/dp/B000LE3V74/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2GRMTQA7SWUHC&keywords=olfa+blades+18mm&qid=1649871457&sprefix=olfa+blades%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-6

Best,

Neil

Edited by NeilMott

1 hour ago, NeilMott said:

Great call on the blades, Fred.  I'm double checking with the seller, but the youtube video on it mentioned Olfa blades.  In the comments, they mention the black blades last a lot longer.  I think they're talking about these (EDIT: another listing said 18mm blades):

https://smile.amazon.com/OLFA-9069-UltraSharp-Snap-Off-Heavy-Duty/dp/B000LE3V74/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2GRMTQA7SWUHC&keywords=olfa+blades+18mm&qid=1649871457&sprefix=olfa+blades%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-6

Best,

Neil

Neil, I would be VERY surprised if that device uses those Olfa blades.  Those are the 18mm utility knife blades that snap off in sections.  We are very familiar with those blades and use them all the time in our (non-leather related) workshop.  You mention seeing something about the blades on a YouTube video... I didn't see any mention of a video on the eBay product page.  Like @fredk suggested, be very sure that replacement blades are easily available and at a reasonable cost.

I watched the video again and the guy references 18mm Olfa blades.  The only 18mm Olfa blades or any blades that come up on a search are the snap-off kind.  I wouldn't see why those wouldn't work.

Here's the video:

@NeilMott - I stand corrected!  Those ARE the Olfa blades that I was sure wouldn't work.  But I guess they do in fact work.  I would have expected them not to split the leather evenly (due to the snap off grooves) and that it might be hard to hold the blade in the correct position.  But I just looked at that video and you're right.  I does seem to work.  Go for it!  :)

(Is that the same as the one in your eBay link?  You're sure that one and the one in the video would take the same blades?)

Wot he says; I can buy 18mm s/o blades £1 per 10 - too cheap to sharpen, just replace

18mm s/o are a standard size

I was about to buy one from Zonepack and then I found the same thing on eBay.  It seems to be the same in every way. 

Thanks for all the info/thoughts/advice!  I've been spending a lot on supplies this year and this is one more thing... But at ~ $60 it's kinda of a no-brainer.   

I'll update with how I like it.

Best,

Neil

I got the splitter yesterday.  It was $65 shipped with tax.  Arrived very quickly.  The bolts on the bottom, holding the mechanism to the base were pretty loose, but it's solid once those were tightened.  I'm currently holding it to my work bench with clamps as I'm not sure if I have the space for a permanent location.  I used it to thin some chrome tanned leather.  The leather stretched but that's because it's chrome tanned.  It cut cleanly and was easy to adjust.  The springs are very strong and held in place very well.  It came with a few blades, but I'll be getting some of the Olfa black blades for it soon.

Neil

IMG_6485.jpg.thumb.jpg.233040daa37bbab776d9f2c0b96604a9.jpg

IMG_6486.thumb.jpg.14a3d622d3918686e6687ccb66a2d5c8.jpg

If it can do thin chrome tan veg tan will be a doddle

The price is right with these but they do have some issues in use. . I've got one coming in on a trade so Ill have one in my hands to try in a week or so.

Pretty much the experience of a few guys who bought them was universal.

With most splitters you want the edge of the blade to be top center of the roller or a hair behind. With this design the roller-blade edge relationship changes with the thickness. It can make for some uneven splits especially the thicker you go. The 3 person consensus was "OK/surprisingly - pretty good/worth it" for splitting lace and saddle strings. For belts from skirting or heavier leather - two thumbs down, one "it was OK for a couple belts but wouldn't want to do a bunch, please send me the next Osborne #86 you have ready". 

For me, I'm hoping to use this for thinning watch straps at the folds and thinning leather for the keepers.  I can see what you mean about the roller - edge of the blade relationship.  If I was doing high volume, I'd step up for a better splitter, or go right to a bell skiver.    Looking forward to your thoughts Bruce.

Neil

Following up - I got two of these in yesterday. Here are my thoughts. They are pretty solid and I didn't have the issue with loose pivot bolts as mentioned previously. As-is blades were as expected - not quite sharp enough like most utility blades. A bit of time on a few different buffing wheel/compound combinations and they performed much better but...(read below).  

The adjustments were pretty straight forward. You set the thickness you'd like with the two independent set screws, Push the handle forward, insert the leather, and pull. Simple enough.

As I mentioned above I like my splitters so the edge of the blade is at the top dead center of the roller or just a minute touch behind it. Too far in front and the leather rolls under the blade edge. Too far behind and the leather tends to right up the blade chop off. This is true of several types of splitters. There is some forward and back leeway with the blade to position it for different thickness setting. I got pretty good hold down ability of the splitter to hold blade position even with the blade extending pretty far forward. (as an aside, I got a regular utility knife blade to work also)

Issues -

1. You can put a really fine edge on the snap off utility blade.  Out of the box I thought the snap off blades were OK for narrower work, but on a belt width they drug a bunch. Buffed up and they did one belt, then the edge curled halfway through the second. The bimetal regular utility knife blades hold an edge much longer and are more durable, but narrower. The snapoff blades were good for several 1/2 inch and 3/4 straps. as were the regular utility blades

2. Even through the springs are pretty strong I had a problem or two crop up. On thicker firm veg tan I tried to push forward, put the leather in, let go and pull.  A couple straps split unevenly because the spring allowed the roller to push away from the set position. A few the roller never pulled back under the leather and it just skidded through.  I pulled up on the handle while I pulled a few more straps from that leather and it worked. Not ideal but sort of workable.

Upside - these are inexpensive and relatively well made. 

My takeaway -  These are going to eat up some blades so there is that future cost. These are actually pretty good for narrow straps (3/4 and under), latigo ties and saddle strings - no issues. A couple people have reported them to work well for leveling rawhide lace for braiding.  Belts - these would not be my first, second, or third pick even if I was doing one every so often. I've got some $150 Amazon versions that are better in my hands than these and worth the difference. Even those still aren't a good Osborne but fit a price and performance point better for meatier work. 

Thanks

A good review.

Not that I'm likely to buy one tho. I'm happy with my hand held splitter

On 4/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, NeilMott said:

For me, I'm hoping to use this for thinning watch straps at the folds and thinning leather for the keepers.  I can see what you mean about the roller - edge of the blade relationship.  If I was doing high volume, I'd step up for a better splitter, or go right to a bell skiver.    Looking forward to your thoughts Bruce.

I have splitters and I wouldn't bother pulling them out the drawer/setting them up to do the turnbacks and keepers on a watch strap, I'd just got at it with a knife and be done in no time. Granted hand skiving is a skill and a perishable skill at that but it's a fundamental skill in leatherwork and the minimal investment in a decent knife, blade maintenance, a pile of scrap/offcut and a bit of swearing is well worth it. Lisa Sorrell is the queen of skiving and gives decent tuition for free on her Youtube channel: 

Think you may be missing the point Matt, he is looking from hat he says to split the whole strap not skive the top or bottom or edges

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

Think you may be missing the point Matt, he is looking from hat he says to split the whole strap not skive the top or bottom or edges

On 4/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, NeilMott said:

For me, I'm hoping to use this for thinning watch straps at the folds and thinning leather for the keepers.

[my bold]

:shrug: Maybe, but that's not my interpretation of what he typed.

Damn it all ! I just bought one of these last night. £63.56 inc delivery and 10 spare blades. UK Seller. Delivery by the weekend or so. I could have got it a heck of a lot cheaper if I could wait 30 to 50 days for delivery but I have some projects on hand now that I can use it on

My hand-held splitter will do to about 45-50mm width but the other day I realised I would like to split down some leather that will be 9 - 9.5 cm wide. Enter the bigger splitter

On 4/25/2022 at 10:00 AM, Matt S said:

[my bold]

:shrug: Maybe, but that's not my interpretation of what he typed.

Hi Matt. 

I appreciate the link and clarification.  Ideally, this splitter would be used enough it'd warrant being out all the time.  Right now, 95% of what I do is watch straps, so making keepers would be a common thing.  I also use leather that is typically 2mm or thicker,  too thick for a keeper in my opinion.  

I am at first thinking this might be a quicker way to thin the leather I use for keepers.  While almost everything I do is by hand, having a way to thin the leather I use, quickly and consistently is what I'm after.  It's not like I can't do it by hand, but in theory this would be quicker and free up some time.  I might also be able to (if necessary) thin out some thicker leather as well.  I have some bison that has a very messy flesh side that I may use the splitter to remove.  Any saved time = tiem for other straps and projects, or gleaning info from this amazing forum.

Best,

Neil

On 4/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, fredk said:

Damn it all ! I just bought one of these last night. £63.56 inc delivery and 10 spare blades. UK Seller. Delivery by the weekend or so.

Delivered this morning, a short time ago. Now to go play with it, and find a space on my cluttered work bench to bolt it to. There is no room on my lesser cluttered work benches for it