suzelle

NOT Real Leather - Auto Upholstery!

Okay Seamsters and Seamstresses,

Please go easy on me - this is the back bench a late 60's Plymouth Fury I have just reupholstered. I'm including a "Before" shot of the front seats, plus an "After" shot of the back seat. Sorry, I didn't have before and afters of both, but it's a complete set and finished!!!! Not real leather, but hey... there will be real leather jobs to come! 

Before.jpg.cf3a4c3512c2d969afc87a05d5e5a027.jpg1459180005_upholsteredbenchseat.jpg.fe083bd2b6024fe7915b9181f3bca7ec.jpg

New Juki 1541s.jpg

Last photo is the new Juki 1541S - which I will need (Higher Lift) to keep doing jobs like the one above. So excited! Today I'll be putting the Juki machine together and hopefully do a faster job at cranking this stuff out. :)Hoping for no problems with the new machine! This whole sewing machine purchase thing has stressed me out but I am feeling better now that shipment is complete. I'm used to paying far less for old machines! I have purchased a few brand new, but it has been a long time!  Hopefully the "New Girl" runs like a champ and starts making money quick! Wish me luck!

Also, I want to thank you all for answering any of my questions recently about the old Consew 255RB. She is running as good as she can now and will be going to a Friend of mine soon who is really in need of a machine. A very talented young guy who can do just about anything. I know he's going to put that machine to good use!

Edited by suzelle

Beautiful work I envy anyone who can do that work. !!!! leather or not. My family had a 59 fury. 

@suzelle - Wow!  Most impressive!  It looks so professional and well done!  And congrats on the new machine!  I'm envious.  I dream of one day getting a nice new Juki.

Do you know about the Upholstery Forum?  I'm sure they'd love to see photos of the finished job.

Very nice! Enjoy your new machine.

Straight stitches, clean finish, and nice machine. You’re gonna go places, might already be there. ️ I’ve got this 68 ford Fairlane you’re more than welcome to display your skills on…… keep rockin it. 

Wow!    :notworthy:

Years ago I was involved with a company which restored old buses. That seat you have done looks so much better than the work of so-called professional upholsters we had to use

Very nice!

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Beautiful work I envy anyone who can do that work. !!!! leather or not. My family had a 59 fury. 

Chuck, thanks so much! You can be sure I have also been envious, seeing all the beautiful leather work and sewing machines you all display on here. I haven't been able to show my work, at least I felt I shouldn't because I'm working more with fake leather or vinyl lately. So I'm glad you haven't all sent me away yet. LOL! I've done a leather Aircraft interior, but that was 10 years ago. My work in leather is more to the wholesale trade, I do quite a bit for the Auto and Aircraft folks.  I'm having a ball doing the Auto Upholstery for my friend's shop and feel happy to ve surrounded by very gifted people. By the way, the Plymouth Fury was a great car wasn't it? Our family had one too, lots of drives to the beach, crusing down the coast in that car. Good times.

Mtl Biker - Thanks for your nice words and the congrats on my new Juki too! Don't worry, just keep dreaming and there is one for you too! After 3 days looking at the boxes (I was too busy) I unpacked them all and put the machine together. Had to go to the Auto parts store 3 times before I got the belt right! Auto parts guy gave me wrong size, his mistake.  He grabbed on 5" bigger than I asked for. LOL. Then I over-corrected and got one a little too small, 3rd time was just right! LOL! He called it a Goldilocks thing.

T Sunkasapa - I appreciate that! Thanks for commenting, means a lot to me!

Garyak - Thank you kindly! Oh, I do have a lot to learn! Lots of things I want to do! Oh boy, you got a Ford Fairlane? We had one of those too growing up. I think it was my favorite car back then, parent's car. Funny, that car seemed kind of small way back then. But I test drove one a few years ago (v8 Engine) and that car was a rocket!

Fred, thanks for the Wow! :) Well that is a nice compliment and I needed it!

Jrdunn, Thank you! Much appreciated!

Wow that looks like a lot and not easy work

11 hours ago, Spyros said:

Wow that looks like a lot and not easy work

Thank you Spyros! Well, the biggest challenge were the rounded corners that frame the 1" straight rows on the main seat face pieces. The reason for the challenge is that my poor Consew 255RB does not have a high enough lift to conquer the many thicknesses, then the layers get even thicker as you are rounding those curves, which made it impossible to do in a very smooth manner. Too much tugging and stuffing under the foot while trying to tame all the layers. So I moved to another machine in the shop that has a higher lift for those areas. That machine is a Juki 1541S, plenty of lift on that machine. Thus the reason for purchasing one myself! I'm setting it all up now, today I make my first stitches on my own Juki 1541s. So excited! Now I'm ready for another curve ball or two! LOL.

3 hours ago, suzelle said:

Thank you Spyros! Well, the biggest challenge were the rounded corners that frame the 1" straight rows on the main seat face pieces. The reason for the challenge is that my poor Consew 255RB does not have a high enough lift to conquer the many thicknesses, then the layers get even thicker as you are rounding those curves, which made it impossible to do in a very smooth manner. Too much tugging and stuffing under the foot while trying to tame all the layers. So I moved to another machine in the shop that has a higher lift for those areas. That machine is a Juki 1541S, plenty of lift on that machine. Thus the reason for purchasing one myself! I'm setting it all up now, today I make my first stitches on my own Juki 1541s. So excited! Now I'm ready for another curve ball or two! LOL.

It looks like a great machine, enjoy and show us what you make :)

New Machine - Juki 1541S - All put together and stitching perfectly! Her name is HOPE. Well, that's self explanitory! LOL

Hope she runs - every time!

IMG_6638.jpg.fdbcfddd3f14cace2317440d14e5a779.jpg

IMG_6637.thumb.jpg.d340463b1a7bda1233bef93ce50829d3.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, suzelle said:

Okay, Just discovered a few days ago that Customer hadn't picked up the seats yet, so adding pic of finished FRONT seats, or Driver and Passenger

Seats/Front. Each side folds forward to allow passengers to enter the back seat.

IMG_6652.thumb.jpg.f37629086c7533d71234761152c8ea21.jpg

Before Pic (Again) of FRONT Seats

Before.jpg.cf3a4c3512c2d969afc87a05d5e5a027.jpg

upholstered bench seat.jpg

Edited by suzelle

Great job, if I was the car owner I'd be stoked with this result!

Great workstation for the machine too, it's nice to have that table extension 

Great work Suzelle! I'm guessing you're really familiar With Cechaflo on the Tube?

6 hours ago, Spyros said:

Great job, if I was the car owner I'd be stoked with this result!

Great workstation for the machine too, it's nice to have that table extension 

Thanks Spyros! Owner picked up the seats, he did seem pretty happy. I'm not sure he knew who did the upholstery job, and I sure don't need the attention. I'm happy to just sit in my corner and sew! LOL. I have worked at places in my past where they want me to answer phones and make the deals. I can do that, but it does take me away from what I love to do, pattern, design, sew! I was just happy he was pleased. :)

Thanks, yes workstation is a great start, just added a plastic folding table to the back of it temporarily. I ordered a table with wheels so I can be portable. They can move me around the shop as needed, depending on how many cars we have in at the time. I like my own little area. It's a little too close to the Boy's bathroom, but oh well. You cannot have everything! LOL.

Today, I have to finish a boat interior, then the rest of the day I'm hoping to set up my new Sewing Table. I've got a couple of wood shop tables I built a few years back that are 4'x4" and 2'x4", used in my sign layout (part of my own business) and prep area. I no longer need them for that purpose, so I'm going to shorten them up to the height of my sewing table, then alter the tables to fit my new plan - dedicated sewing table with extensions. I think it should take about a day and a half to get them all ready. Then I'll have a really great sewing table and it won't cost anything. Well, maybe a couple more wheels and some nuts and bolts. Not bad!

5 hours ago, toxo said:

Great work Suzelle! I'm guessing you're really familiar With Cechaflo on the Tube?

Toxo, yes I just discoved Cechaflo on youtube a few weeks ago. Wow! That is mesmorizing what he does? He goes so slow, so careful and exact. Love his work. No words, just video. It's really skillful what that guy does. You only see his hands.

Juki Table New Layout.jpg

Table with Extensions Out.jpg

Edited by suzelle
Adding Table Layout Plan

In the words of Suzanne Sommers' character ("Blonde in a T-Bird) from American Graffiti - "I do love tuck and roll leather"