DanaStanley

What is a good Brand of thread?

So, my CB3200 is on the truck and on the way. Now I need to find a good brand and supplier for thread and needles! Bob from Toledo has A brand made for him under the Cowboy label, I am trying it out, and may be best to just get thread and needles from him. I would however, like to know what else is available. A good thread seems important, and I'm not sure what to look for. Pretty sure I want to stick with bonded nylon! I have some in 138 and 92. Just want to stock tan and black for now. Until I get going. I have, I believe 277 coming with the machine.

I want to make Bags/pouches/vests/chaps/wallets/holsters. I do want to use light to medium weight veg-tan 2-9 or 10 oz and some chrome for chap's vests bags and wallets. So, any insight into thread for my needs would be great.

Edited by DanaStanley

you should change the title of this thread to "What is a good Brand of sewing machine thread for a CB3200?"
You'll get more specific help that way! 

I have not found a bad Bonded Nylon thread so far all seem much of a muchness, dont forget that bonded Poly may be a better choice for outdoor use exposed to a lot of sun

9 hours ago, DanaStanley said:

Now I need to find a good brand and supplier for thread and needles!

What I has never given me any problems is A & E thread. Which is made in both Canada and the US. A good source is WAWAK. There is the US WAWAK link:

https://www.wawak.com/Thread/Thread-By-Brand/AE/

kgg

Call The Thread Exchange in Weaverville, NC . . . 800-915-2320 . . . I did and Jasmine sent me a card with their waxed bonded nylon . . . and they'll send you one if you ask.

Tell them what you are doing . . . and what you want.

Personally . . . I have bonded nylon I bought from Toledo sewing machine and from Tandy . . . and I will use it up hopefully . . . but I'll never buy it again.  It is slick, slippery, flimsy, . . . and an absolute pain in the rear to put thru a needle.  And that says nothing about it touching anything hard . . .  including a piece of hard leather . . .  it will fray and come apart . . . you will have to stop the machine . . . cut the thread . . . trim the thread off your project . . . back up 2 or 3 stitches . . .  and start up again.

And that is after you have spent 5 minutes trying to get the whole thread thru the eye of a size 25 or 26 needle.  It usually is 2 minutes . . . quit . . . go get a coffee . . . drink half of it . . . and try again.

OR . . . if you really have a special project where you want to hide the double stitches . . . you will have to "un sew" all you have done.  

No . . . it does not happen often . . . but it DOES HAPPEN . . .  and it can be frustrating as the devil.

Other than that . . . the thread "will work" . . . but my opinion on a 1 to 10 scale is about a 2.

And if anyone wants to buy it . . . because you like it . . . PM me and we may work out a deal.

But back to the main topic . . . DanaStanley . . .  call those folks up at the Thread Exchange . . . I have not bought anything from them yet . . . will later this month . . . but so far they seem to be a really good outfit.

May God bless,

Dwight