MtlBiker

What Edge Finishing Products used in this video?

I just watched a YouTube video of making a Lighter Case and there's no voice or text in the video and the description is all in Russian.  As a relative newcomer to leather work, I'm curious about what products he uses to finish the edges of the leather.  He first applies something that looks like a clear gel, buffs it, then applies his edge paint and finishes up with a milky product and buffs again.  Any idea what the clear product and final milky products might be?  And would you agree that's the right way of finishing edges... first one product, buffing, then edge paint, and finishing with another product and buffing?  I do have some edge paint but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Any idea what the clear product and final milky products might be?  And would you agree that's the right way of finishing edges...

Good questions. I don't know what the first gel-like product is (maybe a primer), but the second two products are Tokonole, a burnishing gum that comes in black, brown and clear. As implied, it is not an edge paint that's painted onto the leather's surface, but something that is rubbed into and absorbed by the leather, in this case by use of a slicker. Tokonole is my "go to" product for finishing edges, and sometimes to finish the flesh side of leather. 

Tokonole-2.png

15 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Good questions. I don't know what the first gel-like product is (maybe a primer), but the second two products are Tokonole, a burnishing gum that comes in black, brown and clear. As implied, it is not an edge paint that's painted onto the leather's surface, but something that is rubbed into and absorbed by the leather, in this case by use of a slicker. Tokonole is my "go to" product for finishing edges, and sometimes to finish the flesh side of leather. 

Tokonole-2.png

Are you saying that the second TWO products are Tokonle?  Just one black and the other clear?  What would be the point of that?  If you're right, then why not just use black Tokonole, omitting the final clear one?  And you are calling that final milky-looking white product the clear Tokonole?

When folks put out videos like that, most likely aimed at people learning the craft, it would be so nice if they identified the products they use in the video.  Hmm... maybe that's in the Russian description... I'll see if Google Translate can help with that.

It looks like the process is - 

1) Gum tragacanth ------ 2) edge paint ........ 3) Tokonole;  burnished after each application. The edge paint looks too thin to be Fiebings Edge Kote, which is probably why he uses Tokonole as a top coat

My method is to edge bevel & sand, then  -- 1) Gum tragacanth, or more recently Tokonole ......burnish ........2) Fiebings Edge Kote ...... burnish

none of this make any sense to me

one single coat of black tokonole and a quick rub with some canvas would have pretty much the same result.  And he's using too much tokonole. 

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

It looks like the process is - 

1) Gum tragacanth ------ 2) edge paint ........ 3) Tokonole;  burnished after each application. The edge paint looks too thin to be Fiebings Edge Kote, which is probably why he uses Tokonole as a top coat

My method is to edge bevel & sand, then  -- 1) Gum tragacanth, or more recently Tokonole ......burnish ........2) Fiebings Edge Kote ...... burnish

Thank you.  So after your Edge Kote you just burnish and don't apply anything on top?

I did some tests yesterday with Tragacanth first, burnish, Edge Kote, burnish and then Tokolone and maybe the Edge Kote wasn't dry enough (more than an hour) and a lot of the Edge Kote came off onto my burnisher and then onto the canvas I used to really shine it up.  The edge did finish up looking quite good though.

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

none of this make any sense to me

one single coat of black tokonole and a quick rub with some canvas would have pretty much the same result.  And he's using too much tokonole. 

I guess I have to buy some black Tokonole.  I can't remember where I bought my clear Tokonole... probably Amazon, because Tandy Canada doesn't even seem to carry Tokonole at all, only their "TandyPro Burnishing Solution"...  Just found it on Amazon (Canada) and it's quite a bit more expensive than the clear.  I don't have much choice but to order it online.  Probably still cheaper than buying from a US supplier and paying exorbitant shipping.

In terms of just plain edge finishing, is there a difference between using Gum Tragacanth or Tokonole?  It may be my imagination but I felt the GT buffed to a nicer hard shine.

28 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Thank you.  So after your Edge Kote you just burnish and don't apply anything on top?

I did some tests yesterday with Tragacanth first, burnish, Edge Kote, burnish and then Tokolone and maybe the Edge Kote wasn't dry enough (more than an hour) and a lot of the Edge Kote came off onto my burnisher and then onto the canvas I used to really shine it up.  The edge did finish up looking quite good though.

No, I don't put anything on top of the Edge Kote, but I wait till it's really dry, probably 2 or 3 hours, then burnish with a typical wooden burnisher. I haven't tried burnishing with cloth such as canvas or denim, perhaps I will next time 

16 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

In terms of just plain edge finishing, is there a difference between using Gum Tragacanth or Tokonole?  It may be my imagination but I felt the GT buffed to a nicer hard shine.

If you want a buffed glossy edge, the product you use is is the least important thing.  The 1st thing is the leather itself, some leathers just wont shine no matter what, and others you can get a nice edge just with some water and friction.  And the 2nd most important thing is sanding.  When you think that surely you must have sanded enough now, sand more.  And when you're done, sand again :)

20 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I guess I have to buy some black Tokonole.  I can't remember where I bought my clear Tokonole... probably Amazon, because Tandy Canada doesn't even seem to carry Tokonole at all, only their "TandyPro Burnishing Solution"...  Just found it on Amazon (Canada) and it's quite a bit more expensive than the clear.  I don't have much choice but to order it online.  Probably still cheaper than buying from a US supplier and paying exorbitant shipping.

It's one of those things I order months before I run out.  I just go online and order from wherever is cheapest, usually ebay, and then I totally forget all about it, and then months later it shows up from wherever the hell it came from.  Usually japanese or hong kong post stamps on it

I found this video helpful.  Instead of buying canvas I use some denim that was cut off pants, works just as well. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:38 AM, MtlBiker said:

Tandy Canada doesn't even seem to carry Tokonole at all, only their "TandyPro Burnishing Solution"...

As of yesterday ,the Mississauga store  still had few Tokonole left in stock.... a bit over $13 . It looks like it's gonna be a regular stock item 

3 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

As of yesterday ,the Mississauga store  still had few Tokonole left in stock.... a bit over $13 . It looks like it's gonna be a regular stock item 

Thanks, but since I'm in Montreal and cannot visit one of their stores, I have to order what's on their website.  And Tokonole isn't listed.  I did get some though, by ordering through Amazon (much more expensive!).  I've now got enough of the clear and black to last me a good long while.