mariuspirvu

Salem witch hunter hat

They were awful people but I like their hats so we made one. You can watch it being made here

thumb DSC_0003.jpg

thumb DSC_0004.jpg

thumb DSC_0011.jpg

thumb DSC_0012.jpg

thumb DSC_0017.jpg

thumb DSC_0019.jpg

thumb DSC_0020.jpg

thumb DSC_0024.jpg

thumb DSC_0030.jpg

thumb DSC_0039.jpg

6 minutes ago, mariuspirvu said:

They were awful people but I like their hats so we made one. You can watch it being made here

thumb DSC_0003.jpg

thumb DSC_0004.jpg

thumb DSC_0011.jpg

thumb DSC_0012.jpg

thumb DSC_0017.jpg

thumb DSC_0019.jpg

thumb DSC_0020.jpg

thumb DSC_0024.jpg

thumb DSC_0030.jpg

thumb DSC_0039.jpg

your a little off friend. 

A capotain, capatain or copotain is a tall-crowned, narrow-brimmed, slightly conical "sugarloaf" hat, usually black, worn by men and women from the 1590s into the mid-seventeenth century in England and northwestern Europe. Earlier capotains had rounded crowns; later, the crown was flat at the top.

The capotain is especially associated with Puritan costume in England in the years leading up to the English Civil War and during the years of the Commonwealth. It is also commonly called a flat topped hat and a Pilgrim hat, the latter for its association with the Pilgrims who settled Plymouth Colony in the 1620s. Contrary to popular myth, capotains never included buckles on the front of them;[1] this image was created in the 19th century.[2]

I just thought they looked cool and never went for a historically accurate implementation but thanks for the info! Also in my opinion a popularized misconception can wedge itself more deeply into our culture than a barely known fact can. I am just parading my ignorance here so don't mind me :D

20 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

your a little off friend. 

A capotain, capatain or copotain is a tall-crowned, narrow-brimmed, slightly conical "sugarloaf" hat, usually black, worn by men and women from the 1590s into the mid-seventeenth century in England and northwestern Europe. Earlier capotains had rounded crowns; later, the crown was flat at the top.

The capotain is especially associated with Puritan costume in England in the years leading up to the English Civil War and during the years of the Commonwealth. It is also commonly called a flat topped hat and a Pilgrim hat, the latter for its association with the Pilgrims who settled Plymouth Colony in the 1620s. Contrary to popular myth, capotains never included buckles on the front of them;[1] this image was created in the 19th century.[2]

56 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

It is also commonly called a flat topped hat and a Pilgrim hat, the latter for its association with the Pilgrims who settled Plymouth Colony in the 1620s. 

You and other US Americans may make that association but the hat was known as the Pilgrim's hat in Europe as far back as 1099. It was the hat of choice initially by Pilgrims  and fighters going to the Holy land in the first Christian wars. Illustrations in old manuscripts show the hat worn by Pilgrims

mariuspirvu Your hat design looks OK in a Steam Punk way, but it looks a bit over complicated on the making of the crown and brim, imo

8 minutes ago, fredk said:

You and other US Americans may make that association but the hat was known as the Pilgrim's hat in Europe as far back as 1099. It was the hat of choice initially by Pilgrims  and fighters going to the Holy land in the first Christian wars. Illustrations in old manuscripts show the hat worn by Pilgrims

mariuspirvu Your hat design looks OK in a Steam Punk way, but it looks a bit over complicated on the making of the crown and brim, imo

actually i just posted what wiki had, its merits as fact are pretty iffy. I don't know much about the hat personally but i did know they weren't just for witch hunters or just puritans of that era.

42 minutes ago, mariuspirvu said:

I am just parading my ignorance here so don't mind me :D

lol me too obviously.:)

coincidently Ann Putnam was my 8th great grandaunt.

Edited by chuck123wapati
more info

9 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thank you! I wanted to exclude the need for using wire on the brim and that's what complicates it. My wife's hands still hate me