Apacheleatherworker

Western Breast Collar

I was wondering what part of a skirting leather side would be good to use for making my own breast Collar? Also any tips or advice would be appreciated.

What type are you looking to make?  Tripping, pulling or roping collar? Are you going to line it? 

Generally you want to cut strap type goods from towards the top 1/3 of the back.  Sometimes however it is what you have left from other priority cuts.  Any cut moderately firm skirting will work. Especially if you line it and stitch it.  

A roping breast Collar is what I'm planning. I'm not going to line it because I am going to be ordering a 13 oz skirting.

What do you have planned for the rest of the side?  I always liked to cut a set of Stirrup Leathers (top of the back toward the butt end 66" to 72" long) off first.  Always good to have an extra set on hand. Then you can cut other straps needed (rear cinch, billets, belts...)  This can include your breast collar.  

Do you have a sketch of what you want?  Do you have a favorite to model one after.  Here's a pretty simple design all straight cuts.  I prefer a ring or d ring in the center.  You can have a plate behind or just have the three straps coming off of it.  

Are you sewing or riveting?  You'll need to skive some to make the turns around the rings. 

I can answer more questions you might have when they come up.

2047251729252739401.jpg

I want to make some guitar straps for a customer and flank cinches and tapaderos. I am still deciding on what design carving I want to make, since this breast Collar will be fot myself. I am going to use Tandy's breast Collar template.

I will be hand sewing this saddle stitch. I am going to be receiving a leather hide and it's 12 to 13oz. When I receive the hide what part of the hide would be best to cut my breast collar out. The back,shoulder etc. 

Top 1/3 of the back for strap goods, breast collars, rear cinch, guitar straps (could be toward the shoulder area of the back it will be a little more flexible).    Lay out the projects you have planned for the side.  Sounds like the taps depending on length may be your biggest item.   Toward the butt of the back will be your firmest.   

On 4/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, bland said:

Top 1/3 of the back for strap goods, breast collars, rear cinch, guitar straps (could be toward the shoulder area of the back it will be a little more flexible).    Lay out the projects you have planned for the side.  Sounds like the taps depending on length may be your biggest item.   Toward the butt of the back will be your firmest.   Thank you, I will keep you posted and if any problems arise I will let you know. 

Thank you I will keep you posted on how it's going and if I run into any problems