PAMuzzle

Help with Mauser HSc holster

I was asked to build an OWB right hand holster for a Mauser HSc.  It is for his son who lives in St. Louis, I’m near Pittsburgh, PA.

He wants an avenger style, not WWII flap holster.

Does anyone have a pattern I could use or any instructions on building it from a picture?

I have all the dimensions.  

0FD26375-97D3-4E82-92AE-C4E188F38C02.jpeg

Take those dimensions . . .  go out to your wood shop . . .  build a wooden replica of the weapon.

THEN making the holster is a piece of cake.

Couldn't tell you how many I've done that way . . . have a gun mold box that has almost as many wooden ones as it has blue plastic ones.  That is why.

May God bless,

Dwight

19 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Take those dimensions . . .  go out to your wood shop . . .  build a wooden replica of the weapon.

THEN making the holster is a piece of cake.

Couldn't tell you how many I've done that way . . . have a gun mold box that has almost as many wooden ones as it has blue plastic ones.  That is why.

May God bless,

Dwight

EXACTLY how it is done. 

I needed a mold for a Chinese Makarov

I took a picture and glued it to a piece of wood, cut the excess wood off and sanded 

001.JPG

Edited by Frodo

Good idea.  I will try that. Thanks 

That mauser looks very similar to a walther ppk. You might check dimensions online but looks very close. If it is you can find holster props for the ppk.

Or, wrap the gun in plastic wrap and use that and jlsleather instructions on making an avenger style holster?

Be careful using a Walther PP series mould.  The underlug(part of the frame in front of the trigger guard) is signicantly different and will prevent the pistol from properly seating into a fitted or molded holster.

10 hours ago, Hags said:

Or, wrap the gun in plastic wrap and use that and jlsleather instructions on making an avenger style holster?

OP is in Pennsylvania, son with the pistol is in Missouri.

I ran into that situation several times, people wanting a holster made for a pistol I did not have and no dummy gun available. The choices were:

1. Purchase a pistol. This is viable only when there is significant demand and more orders to be expected.

2. Mr. Customer can send his pistol to me via a Federal Firearms License holder, pay the shipping both ways, pay the FFL transfer fees at both ends. Usually requires next-day air service, which is a bit expensive ($75 or so each way). Many FFL holders will do the transfers and charge $25 to $50 or so for each transfer.

Another scenario is a new handgun model announced by a major maker (happens every couple of weeks for the past 15 years or so). Lots of people wanting holsters for their new guns, but no dummy guns (probably won't be seen for a year, if ever, depending on market demand). Dummies are usually available only for current production handguns that have achieved a large market share; new models and older models are seldom seen.

I bought a lot of guns over the years. Most paid off over time. Some sat in the gun safe for months or years with no orders coming in. As soon as I used one to pattern and form a holster for sale the gun itself is a tax-deductible business expense (here in the USA anyway), so I looked at it as building my retirement fund with tax-free money. After retiring I sold most of them, usually making a tidy profit (which is recaptured depreciation, treated as capital gains for tax purposes with very preferential tax treatment).

A few customers sent their custom or one-of-a-kind handguns to me. I really did not like to have them on hand because of the liability for loss or damages (my business insurance policy had a $1000 deductible). Considerable risk to assume for a single holster order.

I thought about obtaining a Federal Firearms License so I could receive and transfer firearms in accordance with the law. But then my shop would be subject to inspection and audit at any time, and every firearm on the premises would have to be treated as inventory, recorded in the bound book, records of every transfer, background checks, all the other hassles. More intrusion than I was willing to accept.

Edited by Lobo
spelling

And the holster is a surprise to the gun owner from his dad.   Picture of pistol is from the internet (Google images). But I will check PPK avenger style, a WWII type holster is listed for HSc and PPK.

may have to get with his dad to make the mock-up.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:12 AM, jrdunn said:

Be careful using a Walther PP series mould.  The underlug(part of the frame in front of the trigger guard) is signicantly different and will prevent the pistol from properly seating into a fitted or molded holster.

This is true BUT

If they are similar enough dimensionally that underlug could be built up easier than building a new mold.  

Not out if wood, but cardboard. Stitch lines too close so tore them out.  I used a piece of leather that was 1-2 oz thicker than another mockup from the same hide.

Customer’s son is coming into area next weekend.  May get to try it in a new mockup that fits.

BDB02518-8CD4-42FA-B82F-6FDE6F153C6A.jpeg

D8CEB77B-9DAA-4495-97E1-CDE4CC412847.jpeg