ColdEye

Using an arbor press on solid copper rivets + burrs?

Hi all,

I want to incorporate some solid copper rivets into a few pieces I am making (small, probably a #12 or even a #14), and I was wondering if I can set the burr (with either an osborne/weaver/buckle guy setter) using an arbor press? I have a two ton arbor press that I use for setting snaps and other types of rivets. Has anyone done this? I couldn't see why it would not work, but then again I am still a beginner. Thank you.

I use the set of setters from Buckle guy. BG copper/brass rivet setter set. 3 punches, one hollow for setting washer, one small dimple for setting the rivet after  cutting, and one big hollow for doming the flat rivet head. I've been very happy with them. About $60.

I've used these since the sixties with good success.

Rivet Setting Tool for Copper Rivets - hwebber.co.uk Hwebber

Thank you for the responses, were those using an arbor press? Checking the local leather store whichever one they have in stock and going with that setter.

That tool is for a hammer.  You 'set' the washer on the rivet with the long deep hole, then cut off the rivet, about 1/16" to 1/8" sticking out.  Peen around it with the round end of a ball pein/peen hammer.  Then you use the little round recess to finish that end nicely.  You need to back up the rivet with something hard and heavy when pounding, like a small anvil, chunk of steel on your bench....  even the end grain of a dense wood chunk.

God bless

Edited by MikeRock

Thank you, had to try it for myself. Setting the washer was super easy with the press, but using the tool (found a Weaver one) to dome/peen it is very difficult, almost impossible. 

9 hours ago, ColdEye said:

Thank you, had to try it for myself. Setting the washer was super easy with the press, but using the tool (found a Weaver one) to dome/peen it is very difficult, almost impossible. 

after you set the burr you use a horse shoe nail clipper to cut the rivet post, then you use the peening tool

10 hours ago, ColdEye said:

the secret is in  how much post you leave after cutting it off, takes some practice.

Yes I did cut the post, tried different lengths, to almost flush, it seemed about 1/8th or a bit less looked the closest to it mushrooming over.

Every time I set a copper/brass rivet, I kick my self for selling my rivet gun after finishing my airplane. Stupid!! Stupid!! I still have some rivet sets, but they won't work with a hammer.

I use a small ball peen hammer to round the edge after cutting the rivet.  Much quicker and easier than using the tool.